Cable / Internet & Schools

MarieB

I'm new to the area (Lexington Park) and am currently trying to decide between Cable and Satellite. I've read a few of the older threads here, but since services change so much I'd like to get some current opinions. We had FIOS previously (about $155 a month Total for Internet/Phone/Cable) for very good service and fast internet. I will for sure have to use the cable company for internet, as DSL just wouldn't work for me. How is the satellite tv reception?

I've read a bunch of threads about preschools. I noticed on different sites that the pre-k programs at preschools here are limited to age 4 1/2 or so. Are there not 5 year old pre-k programs, or do you at that point find a private kinder? Is it common/typical to hold back younger 5 year olds?

Thanks in advance!

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm new to the area (Lexington Park) and am currently trying to decide between Cable and Satellite. I've read a few of the older threads here, but since services change so much I'd like to get some current opinions. We had FIOS previously (about $155 a month Total for Internet/Phone/Cable) for very good service and fast internet. I will for sure have to use the cable company for internet, as DSL just wouldn't work for me. How is the satellite tv reception?

I've read a bunch of threads about preschools. I noticed on different sites that the pre-k programs at preschools here are limited to age 4 1/2 or so. Are there not 5 year old pre-k programs, or do you at that point find a private kinder? Is it common/typical to hold back younger 5 year olds?

Thanks in advance!

As far as the SMCPS is concerned, if the kid is 4 on or before Sep 1, 2011, they start pre-k. If the kid is 5 on or before Sep 1, 2011, they start in K.

Early Childhood | Curriculum and Instruction @ smcps.org

BernieP

Resident PIA
If DSL wasn't good enough for you, then don't bother with satellite tv. Just hand your money over to metrocast and get their package deal.

If you can settle for DSL, then you can get a package from Verizon where they include your satelitte (at least with Directv).

Satellite reception is going to depend on several factors, the company you choose and where you can locate your dish(s). In the last storm we lost (briefly) the high def feed. The storm cell was bad enough to disrupt reception from that satellite. It's rate but it happens. While I am happy with the service, the technicians they sent out are not always so good. They did a crappy job of installing the antenna. One tech refused to run wires through the crawl space because he was afraid of spiders. (he didn't know what was in there). However, there are private contractors who will do the installation.

Several churches run Pre-k programs, as do the daycare centers. For the official policy you should contact the SMCPS in Leonardtown (Moakly Street).
I am not aware of any "policy" on holding back. Actually from our experience they would prefer to moave them forward, even when the parent questions if holding back might be appropriate.

MarieB

Thanks for the info! I had only looked up info on pre-k, so I didn't realize that it was a state law that kiddos enter kinder if they are 5 on Sept 1st. That has thrown me a bit, but perhaps in the end it makes it easier :) Where I'm from, most late summer birthday kiddos start the following year.

What is the Metrocast service like? Their prices are high. I've never had good service from "monopoly" cable companies, but it's not like I"m expecting any better.

BernieP

Resident PIA
What is the Metrocast service like? Their prices are high. I've never had good service from "monopoly" cable companies, but it's not like I"m expecting any better.

It's all going to depend on where you live, new development, older area. A planned "community" versus a single, more rural lot.

Pre digital the system had built in noise. The main broadcast antenna (reception) was in Leonardtown next to the SMECO substaton - the transformer was noisy and introduced noise into the signal. There was nothing they could do about it, the antenna was where they were told to put it.
SMECO lines were also a source of problems on the poles as well - noise.

We dropped metrocast years ago because we just couldn't afford their digital service along with the Directv. We get DTV for some sports packages that just were not available on Metrocast.