Jesus is who He is or was a lunitic

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
The Patriot Post said:
"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic -- on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg -- or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." --British author C.S. Lewis (1898-1963)
"I still can't help wondering how we can explain away what to me is the greatest miracle of all and which is recorded in history. No one denies there was such a man, that he lived and that he was put to death by crucifixion. Where ... is the miracle I spoke of? Well consider this and let your imagination translate the story into our own time -- possibly to your own home town. A young man whose father is a carpenter grows up working in his father's shop. One day he puts down his tools and walks out of his father's shop. He starts preaching on street corners and in the nearby countryside, walking from place to place, preaching all the while, even though he is not an ordained minister. He never gets farther than an area perhaps 100 miles wide at the most. He does this for three years. Then he is arrested, tried and convicted. There is no court of appeal, so he is executed at age 33 along with two common thieves. Those in charge of his execution roll dice to see who gets his clothing -- the only possessions he has. His family cannot afford a burial place for him so he is interred in a borrowed tomb. End of story? No, this uneducated, property-less young man has, for 2,000 years, had a greater effect on the world than all the rulers, kings, emperors; all the conquerors, generals and admirals, all the scholars, scientists and philosophers who have ever lived -- all of them put together. How do we explain that -- unless He really was what He said He was?" --President Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

From your brothers and sisters at The Patriot Post, we wish you a blessed day in celebration of our Savior.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
He would either be a lunatic...
That would imply that those who put their faith in him are also lunatics, and I do not believe that to be so. If he was 'just a man', he would be joined with thousands of other great spiritual speakers throughout history, all of whom were equally firm in their beliefs.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
That would imply that those who put their faith in him are also lunatics, and I do not believe that to be so. If he was 'just a man', he would be joined with thousands of other great spiritual speakers throughout history, all of whom were equally firm in their beliefs.

You miss something very important. Jesus is God and He said so. If He was not, He was a lunatic to claim so, and if He is not, then all those who follow Him are equally crazy.

But Jesus is God. He is who He claimed to be, and all those that follow Him in truth are destined for glory.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
The undeniable fact of the Resurrection that we celebrate on Sunday, is the one event that separates Christianity from every other religion in the world. It also proves that Jesus is exactly who He says He is: God.

Notice in v19 below that Jesus said "I" will raise it in 3 days? Notice also (in Acts 2:24) that Peter said: God raised Him from the dead...? Peter said God will, and Jesus said He will. That means that Jesus was equating Himself with God, so He had to prove it to the people; Which He did by resurrecting Himself from the dead:

18 The Jews then responded to him, “What sign can you show us to prove your authority to do all this?”

19 Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.”

20 They replied, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?” 21 But the temple he had spoken of was his body. 22 After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken. (John 2)

This is by far, my favorite and the most beautiful song I've ever heard! It says it all! Whenever I sing it or hear it sung, I get misty eyed :shrug:

thatguy

The undeniable fact of the Resurrection that we celebrate on Sunday, is the one event that separates Christianity from every other religion in the world. It also proves that Jesus is exactly who He says He is: God.
maybe one day when you grow up you will understand the difference between a fact and something that you take on faith. the resurrection of christ is certtainly debatable, and far frlm "fact".

as for the op, why couldn't christ be crazy (to claim he was a god) AND a great moral teacher? the two are not mutally exclusive.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
maybe one day when you grow up you will understand the difference between a fact and something that you take on faith. the resurrection of christ is certtainly debatable, and far frlm "fact".

as for the op, why couldn't christ be crazy (to claim he was a god) AND a great moral teacher? the two are not mutally exclusive.

Amazing that the Roman Army, the Jewish Sanhedrin, Herod, Pilate, and a whole host of others that had a vested interest in finding the dead body of Jesus never found one. All they had to do was do that to prove Jesus was just a man. They could not and did not.

Amazing also that the disciples of Jesus went from being timid shirkers, deniers of Jesus (Peter), and doubters (especially Thomas) to being bold and willing to die because they absolutely knew that Jesus rose from the dead and ascended into heaven.

What happened to the disciples?
  1. Judas - hung himself for betraying Jesus
  2. Andrew - crucified
  3. Bartholomew - crucified upside down
  4. James, Son of Alphaeus - stoned to death
  5. James, Son of Zebedee - killed with sword
  6. John, brother of James and son of Zebedee - boiled in oil, banished by Domitian the king to the isle of Patmos
  7. Matthew/Levi - died of natural causes
  8. Peter was crucified
  9. Paul was beheaded
  10. Philip was crucified
  11. Simon the Zealot died of natural causes
  12. Thaddaeus/Judas son of James died of natural causes
  13. Thomas (the doubter) was was thrust through in the four members of his body with a pine spear
Nice that some managed to die of natural causes, but most died torturous deaths. All they had to do was deny Jesus and they would have been spared. Obviously they knew something that made them not fear death.

In most courts, the testimony of two witnesses is enough. There is far more testimony than two that Jesus rose from the dead and ascended into heaven.

Toxick

Splat
What happened to the disciples?
  1. Judas - hung himself for betraying Jesus
  2. Andrew - crucified
  3. Bartholomew - crucified upside down
  4. James, Son of Alphaeus - stoned to death
  5. James, Son of Zebedee - killed with sword
  6. John, brother of James and son of Zebedee - boiled in oil, banished by Domitian the king to the isle of Patmos
  7. Matthew/Levi - died of natural causes
  8. Peter was crucified
  9. Paul was beheaded
  10. Philip was crucified
  11. Simon the Zealot died of natural causes
  12. Thaddaeus/Judas son of James died of natural causes
  13. Thomas (the doubter) was was thrust through in the four members of his body with a pine spear
Nice that some managed to die of natural causes, but most died torturous deaths. All they had to do was deny Jesus and they would have been spared. Obviously they knew something that made them not fear death.

And this - at least in my mind - is one of the most compelling arguments in favor of the resurrection that can be made.

These are men who would have KNOWN if the resurrection was false. They would have KNOWN if it were a big hoax. These are not your typical religious zealots who kill and die over their beliefs. These are the very men who would know for sure.

Many zealots give up their life for what they believe.

Nobody gives up their life for what they know is a lie.