AS the populaton in Southern Maryland grow

Greenline

When will SoMD stop being so disconnected from the rest of the state and allow some sort of transit come down there?

I'm surprised Metro goes all the way out to Shady Grove in Montgomery county which is further from downtown DC than Waldorf is but yet, no green line extension to Charles county, or even Clinton.

Theres probably something preventing that, but even a light rail should be considered and have it run on the median of Rt.5 to ST. Charles Mall.

I can't get over the fact that metro covers way more ground in Mont. Co and NOVA but service is pretty scarce in Prince George's county and SoMD. There is only one metro station that goes outside of the beltway in PG and thats Largo Town Center.

Kinda sad...
Thats the type of mess that Atlanta is going through.
I think its time for the state of Maryland to use eminent domain and build transit outside of the beltway in PG county and to the Waldorf/St. Charles area in SoMd.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I think its time for the state of Maryland to use eminent domain and build transit outside of the beltway in PG county and to the Waldorf/St. Charles area in SoMd.

Ok, volunteer your home and land to be taken away first.

BOP

I'll volunteer mine.

'course, it's in the Ranch Estates, so not too far out of the way. :lol:

I'd hold out for what I paid for it plus moving expenses, and I'd be golden!

You don't ever own land in America... you just rent it from the government until they see fit to evict you.

limblips

PREMO Member
When will SoMD stop being so disconnected from the rest of the state and allow some sort of transit come down there?

Theres probably something preventing that, but even a light rail should be considered and have it run on the median of Rt.5 to ST. Charles Mall.

I can't get over the fact that metro covers way more ground in Mont. Co and NOVA but service is pretty scarce in Prince George's county and SoMD. There is only one metro station that goes outside of the beltway in PG and thats Largo Town Center.

We have a two lane road to our state capitol and you want light rail? I would prefer another Calvert crossing, upgrading Route 2 to a four lane before light rail. They could build light rail with the money left over from the these projects!:sarcasm:

Clem_Shady

You don't ever own land in America... you just rent it from the government until they see fit to evict you.

:dingding:

That's why I get a kick out of all those snobs sticking their chests out and bragging that they are "home owners."

Nobody owns chit. They're just renting from the government instead of someone else who's renting it from the government and acting as a middleman to rent the place.

:killingme

It would be nice, but you have to remember that for easy as it would be for us to get to DC, so would it be easy for DC to get to us. Can you imagine a low-cost direct pipeline for drugs to Lexington Park? The increase in crime because of easy access to SoMD? How about those nice relaxing weekends we spend going for a ride, visiting the the sights, stopping for apples? Now imagine that with so many out-of-towners that there won't be any apples left.

I'd love to have fast easy trasportation to DC, but only if you can keep DC in DC. And since we can't, forget it.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

SoMD tends to be economically productive and politically conservative.
Neither of those things will curry favor from the demoratly controlled state legislature

County_Boy

I'm surprised Metro goes all the way out to Shady Grove in Montgomery county which is further from downtown DC than Waldorf is but yet, no green line extension to Charles county, or even Clinton.

Kinda sad...
Thats the type of mess that Atlanta is going through.

Maybe it would be easier for you to just move up the road.
Sooner rather than Later !

zimmie

Whatever you don't like about DC is already here in Southern Maryland and growing and it's not just in Waldorf...DC is changing too, in just the opposite direction

Gas prices aren't going back below $3 a gallon again.....living 35 miles from the "city" is becoming less and less attractive if your employment takes you there...

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
The idea for light rail is nice for SoMD but I DON'T want it! I'll drive my 90 mile a day commute just for the piece and quiet of SoMD. I moved from Waldorf to get away from the madness, crime, traffic and rude people.

If you read the Rail Trail signs they say the trail could be used for future light rail use...I hope not in my lifetime.

OldHillcrestGuy

Being one of the old timers on here, I grew up in Hillcrest Heights, was a great place to be a kid.

Many years ago before Metro, when the plans first came out for building the Metro System, the Green line was to as far down as the split at 301 and 5 in Brandywine. Well the more affluent people who lived over toward 210, Indian Head Hwy, complained that they wanted the line to go out toward Rosecroft Raceway and closer to them. It went on for years, about where the Green line was going to go, politics played a big part in it, and I beleive it even went to court. All this took many years and when the money came available to build the various lines the Green line got passed over because of all the feuding as to which way it should go. So once everything settled down the Branch Ave route was chosen and the Green was built, and if I remember correctly at one time they almost dumped building the Green line altogether. Because after waiting so many years the cost of building it skyrocketed. It was the last leg of the Metro System to be built and the others had been built for several years before the Green line was ever finished. Guess we were lucky to at least get it to Branch and Beltway.