Pool Help

Natron0915

Looking for information on opening a pool up after its been winterized and not covered very well since it was closed. New house has an above ground round, and its my first time...pool was used last year, so its only 6 months worth of nastiness that has to be cleaned out.

Do I completely drain, clean, and then fill?

Do I fill, clean, and then...

Gonna hire someone to do it this year, but I want to be able to handle it on my own in the future.

Any suggestions, references, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Also looking for suggestions on who to use for fill water.

TIA

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Looking for information on opening a pool up after its been winterized and not covered very well since it was closed. New house has an above ground round, and its my first time...pool was used last year, so its only 6 months worth of nastiness that has to be cleaned out.

Do I completely drain, clean, and then fill?

Do I fill, clean, and then...

Gonna hire someone to do it this year, but I want to be able to handle it on my own in the future.

Any suggestions, references, etc. are greatly appreciated.

Also looking for suggestions on who to use for fill water.

TIA

Don't drain it. SHOCK it. Put some shock in it and it should clear up with the right chemicals. I use my pool all year since I have solar heat but my neighbor has an above ground not heated, not screened and it was nasty. You should never have to drain a large pool.

Poolife Pool Opening

Last edited:

oldman

Lobster Land
Take a water sample to a pool store. They will test it and tell you what you need to do and sell you what you need. It's pretty easy actually.

Katt

Double shock it (for your pool size amount of shock), run your filter for 24 hours, then take a sample into a pool/chemical store for them to test it. IT's free and they will tell you what you need. Chlorine does a great job once you get the water balanced. I go to Countywide Pools in Mechanicsville and they are great. Don't fall for any pressure sales of expensive, chlorine free chemicals. Too pricey. Chlorine has done a wonderful job for me and our pool is crystal clear when I open it in the spring (but then again, it has a cover on it all winter)
BTW... don't bother with HTH or Pace chemicals. They are junk and have alot of innert ingredients that only make your water cloudy. Buy your shock at the pool store and all your other chemicals. Oh, there are certain orders of adding chemicals. if they don't, ask them to write down on your water sample report what to add to the pool, how to add it and in what order. You'll have a clean pool in a day or so. Promise. Good luck.

bcp

In My Opinion
start by getting all the leaves and sediment out.
Then, as everyone said, shock it, run the filters while doing this, make sure to manually brush behind steps to make sure you get the algea that is growning there. (remember, swimming in the pool actually helps keep it clean) after a heavy shocking, add a Flaccuant, to clump things together and make the big enough to get caught up in the filter. back wash the filter a couple times over the next few days to make sure it does not clog up.
then take your water in, by now it should be looking pretty clear, they will tell you how much stabilizer you need to add, and how much chlorine for the initial dose. listen to their advice because if they are good, they will also tell you the PH and what you need to get it right. Make sure you know the dimensions of the pool so they can determine gallons and treatment amounts.

takes about a week, but I can turn a swamp into a clear swimming pool.

I do have some old software here that lets you input the measurements and it will tell you exactly what to use and how much of it.

Natron0915

Thanks all for the info. Maybe I"ll give it a go and see what happens. If I still screw it up, I'll call in the pro's...any suggestions on fill water? What's a good price, etc...btw size is 24' x 48" and its about half full right now...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Thanks all for the info. Maybe I"ll give it a go and see what happens. If I still screw it up, I'll call in the pro's...any suggestions on fill water? What's a good price, etc...btw size is 24' x 48" and its about half full right now...

So you need about 6500 gallons to fill it up? If you're not on city water stick a hose in it

Bay_Kat

Tropical
So you need about 6500 gallons to fill it up? If you're not on city water stick a hose in it

When I had my pool refinished, of course they had to drain it. I'm on city water and no one here delivers water like they do up there. I used two garden hoses and it took 3 days to fill, but was only a $5 difference on my water bill. I was pleasantly surprised. I even called the water company to let them know what was going on so they'd know when they saw the spike in my water usage.

Natron0915

Yeah, was thinking along the same lines...my well should be able handle it, but I worry about burning the pump out...don't know if that is a possiblity or not.

Thanks!