Zoo

atrusomder

Isaiah 55:8-9
Wasn't sure where to place this as it obviously doesn't belong in "Life in SoMD" but....

Opinions needed. Wanted to take the kids to the Zoo-
What do you recommend DC or Baltimore?

Your preference and why, based on experiences only....... TIA

Restless

My opinion

Wasn't sure where to place this as it obviously doesn't belong in "Life in SoMD" but....

We haven't been to the Baltimore Zoo in a couple of years. The last time that we were there it was around $12 to get in for adults. It seemed like a lot of the exhibits were closed down. We heard gunshots while we were inside too. It's not in a very nice neighborhood.

We like the DC Zoo. They have done quite a bit of upgrading. It's free too! The expensive part is the parking! $20 per car. There are lots of animals. Follow the map closely so you don't miss anything. We especially like to see the orangatans when they are outside on their tower/ropelines. So cool.

Maybe someone else will have a little more info. on the Baltimore Zoo. Hope this has helped!

kk2187

I've never been to the Baltimore zoo but we went to the DC zoo last fall with 2 young kids and they really enjoyed it. It's a lot of walking though so they were pooped.. If your kids are small enough for the carts/strollers I would recommend getting them so they can rest between exhibits. It's a lot for their little legs!

Depending on how many people you have going, it's probably cheaper/easier to just ride the metro. There's a stop on either side of the zoo with just a short walk to the main entrance. I can't remember which stops they are though, but I think they're on the red line.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
I've never been to the Baltimore zoo but we went to the DC zoo last fall with 2 young kids and they really enjoyed it. It's a lot of walking though so they were pooped.. If your kids are small enough for the carts/strollers I would recommend getting them so they can rest between exhibits. It's a lot for their little legs!

Depending on how many people you have going, it's probably cheaper/easier to just ride the metro. There's a stop on either side of the zoo with just a short walk to the main entrance. I can't remember which stops they are though, but I think they're on the red line.

Do you happen to know if they have scooters to rent there? My Mom would love to go there but recently had surgery and wouldn't be able to walk that distance. I'd definitely bring my son's stroller because he's getting too heavy to carry.

kk2187

Do you happen to know if they have scooters to rent there? My Mom would love to go there but recently had surgery and wouldn't be able to walk that distance. I'd definitely bring my son's stroller because he's getting too heavy to carry.

From the zoo website:

Non-motorized wheelchairs are available from the Visitor Center Information Desk (near Lot A) and the Information Kiosks at Panda Plaza (Lots A/B) and Lion/Tiger Hill (Lot D). There is no charge for non-motorized wheelchairs.

Electronic convenience vehicles are available for a $25 rental fee (for the whole day) at the Visitor Center and the Information Kiosks at Panda Plaza and Lion/Tiger Hill. They are available on a first-come first-served basis.

All Zoo exhibits are wheelchair-accessible. However, please be aware that the Zoo is located on hilly terrain in Rock Creek Park.

If you need more info :smile:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser

Woodley Park/Zoo/Adams Morgan and Cleveland Park. We always get off at the Adams Morgan stop.

kk2187

Woodley Park/Zoo/Adams Morgan and Cleveland Park. We always get off at the Adams Morgan stop.

Thanks! And I think it's on a hill, so after all of that walking, I think Cleveland park is the stop uphill lol.. so we opted for Adams Morgan.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Baltimore Zoo...It's not in a very nice neighborhood.
Given that there was a stabbing at the DC zoo yesterday, the same could be said of it.

Either zoo has pros and cons. It's been 5 or 6 years since I went to the DC one...lots of variety, easy access, free admission (really expensive food and trinkets to make up for it). It's been 20 years since I went to the B-more zoo, so I barely remember it. Both require that you spend as little time as possible in the surrounding neighborhood if you value your life, but the zoo itself is ok, safetywise.

If the neighborhood bothers you, try Catoctin Wildlife Preserve & Zoo | Catoctin Mountain Park Maryland | Wildlife Conservation Society it's a nice, safe little zoo, prices slightly cheaper than Baltimore, similar travel time, half the number of animals, no elephants :ohwell: but some seriously close up exhibits.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Either zoo has pros and cons. It's been 5 or 6 years since I went to the DC one...lots of variety, easy access, free admission (really expensive food and trinkets to make up for it). It's been 20 years since I went to the B-more zoo, so I barely remember it. Both require that you spend as little time as possible in the surrounding neighborhood if you value your life, but the zoo itself is ok, safetywise.

I love the houses and apartment buildings on the walk from the Adams Morgan metro station to the zoo.

Dymphna

I love the houses and apartment buildings on the walk from the Adams Morgan metro station to the zoo.
:shrug: We drove last time...I'm going as a field trip chaperon next week, so I can report in again later.

Katelin

one day the dark will end

National Zoo....hands down.
More animals on exhibit...better views to see animals....FREE to walk in.
My favorite place to photograph animals!!!

B.more Zoo...old tired, small enclosures,,...really needs a make over.

Go to National and have an great time!
Safe as anyplace...just be aware of what is going on around you...

:howdy:

atrusomder

Isaiah 55:8-9
Thanks for all the input.

My kids are old enough to walk themselves- no piggybacks or shoulderlifts.
When they're tired of walking that means it's time to go...:killingme

I've never been to the National Zoo- and only once to the B-more Zoo which was well over 10 years ago.

Thanks KK for the link and Dymph- Let me know how your "chaperone" trip goes... I'm curious now...

Dymphna

Back from the zoo...

There's a lot of construction going on. The elephant house is closed, although the elephants can be viewed when they are outside, which is apparently most of the day. They are also doing construction on a seal/sea lion enclosure that is being built in the location where I THINK the bears used to be. According to the map, there are bears, but they aren't easy to get to because of the construction. We didn't actually go looking for them.

No giraffes, although I remember seeing them a few years ago. The construction on the Elephant exhibit may be interfering with that because as I recall, where the elephants are now is where the giraffes were before.

Many of the animals were asleep when we got there in the morning, but the Orangutans were on the move, swinging from the ropes over the sidewalk that are set up for that purpose. That was kinda cool.

3.5 hours wasn't enough to see it all, but that's all we had. It took us an hour and 15 minutes to get up there and almost 2 hours to get back to St. Mary's County and we left late enough in the morning and early enough in the afternoon to miss rush hour.

We brought food and ate in a picnic area in the middle of the park. The food they have is kind of expensive. The souvenirs were reasonable, though.

Attachments

• orangutan small.jpg
    orangutan small.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 70

4ps

Funny you should mention gun shots

We haven't been to the Baltimore Zoo in a couple of years. The last time that we were there it was around $12 to get in for adults. It seemed like a lot of the exhibits were closed down. We heard gunshots while we were inside too. It's not in a very nice neighborhood.

We like the DC Zoo. They have done quite a bit of upgrading. It's free too! The expensive part is the parking! $20 per car. There are lots of animals. Follow the map closely so you don't miss anything. We especially like to see the orangatans when they are outside on their tower/ropelines. So cool.

Maybe someone else will have a little more info. on the Baltimore Zoo. Hope this has helped!

We were at the Baltimore Zoo over our Spring Break/Easter Break and had no issues other than the food vending machine area was packed due to people starving all at once. they really need to better address feeding the "humans" Anyway, I heard a news story about the DC zoo having a shooting and gang activity being the cause. Each one has it's negatives, and the Baltimore Zoo is NOT in a great neighborhood/area, so if you go there, don't require stopping for gas, etc. Getting in is easy but getting out in the gift shop, well pretty expensive! the kids enjoyed what they saw. Only two exhibits were "closed" We got great pics!

Dymphna

We were at the Baltimore Zoo over our Spring Break/Easter Break and had no issues other than the food vending machine area was packed due to people starving all at once. they really need to better address feeding the "humans" Anyway, I heard a news story about the DC zoo having a shooting and gang activity being the cause. Each one has it's negatives, and the Baltimore Zoo is NOT in a great neighborhood/area, so if you go there, don't require stopping for gas, etc. Getting in is easy but getting out in the gift shop, well pretty expensive! the kids enjoyed what they saw. Only two exhibits were "closed" We got great pics!
Wasn't a shooting, it was a stabbing. And I don't think gangs were ever mentioned but there was a special event, "African American Family Day".... I started a thread on it last week... http://forums.somd.com/news-current-events/226406-great-place-field-trip.html

4ps