Beware of this "business man"

hyperangel11

Dear SOMD Readers,

I am writing in hopes that you do not get taken advantage of from a "business man" who is coming around from door to door claiming to have a tree and landscaping business.

My husband and I just got back Monday afternoon (April 25th) from visiting out-of-state family for the holiday. Almost immediately from unpacking our car an unshaved, long-haired man with a cut-off t-shirt pulls up to our house in Lexington Park and asks if we would like some stumps removed in our front yard. We tell him we just got back from being out of town and would like to sit down and think about his offer. He gives us his card and leaves by saying, "Well, give me a call either way. I could even come out Saturday morning and do the job. Remember, if you don't call me, I can't come."

The next morning he shows up at our door. "Hey, I have the equipment with me. Do you want me to go ahead and take care of the stumps?" My first thought is "What is this guy doing here? Neither my husband nor I called him." I tell him that we are still thinking about the offer and that my husband will call him later today. I confirmed the price with him again and ask about how long will it take. He said it would only take a few hours. After he left, I called my husband at work to see if he called this Ted guy without my knowledge. No, he didn't call either.

Later that night my husband and I discussed whether we should have him come and grind down our stumps. We decided to call him back and see when he would be available. Maybe he was laid off and could really use the money to feed his family. He did seem a little desperate when he came back to the house, uninvited. My husband and I are a young couple (in our 20s) and we are just starting out, trying to make ends meet ourselves; but, we wanted to help this guy and his family out by giving him some work . Besides, our front yard has eight stumps, and we thought that was a fair price to get rid of all of them.

When my husband called him that evening, It was decided that he could no longer come later this week, but he could come early Wednesday morning at 7 am. Again, we confirmed the price, because we had to go to the bank and take the money from our savings.

He shows up this morning (Wednesday), slightly late, and immediately begins working. After he finishes three stumps, he comes to the door. I ask him why he was stopped, because there are still five stumps left. "No," he said. "I said I would do just these three. This is hard work, and I am giving you a deal. Besides, I have to return the equipment in half-an-hour." (Which I find odd because at first he told us he could come Saturday.)

I reply, "But that wasn't our deal. You said you would do all of the stumps in the front yard. And besides, when I asked you yesterday how long it would take, you said a few hours. It's only been 40 minutes."

Whenever I pointed that out, he just stood there for a few seconds and then responded, "Well, I can do the others, but it will cost you more."

Now, let me tell you what is going through my mind. Here, at my front door, there is an unkept man who I am making slightly angry. I notice that my neighbors across the street are not home, and my husband is at work.

To make this long story short, he leaves with our money and does not finish the job. I call my husband to inform him of the poor business we just received, and he calls the guy back. The guy tells him the same thing he told me, and then hangs up on my husband. I tried calling the police to see what I could do, but the on-duty deputy said I would have to take this matter to small claims court. Then, I try calling this man back, which of course he doesn't answer the phone. I leave a message calmly saying how disappointed I am that he did not do the job he promised and that I hoped he would change his mind to finish the job.

This man's name is Ted and his business card reads "Ted's Trees/Landscaping, 1-240-434-5707, Planting, Pruning, Stump Grinding and Removal 22 years Experience: Fully Insured; P.O. Box 330, Solomons, MD 20688." In the upper left corner of his card, there is a man cutting a tree.

Even though we were taken advantage of, I just want to make sure no one else in Southern Maryland falls for this scheme.

Yes, now that I look back at the situation, there are things we should have done differently. For instance, we should have gotten the agreement in writing. I just cannot believe that this man felt perfectly okay taking advantage of two people young enough to be his children - not to mention his lack of integrity.

If you see this man named Ted, please do not give him your business.

LadyCoyote

Yikes, that really stinks. I hate to say it, but anyone could print a business card and it sounds like this person wasn't a true professional (for many reasons, obviously, but anyone who has been in biz for 22 years and still rents equipment?) RED flag.

No pun intended, but this tree guy sounds SHADY.
Thanks for the heads up....

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Do you have a phone?
Call 911 when there is an angry person on your front porch.
Did you write down the work to be accomplished and the price?
That's called a contract, always get one

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted

AeroTaken

This man's name is Ted and his business card reads "Ted's Trees/Landscaping, 1-240-434-5707, Planting, Pruning, Stump Grinding and Removal 22 years Experience: Fully Insured; P.O. Box 330, Solomons, MD 20688." In the upper left corner of his card, there is a man cutting a tree.

Thanks for posting this. Same guy stopped by my house in Solomons Friday evening. My son was out in the yard so I didn't actually talk to him. A friend of mine was also there and told me that he is a frequent "customer" at the courthouse in Calvert for many types of charges, mostly drug related (this friend is in a position to know all the frequent courthouse "customers")

FED_UP

From the way you described the situation from the beginning I would have not even considered some shady looking person trying to feed his family or not, and that was just an assumption on your part. The best thing to do today is look that persons name up on the court records or something. I hate cons and chase them away quickly.

latinamomma

Transam's wife
I am sorry to hear that you and your husband were taken by this man Ted. When dealing with ANY tree company, you should always make sure that they are licensed as well as insured. There are too many companys out there that aren't . It's guys like "Ted" that are hurting the REAL tree companies.

ChattyCat

ChattyCat
business man

Dear SOMD Readers,

I am writing in hopes that you do not get taken advantage of from a "business man" who is coming around from door to door claiming to have a tree and landscaping business.

My husband and I just got back Monday afternoon (April 25th) from visiting out-of-state family for the holiday. Almost immediately from unpacking our car an unshaved, long-haired man with a cut-off t-shirt pulls up to our house in Lexington Park and asks if we would like some stumps removed in our front yard. We tell him we just got back from being out of town and would like to sit down and think about his offer. He gives us his card and leaves by saying, "Well, give me a call either way. I could even come out Saturday morning and do the job. Remember, if you don't call me, I can't come."

The next morning he shows up at our door. "Hey, I have the equipment with me. Do you want me to go ahead and take care of the stumps?" My first thought is "What is this guy doing here? Neither my husband nor I called him." I tell him that we are still thinking about the offer and that my husband will call him later today. I confirmed the price with him again and ask about how long will it take. He said it would only take a few hours. After he left, I called my husband at work to see if he called this Ted guy without my knowledge. No, he didn't call either.

Later that night my husband and I discussed whether we should have him come and grind down our stumps. We decided to call him back and see when he would be available. Maybe he was laid off and could really use the money to feed his family. He did seem a little desperate when he came back to the house, uninvited. My husband and I are a young couple (in our 20s) and we are just starting out, trying to make ends meet ourselves; but, we wanted to help this guy and his family out by giving him some work . Besides, our front yard has eight stumps, and we thought that was a fair price to get rid of all of them.

When my husband called him that evening, It was decided that he could no longer come later this week, but he could come early Wednesday morning at 7 am. Again, we confirmed the price, because we had to go to the bank and take the money from our savings.

He shows up this morning (Wednesday), slightly late, and immediately begins working. After he finishes three stumps, he comes to the door. I ask him why he was stopped, because there are still five stumps left. "No," he said. "I said I would do just these three. This is hard work, and I am giving you a deal. Besides, I have to return the equipment in half-an-hour." (Which I find odd because at first he told us he could come Saturday.)

I reply, "But that wasn't our deal. You said you would do all of the stumps in the front yard. And besides, when I asked you yesterday how long it would take, you said a few hours. It's only been 40 minutes."

Whenever I pointed that out, he just stood there for a few seconds and then responded, "Well, I can do the others, but it will cost you more."

Now, let me tell you what is going through my mind. Here, at my front door, there is an unkept man who I am making slightly angry. I notice that my neighbors across the street are not home, and my husband is at work.

To make this long story short, he leaves with our money and does not finish the job. I call my husband to inform him of the poor business we just received, and he calls the guy back. The guy tells him the same thing he told me, and then hangs up on my husband. I tried calling the police to see what I could do, but the on-duty deputy said I would have to take this matter to small claims court. Then, I try calling this man back, which of course he doesn't answer the phone. I leave a message calmly saying how disappointed I am that he did not do the job he promised and that I hoped he would change his mind to finish the job.

Even though we were taken advantage of, I just want to make sure no one else in Southern Maryland falls for this scheme.

Yes, now that I look back at the situation, there are things we should have done differently. For instance, we should have gotten the agreement in writing. I just cannot believe that this man felt perfectly okay taking advantage of two people young enough to be his children - not to mention his lack of integrity.

he has a record several pages long. Please stay away from this man!

pelers

Sorry that you were taken advantage of while trying to help someone who seemed down on their luck.

Perhaps you could hang a little pepper spray keychain by the door to head off unpleasantness like that if it occurs again. I know I've certainly thought about it, we get some skeeeeery door-to-door people at times!

I also generally don't have service people come by when I'm going to be home alone. I either wait until hubby and I have a CWS Friday or if it's not possible I'll have planned in advance to have some neighbors come over.

ODAT

Ted the tree guy is very well known at the Ranch Club, guess he has moved on to Lexington Park. He is a pretty shady character, he dropped a tree on my roof/gutter, no insurance. Came by without notice to cut trees, scared my dog half to death with the saws and felling trees. Usually comes by when the men are not around. Came by one night trying to sell us a splitting mall. Came asking for money from my neighbor late at night when her husband wasn't home. Do yourself a favor, stay away from Ted the Tree Guy

DEEKAYPEE8569

THIS unscrupulous S.O.B. saw a young couple just starting out and thought you were "young and dumb;" an expression I picked up from a Florida friend.

I'm prob'ly talkin' outta my *** here; but from the beginning, both of you should have sat down with this guy and thoroughly discussed who he was, what he does, etc., etc.. Then, before anything was done, the B.B.B. or the Chamber of Commerce should have been contacted to verify who this guy was. "Well, we don't want to rush into anything." "Can we discuss it and get back to you?" If he says anything that sounds like "no", then he's a sheister. If it turned out that he was "legit", then he would have had NO problem putting everything in writing or waiting for the two of you to make a decision before availing yourselves of his "services."

toppick08

THIS unscrupulous S.O.B. saw a young couple just starting out and thought you were "young and dumb;" an expression I picked up from a Florida friend.

I'm prob'ly talkin' outta my *** here; but from the beginning, both of you should have sat down with this guy and thoroughly discussed who he was, what he does, etc., etc.. Then, before anything was done, the B.B.B. or the Chamber of Commerce should have been contacted to verify who this guy was. "Well, we don't want to rush into anything." "Can we discuss it and get back to you?" If he says anything that sounds like "no", then he's a sheister. If it turned out that he was "legit", then he would have had NO problem putting everything in writing or waiting for the two of you to make a decision before availing yourselves of his "services."

you forgot full of come.............dummy..:howdy:

AeroTaken

An obvious clue to NOT do business with him should have been that on his business card in the bottom left corner it says "Insurance ID#____________", (with the line blank), no license number, nothing but a cell phone number.

asaberan

Does this guy drive an older truck? I believe it may have been a red Ford, but I can't say for sure. If so, he came to my door about two or three weeks ago and actually pissed me off. Said he "cuts trees and is sure we are worried about that pine hanging over our house and that he could cut it for us." I said, umm, no thanks, not interested. "I'm sure you're worried about it, he said." I said yeah, if I want it down, I'll cut it myself. Then he gets obnoxious and rolls his eyes and chuckles and says, "yeah, okay, whatever". Had he not left at that point, I would've thrown him off of my property. Don't come to someone's house and insult them when you have absolutely no idea what they are capable of. Particularly when you aren't even wearing clean clothes or practice proper hygiene.

Came in and told the wife and she thought I was being ridiculous because he might just "need the work." Glad I handled it the way I did.

Restless

Sorry this happened!

Thanks for letting us know about this guy. I'm sorry it cost you some money, but lessons were learned. We've all had to learn them. You are not alone in that! I tend to be too trusting myself. Glad no one was hurt.