Check points

Homer

They are going to waist our tax dollars doing DWI check points tonight or Saturday what a waste our tax dollars!

royhobie

hobieflyer
They are going to waist our tax dollars doing DWI check points tonight or Saturday what a waste our tax dollars!

Sheriff's Office is going to have a public meeting at 6:00 PM, May 10th at Wildewood. Go there and tell the Sheriff himself what your concern is. If you do, I wouldn't drink any alcohol along the way. (Just a suggestion). I understand it will be held at the new school. Go early. It is expected to be crowded. You can call 475-4040 to confirm the location and time.

mdff21

Most of the DWI Sobriety Checkpoints are funded by Federal Grants. If you feel that this is a waste of your taxpayer money, sorry to hear that. I would rather see my tax money used locally, then, as you say a waste of money at a sobriety checkpoint in other states.

RPMDAD

Not saying it is good or bad, but the original concept of Sobriety Checkpoints has expanded immensely. Most of them now are set up with at least one cruiser set up with an LPR, so while they stop and slow everyone down all license plates are being scanned immediately for any sort of violation on the tags. Expired vehicle emmissions being one of the biggest hits, Insurance violations, stolen tags and vehicles reported as stolen.. If you notice they write a lot of non alcohol related tickets at these check points.
And in the sense of public safety i am more worried about intoxicated drivers over someone who has not paid the vehicle emission tax.Most officers i have talked too favor saturation patrols over checkpoints as far as catching dwi offenders. Again not saying they are bad just that they have expanded their fish net immensely. They have basically turned them in to get them for whatever you can.

pelers

Not saying it is good or bad, but the original concept of Sobriety Checkpoints has expanded immensely. Most of them now are set up with at least one cruiser set up with an LPR, so while they stop and slow everyone down all license plates are being scanned immediately for any sort of violation on the tags. Expired vehicle emmissions being one of the biggest hits, Insurance violations, stolen tags and vehicles reported as stolen.. If you notice they write a lot of non alcohol related tickets at these check points.
And in the sense of public safety i am more worried about intoxicated drivers over someone who has not paid the vehicle emission tax.Most officers i have talked too favor saturation patrols over checkpoints as far as catching dwi offenders. Again not saying they are bad just that they have expanded their fish net immensely. They have basically turned them in to get them for whatever you can.

Out of curiosity, are there statistics anywhere showing how useful (or not) the checkpoints are? They always struck me as being rather silly since they are announced so far in advance (the ones I have seen, at least) that anyone who had anything to be concerned about could easily turn off and go around them.

ylexot

Super Genius
Most of the DWI Sobriety Checkpoints are funded by Federal Grants. If you feel that this is a waste of your taxpayer money, sorry to hear that. I would rather see my tax money used locally, then, as you say a waste of money at a sobriety checkpoint in other states.

The feds shouldn't be funding them ANYWHERE. It is not their job.