Gas Tax Hike May Be Proposed In Special Session

chuckster

IMFUBARED
COLUMBIA, Md. (WJZ)—Pain at the pump. If you think gas prices are high now, there is a plan that could push them even higher.

Gas Tax Hike May Be Proposed In Special Session « CBS Baltimore

“There is one tax that the business community universally supports and that doesn’t matter what slice of it where you are and that is the gas tax. And there is one tax that the general public universally and unanimously opposes regardless of black neighborhood, white neighborhood, north, south, east and west and that is the gas tax,” O’Malley said.

glhs837

Power with Control
Covered this in my less accurately, but more emotively titled "MARTIN!!! KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF MY PANTS!!!!!:buddies:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
The one wrong word in your title is may. It's a done deal already, the only thing to be worked out is how much. Many Montgomery County legislators are pushing $0.75/gallon as a minimum increase. Most of the rest of the Legislature is willing to settle for something between $0.10 and $0.25 with the majority somewhere in the middle of that. Also expect the sales tax to increase for some items and for it to cover more things. All fees will be increased, the few that were in the just ended session are just the beginning.

Taeobi

The one wrong word in your title is may. It's a done deal already, the only thing to be worked out is how much. Many Montgomery County legislators are pushing $0.75/gallon as a minimum increase. Most of the rest of the Legislature is willing to settle for something between $0.10 and $0.25 with the majority somewhere in the middle of that. Also expect the sales tax to increase for some items and for it to cover more things. All fees will be increased, the few that were in the just ended session are just the beginning.

This is why we should all just go back to horses!!

toppick08

:yay:

E

EmptyTimCup

Yes, but at least we can get the oats and hay locally. That would have to somewhat help our economy.

nope ....... you will probably be restricted from growing the locally et;al Slaughterhouse ... and most likely will hive to buy them from gobberment protected entity in the Midwest

:whistle:

COLUMBIA, Md. (WJZ)—Pain at the pump. If you think gas prices are high now, there is a plan that could push them even higher.

Gas Tax Hike May Be Proposed In Special Session « CBS Baltimore

“There is one tax that the business community universally supports and that doesn’t matter what slice of it where you are and that is the gas tax. And there is one tax that the general public universally and unanimously opposes regardless of black neighborhood, white neighborhood, north, south, east and west and that is the gas tax,” O’Malley said.

Huh? Why would they support a tax that increase the cost of their doing business. Assuming it involves any travel, shipping, buying products that have been transported or grown and any number of other costs. This has a huge trickle down effect on all of Md. business. Double that for gas users.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Huh? Why would they support a tax that increase the cost of their doing business. Assuming it involves any travel, shipping, buying products that have been transported or grown and any number of other costs. This has a huge trickle down effect on all of Md. business. Double that for gas users.

Because it IS Maryland...'The Free State'.....

I had people in stitches when I was Tampa and explained this state's aversion to anything but taxes, regulation and Democrats. They damned near choked when I explained how we are taxed everywhere; from what we put in our mouths to the "Flush Tax"...
:killingme

Taeobi

nope ....... you will probably be restricted from growing the locally et;al Slaughterhouse ... and most likely will hive to buy them from gobberment protected entity in the Midwest

:whistle:

When I said locally I meant domestically. At least it will be in the U.S. Rather than over seas... But, I'm sure the government would find some way to outsource that.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Back in play will be the "bag tax" modeled after DC's as well as a proposal to increase the sales tax on cars and the imposition of a "fat tax" on certain foods. Again, these are being floated by members of the MoCo delegation. There was early talk of a tax on firearms ammunition ($0.50/round) but that sort of went away, except for Brian Frosh (D-Montgomery).

woogie

All part of that Democratic Party agenda of
"redistribution of the wealth". Annapolis LOVES
this! The "entitlement folks" LOVE this! The
local (county/city) governments LOVE this!
The illegals LOVE this! The "community organizers"
LOVE this!

WHY don't YOU (the taxpayer/victim) LOVE this?
It's YOUR government!

Maryland has been a one party state for almost
60 years! (Yeah, I know, the Democrats 'let" Ehrlich
be a Repub governor, but the Democrats still controlled
the rest of the government.)

YOU should be out there VOTING AGAINST these
politicians! YOU should be voting these issues down!
YOU should be the "community organizers"!

smilin

BOXER NATION
LOVE this!

It's YOUR government!

Ever feel like you are preaching to the choir?
I, for one, do not plan on being the last one out to turn the light off...:howdy:

Vince

LOVE this!

It's YOUR government!

Most don't and then complain when they're taxed by the O'Malley's, etc. and then vote the same idiots back into office. Wait until the next elections. They will vote MOM right back into office thinking he will change things. Yeah, he'll change things alright. He'll keep taxing and spending, and will never get this state back on it's feet.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Most don't and then complain when they're taxed by the O'Malley's, etc. and then vote the same idiots back into office. Wait until the next elections. They will vote MOM right back into office thinking he will change things. Yeah, he'll change things alright. He'll keep taxing and spending, and will never get this state back on it's feet.

O'Malley's term limited as Governor, so he'll be done in 2014.
Bets are for current State Attorney General Doug Gansler to be the Democrat's nominee for Governor then (if so, make sure any guns you may have will have been lost in a tragic boat capsizing prior to his being sworn in as Governor).

O'Malley has been touted as an early favorite for President in 2016.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
ha thats the funiest thing I have herd all day. bwaaa ha ha

My thought, too, but it was mentioned in a serious way, on and in national programs and newspapers, right after the election in November. In a Republican year he won by a larger margin than his first election. MD's Congressional representation didn't change and the Legislature stayed firmly "D".

Makes him attractive.

And stranger things have happened.

RPMDAD

@ Woogie, you answered your own question, the entitlement folks get to vote, and they are the ones who know what side of their free bread the butter is on. If you win MoCo, Balt. Co and PG co you have won you dont need or need to care about the rest of the state of Md. to be elected.