St. Mary's teachers want to "work to rule"

And they want the average Joe to approve of their tactic of holding little Johnny's and Mary's educational well-being as hostage so they can get their pay raises?

Well, here's a bit of news for these so called educators: the U.S. is $14 Trillion dollars in debt, there are millions of people who have lost their jobs in the past few years, millions of homes have been foreclosed on, many private, local, and state employees all over the country haven't seen a pay raise in 2-3 years, 60% of all OUR taxes go to fund education, and YOU HAVE THE UNMITIGATED GALL TO CALL FOR A "WORK TO RULE" PROTEST! And don't even try to tell everyone it's not about your pay but about how much we spend per pupil. No one forced any educator to go into the field and no one is forcing you to stay there.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
:cds:
You know, when I was a kid and the teachers were having issues with salary negotiations and went to "work to rule" they did it for more than one day. They did it for weeks if need be. Basically this Friday's work to rule protest amounts to them not spending their spring break grading papers. Perhaps they want to spend that time with their families instead.

I have a number of issues with the way the BOE is handling this budget thing. Much of their tactics amount to emotional blackmail. But the fact that teachers are leaving for Spring Break on time and actually taking that time off doesn't bother me in the least. It hardly qualifies as a protest at all.

Pete

Repete
I think they should do it every day. I don't expect anyone with a job to work for free.

Clem_Shady

And they want the average Joe to approve of their tactic of holding little Johnny's and Mary's educational well-being as hostage so they can get their pay raises?

Well, here's a bit of news for these so called educators: the U.S. is $14 Trillion dollars in debt, there are millions of people who have lost their jobs in the past few years, millions of homes have been foreclosed on, many private, local, and state employees all over the country haven't seen a pay raise in 2-3 years, 60% of all OUR taxes go to fund education, and YOU HAVE THE UNMITIGATED GALL TO CALL FOR A "WORK TO RULE" PROTEST! And don't even try to tell everyone it's not about your pay but about how much we spend per pupil. No one forced any educator to go into the field and no one is forcing you to stay there.

Look at the idiot that posted this and ask yourself if kid's today are smarter and better off than they were when he was one?

They are; teacher's did that.

We can't fix his gene pool, but we can stop him from screwing up our children's education.

Sign the petition and tell this loser to STFU...

https://marylandeducators.wufoo.com/forms/petition-protect-st-marys-county-schools/

:popcorn:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I think they should do it every day. I don't expect anyone with a job to work for free.

Just remember, the work to "rule" are union rules. The same unions that have totally screwed up public education.

Dymphna

Just remember, the work to "rule" are union rules. The same unions that have totally screwed up public education.
The "rule" is what was agreed to and signed in the contract with the school board.

There is no rule saying that teachers have to take papers home to grade. There is no rule that teachers have to stay late at school to mentor extracurricular activities, have teacher conferences, plan lessons or anything else. That's why every teacher has a planning time built into their schedule.

Southern Belle

Teachers complaining about their pay, hmmmm. Wish I could get paid for sitting at home on snow days, get the summer off, winter & spring breaks, and paid holidays. WTF, it seems the're off more then they work. I say if you don't like your job or salary then get another one. I'm sure there is someone out there who needs a job and would be appreciative to have one.

tom88

I didn't go to public schools so I am not familiar with this work to the rule. Could someone explain it?

Dymphna

I didn't go to public schools so I am not familiar with this work to the rule. Could someone explain it?
The teachers will fulfill the terms of their contract and no more. They will the work the stipulated number of hours they are required to work. They will not stay late or go in early. They will not take papers home to grade. They will not check their work email or make work related phone calls after hours.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

They will only do the work their unions negotiated.

Not anything that would benefit the students beyond that.

Unions make the rules, not students, not parents.

laynpipe

good for the teachers. i hope their stand makes a difference. in fact, i hope they move to a work to rule for the duration of the school year. for decades teachers have been crapped on my parents, BOE, students, principals etc.... even in todays age they continued to get the short end of the stick. the public needs to realize that these people devote more then the standard work day to educate our children. teachers are the very group that mold our children into productive adults.

treat our teachers with respect, pay them what they are worth, honor your contracts with them. after all, they deserve it. anyone who thinks they dont should try and teach a third grade class of heathens for a day......

BernieP

Resident PIA
The "rule" is what was agreed to and signed in the contract with the school board.

Here' where I have a problem with teachers' unions, are they professionals, salaried employees or hourly labor?
I was taught that a "professional" recieved a salary to get the job done. If that meant working some casual overtime then so be it. Casual overtime was covered by your salary. I have worked for companies that have "required" casual overtime - salary quoted on a 40 hour work week, paid overtime was hours authorized in excess of 45 or 48 hours in the week.
As a professional I didn't belong to a union, I negotiated my own contract, my compensation was based on my credentials and the market, not by leveraging public opinion.

Back to work to rule. That is their right, if that's what they feel they must do, then so be it. They have to look at themselves in the mirror and decide if they are a professional or just another hourly employee, just like the custodial staff.

BernieP

Resident PIA
They will only do the work their unions negotiated.

Not anything that would benefit the students beyond that.

Unions make the rules, not students, not parents.

Complete sentences really do help, "They will only do the work their union negotiated with the board of education as described in the contract"

Your second sentence is more or less factual, by definition if they are "working to rule" they will do only what is specified in the contract.

Your last sentence is incorrect and is contradicted by your first sentence.
The union negotiated a contract with the board of education, the union did not unilaterally "make the rules". The terms of the contract, the rules, were agreed to by all parties. Parents and students are not direct parties to the contract though they are technically represented by the board of education, those that were ELECTED to do so.
Have a problem, pick up the phone and call the people who represented you on the last contract negotiation.

tom88

Complete sentences really do help, "They will only do the work their union negotiated with the board of education as described in the contract"

Your second sentence is more or less factual, by definition if they are "working to rule" they will do only what is specified in the contract.

Your last sentence is incorrect and is contradicted by your first sentence.
The union negotiated a contract with the board of education, the union did not unilaterally "make the rules". The terms of the contract, the rules, were agreed to by all parties. Parents and students are not direct parties to the contract though they are technically represented by the board of education, those that were ELECTED to do so.
Have a problem, pick up the phone and call the people who represented you on the last contract negotiation.

So work to the rule is where the teachers do the work they agreed to do in their contract. And people have a problem with that?

laynpipe

this is not a "union" thing. this discussion should be about our children. laying off teachers, cutting educational spending affects the kids and their education. dont turn this thread into a union bashing issue. teachers have a union.....so what. who's protecting and standing up with the childrens education ?? the very ones that are supposed to be are not. instead they cut from the program.....

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
this is not a "union" thing. this discussion should be about our children. laying off teachers, cutting educational spending affects the kids and their education. dont turn this thread into a union bashing issue. teachers have a union.....so what. who's protecting and standing up with the childrens education ?? the very ones that are supposed to be are not. instead they cut from the program.....

It is totally a "union" thing. Whose rules are they working to. The union rules. Non-union workers cannot get a hair up their butt and tell their employers I am not going to do anything but what is exactly in my job description, no matter what is necessary to get the job done. They would be fired. The teachers can because they are protected by unions and the unions are the ones telling them to "work to rule".