La Plata High School and McDonough High School

Nolan

Hell everyone. I am a high school student who has recently moved to Southern Maryland and I was just wondering: what is the distance between La Plata High School and McDonough High School? According to my mother, La Plata is closer to where we live, but I am much more interested in attending McDonough. Their theatre program looks to be far superior, and their educational statistics aren't anything to scoff at either.

I looked around the Internet for over an hour yesterday but I couldn't find any useful information. Any information you could offer would be appreciated.

P.S.: I would also like to know which theatre program you, the residents of SM, think is better.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Distance to either school doesn't matter -- you will have to attend the school you are zoned for, based on your residence. Charles County cracked down on "cheaters" a few years ago so, whether or not you can attend an out-of-zone school will depend on whether that school has non-allocated seats available for students outside their zone. You would have to call the individual schools or Student Services at 301-934-7326. Try these:

School Locator

Zoning Maps

88stringslouie

Stay away from McDononough

Distance to either school doesn't matter -- you will have to attend the school you are zoned for, based on your residence. Charles County cracked down on "cheaters" a few years ago so, whether or not you can attend an out-of-zone school will depend on whether that school has non-allocated seats available for students outside their zone. You would have to call the individual schools or Student Services at 301-934-7326. Try these:

School Locator

Zoning Maps

If you have to go to chuck county schools, the best one is by far La Plata H.S.
Get your arts fix at CSM or Port Tobacco Players. The choral department and the theater are great at McDonough, but academically, it's the pits.

slowlane

The schools are 10 minutes apart. You can data on them both here GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community . From what I recall, out of all 6 Charles County public HS's, LaPlata always has the highest test scores, and McDonough usually the second highest. The attendance zone boundary between the two, is generally Highway 301 -- although some students from Saint Charles also attend McDonough.

The head pastor of the largest church in Charles County lives right beside LPHS, and yet his son attends McDonough for the acting program.

By all means, check out the Port Tobacco Players (see their website), and College of Southern Maryland's theater programs, including their annual winter children's show.

Last edited:
I graduated 6 years ago from LPHS, and i must say that I loved the school. I dont know how it is now, but we have Homecoming Parades that shut down the town of La Plata, and EVERYONE came to it. The teachers were great and our theatre was very very goood. We have (or had) the largest audtiorium out of all the high schools. )(North Point just opened after i graudated, so not sure about theres. ) MHS has a good theatre program as well, but of course i would choose LPHS as the best of the 2. As someone mentioned earlier, its not how close you live to the schools, its all about zoning, and u would have to call to see what you are zoned for. But, LPHS is ur best choice, in my honest opnion.

WH401

I graduated from LPHS 6 years ago as well, and I would still have to say that it's one of the best high schools in the county. I say that based on a fair average between the clientel of kids, academics, faculty/administration, and the current state of the theater department. As others have said though, it comes down to zoning, and with current overcrowdedness of CCPS, you'll most likely be going where your told.

bcp

In My Opinion
I graduated 6 years ago from LPHS, and i must say that I loved the school. I dont know how it is now, but we have Homecoming Parades that shut down the town of La Plata, and EVERYONE came to it. The teachers were great and our theatre was very very goood. We have (or had) the largest audtiorium out of all the high schools. )(North Point just opened after i graudated, so not sure about theres. ) MHS has a good theatre program as well, but of course i would choose LPHS as the best of the 2. As someone mentioned earlier, its not how close you live to the schools, its all about zoning, and u would have to call to see what you are zoned for. But, LPHS is ur best choice, in my honest opnion.
don't
theater
auditorium
graduated
Theirs
I
you
your
opinion