merge lanes?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
This should be a poll!

You did not mention the ever-popular "come off the ramp and swoop in regardless of what other cars are doing or how much room is available".

kinda curious but how many of you run the lane the out or just merge before the lane ends.

If you mean do I stop if I haven't managed to merge before the magic line in the road forces me to either merge or stop, then the answer is no, as long as there is nothing blocking my way.

BernieP

Resident PIA
kinda curious but how many of you run the lane the out or just merge before the lane ends.

out of curiosity where do you find these "merge lanes" of which you speak?

FWIW, those lanes running along 235 are "Right Turn Lanes", not pull out and accelerate lanes because you can". They were added to allow cars to slow down to make right turns as opposed to slowing down in the travel lanes.

I believe that's why they have those big white right turn arrows on the asphalt and the signs that read RIGHT LANE MUST TURN RIGHT or RIGHT TURN ONLY.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"

FWIW, those lanes running along 235 are "Right Turn Lanes", not pull out and accelerate lanes because you can". They were added to allow cars to slow down to make right turns as opposed to slowing down in the travel lanes.

I believe that's why they have those big white right turn arrows on the asphalt and the signs that read RIGHT LANE MUST TURN RIGHT or RIGHT TURN ONLY.
Oh, the passing lanes! :yay:

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0

When Rt. 4 merges on to rt. 5.

No, there are some merge, like coming out of Wildwood unto 235, for instance. Also coming out of the transfer station onto Old St Andrews Church, but not from Old St Andrews Church to St Andrews Church/Rte4. Figure that one out! :lol:

HOW TO MERGE ONTO THE HIGHWAY WITHOUT CRASHING:

1) Make sure you are going at the same speed as the traffic into which you are merging as you reach the point where the ramp merges with the highway. This is very important so that those coming up behind you on the highway do not hit you from behind. This is very similar to safely changing lanes at highway speeds when it is done properly.

2) Maintain a safe distance from anyone in the ramp/merge lane in front of you; expect traffic to possibly slowdown or stop, causing you to have to do the same to avoid a rear-end or clip while merging.

Never assume others will use correct speed, maintain it or merge correctly.

3) Put your turn signal on so that the drivers on the highway notice that you are merging into their lane. Now carefully and quickly:
1. Look in your driver's side rearview mirror;
2. Glance to see that there is no car in your blind spot (close behind you in the lane that you are merging);
3. Quickly, see whether someone has slowed or stopped in the ramp/merge lane in front of you.

4) Determine if you have room to merge onto the highway, if you do not (a car is currently beside you) you will have to speed up or down just a little until you have ample space to merge into.

5) Gradually, never abruptly, merge into the lane, following the natural path of the merging ramp. Make sure to maintain your speed, which should be the same speed as the other cars in your lane on the highway.

How to Merge Onto the Highway Without Crashing - wikiHow

BernieP

Resident PIA
No, there are some merge, like coming out of Wildwood unto 235, for instance. Also coming out of the transfer station onto Old St Andrews Church, but not from Old St Andrews Church to St Andrews Church/Rte4. Figure that one out! :lol:

They are so short I ddin't even consider them a "merge" lane - no way could you accelerate in that short of a distance. :)

RT 4, turning north onto RT 5, that's a merge lane and most people just run it out - I guess because for the most part you aren't merging, you are either in front of the pack or behind it, not getting into it.

Actually the one coming out of Wildewood Blvd is interesting, it's short, what I find works best is to look right, to make sure some fool hasn't parked at the far end, then watch for a big enough break in the traffic and use the lane to accelerate to be able to merge in - the hint is to look right and check for the knuckle heads who "thought" they were going to merge and then stopped.

Floyd2004

-Void-
WW onto S235 is HORRIBLE for people rushing out and then just stopping at the end.
You find a gap and then accelerate to fill that gap. TADA simple. If my little 4 banger can speed up to 50mph by the end of the merge anyone can (minus a smart car maybe)

GopherM

Darwin was right
When Rt. 4 merges on to rt. 5.

That's the one around here that ticks me off the most. About half the time I get behind someone that comes to a complete stop immediately when they make the turn off Rt 5. The wait for an opening in the traffic when they have over a half mile of lane ahead of them.

M

makemepurr

The ones coming out of RUE PURCHASE (WAWA) onto 235 can be used as a merge (no "RIGHT TURN ARROWS" until you get down to McDonalds), coming out of Buck Hewitt onto 235S. I HATE it when people come to a DEAD STOP at those. There is NO reason to not use the lane to get up to speed to get into traffic.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
If my little 4 banger can speed up to 50mph by the end of the merge anyone can (minus a smart car maybe)

Exactly what I was going to say! People freak out with this merging deal. I pull off St. Andrew's onto S235 and get up to speed and in line well ahead of the turn before the WaWa's. No problems.

afjess1989

Amount of F##Ks given, 0
Exactly what I was going to say! People freak out with this merging deal. I pull off St. Andrew's onto S235 and get up to speed and in line well ahead of the turn before the WaWa's. No problems.

What ticks me off is when its rush hour and you merge like your suppose to do and there is that one idiot that decides to just run the lane out,not use a blinker and then either blow the horn or flip you the bird because you didnt let his or he royal highness over .

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
What ticks me off is when its rush hour and you merge like your suppose to do and there is that one idiot that decides to just run the lane out,not use a blinker and then either blow the horn or flip you the bird because you didnt let his or he royal highness over .

Screw that, you better get in where you fit in. No free rides from the drivers around this place!