You took the words out of my mouth

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
http://www.freep.com/sports/albom/mitch8_20040208.htm

But comparing the Beatles and Janet Jackson, it's the music that's the relevant topic. The Beatles were controversial because of their music and style. Jackson was controversial only because she went semi-naked.

And I guess that's what saddens people my age. We truly connected to the songs of our artists -- because we didn't have video. They didn't play the Super Bowl. If the song couldn't stand on its own, musically, it disappeared. Stripping didn't help it.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:cool: You know - I have to agree with that line of thinking. We did not have "videos" to further enhance the songs back then.

A song either stood on it's merits, the melody or the lyrics, or the instrumental prowess of these folks, and it made a hit or it didn't.

Maybe this is an epitaph to the type of music we listened to back then, because they said something, without being gross, or having to "sex-it-up" with the dress(or lack of it)to titillate(sp?) your fantasies.

It wasn't needed.

I guess today's music ain't got no soul.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Re: Re: You took the words out of my mouth

Originally posted by penncam
[B... because they said something, without being gross, or having to "sex-it-up" with the dress(or lack of it)to titillate(sp?) your fantasies.. [/B]

:confused: Louie-Louie?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Let's not forget the evils of the hokey-pokey. Putting warious body part "in" and then shaking them all about :yikes:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Re: Re: Re: You took the words out of my mouth

Originally posted by aps45819
:confused: Louie-Louie?
:biggrin: Yeah, OK. It seemed nobody really knew what in he!! those guys were saying in that song!

They kind of left it to your imagination; make of it what you will.

I also seem to remember the song was banned in Boston, or London - something like that. And some radio stations wouldn't play it for a while.

The Hokey-Pokey? I thought (BTW, that's a little before my time, but I've heard it somewheres) they were talking about "putting your right foot in, take your left foot out, do the Hokey-Pokey.....", etc.?

So, some songs gave one a sense of risque, but you weren't really sure.

But if you think about it, only since music videos made their way onto VH-1 and MTV did we start seeing true erotic groping and crotch-grabbing. Some of the dancing the kids are doing out on the dancefloor, is downright obscene; they might as well be fornicating. Can you tell the difference?

Anybody remember Dire Straits and their song "Money for Nothing" back in the 80's?

One of the lines - "look at that mama, stickin' it in the camera, that ain't workin - that's the way you do it...."

Seemed like it was a parody of what music and it's videos had become.....on the MTV.

Today, there ain't no doubt about it; it's like hardcore sex is the only way to go when a song is accompanied by a video. Even if the song is mediocre, the open message of sex in that video is there to remind you of it.

It is all about money.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Re: Re: Re: You took the words out of my mouth

:biggrin: Yeah, OK. It seemed nobody really knew what in he!! those guys were saying in that song!

Isn't it funny that the FBI investigated the song because the bureau automatically assumed that Louie Louie had naughty lyrics? Says a lot about Hoover's mindset.

Here are the lyrics: http://www.louielouie.org/louielouielyrics.htm

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You took the words out of my mouth

Originally posted by Tonio
Isn't it funny that the FBI investigated the song because the bureau automatically assumed that Louie Louie had naughty lyrics? Says a lot about Hoover's mindset.

Here are the lyrics: http://www.louielouie.org/louielouielyrics.htm
:cool: I think it was the third verse, where some people interchanged some different words from what was being sung.

But looking at the words, I'm not sure how we ever got the idea it was risque!

Maybe it was because he seemed to "slur" the phrases.

Thanks for posting it.:cheers:

B

Bruzilla

Mariah Carey's career was kept alive long after it was smelling of rot because she would just wear less and less on each new video. A lot of people just focused on her bod rather than the fact that every song was the same as the last song, just with different words. It wasn't until she pudged up that everyone noticed that her post-divorice music sucked.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You took the words out of my mouth

:cool: I think it was the third verse, where some people interchanged some different words from what was being sung.

But looking at the words, I'm not sure how we ever got the idea it was risque!

Maybe it was because he seemed to "slur" the phrases.

Thanks for posting it.:cheers:

You're welcome. The Kingsmen's version was recorded with one mike in a really bad setting acoustically, so it's no wonder that no one could understand the Rasta-man lyrics.