PaxRiver

Enhanced-use lease proposal

Has anyone hear much about this? Any thoughts? I guess the idea is for the Navy to allow unused land on the base to be developed and lease it to contractors. Would this be just the contractors that already work on base or the ones that work outside now and may come on occasianally if at all?

glhs837

Power with Control
If the prices were reasonable, I can see companies shutting down offices off base and moving on base. Would brutalize the local office space owners.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
From what I've heard, it would be the section right after Gate 2's entrance to the left.

There's been discussion as to what it would mean for the gate entrance, and they've discussed moving the gate some - having the first gate entranceway go for the contractors who'd be working there. While another gate entrance would be built further up for folks with base entry.

I believe there is a lot of ongoing discussion on how to work out the logistics and security concerns, but nothing is definite as of yet.

I've also heard that a lot of the possible businesses going in, along with the St Marys County Commissioners have a lot of questions that remain to be answered by the feds prior to any committing on their behalf.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Enhanced-use lease proposal

Has anyone hear much about this? Any thoughts? I guess the idea is for the Navy to allow unused land on the base to be developed and lease it to contractors. Would this be just the contractors that already work on base or the ones that work outside now and may come on occasianally if at all?

It's been in the news (off and on) for about 6 months or more. The Navy process to get the funding to build the needed office space is very time consuming. Under this plan the Navy would allow a private developer to build the facility and the Navy would lease it back.

If the prices were reasonable, I can see companies shutting down offices off base and moving on base. Would brutalize the local office space owners.

There are government personnel housed in off base offices and the desire is to move them back on base, "behind the fence". The odds are that with expanded office space on base, more support contractors would be co-located on base, reducing the amount of space contractors would need.

The companies themselves would not move on base, nor would all employees.

A local developer has raised his objections to the plan, saying just that, that it would reduce the demand for off base office space, not only would it slow down development, it could cause current space to become vacant and eventually be removed from the tax rolls.

He also raised the issue that people on base are less likely to spend money off base during those liquid lunches. Not to worry, I think traffic has done more to keep people in their office then anything else. Anybody here try to drive down Great Mills Rd form 2235 during the lunch hours? Not worth the hassle.

BTW, the Navy has countered in today's Enterprise that this space is needed to defend against the dreaded B word - BRAC.

Historically speaking, the decision to BRAC a facility is predetermined. If the DOD is thinking of closing PaxRiver in a BRAC, there isn't much the Navy can do to defend against it. BRAC is as much a political tool as it is economic.
Reducing Pax and St. Inigoes would be a big F U to Steny.