Auto Insurance

keepsmiling

My friend just told me she was being dropped by State Farm because she has a licensed 19 year old living in her home but not insured. Her daughter doesn't drive because she's been unemployed and they won't let her drive their vehicles. She's been saving for her own car. Daughter has had no accidents or tickets so this makes no sense, she doesn't drive.

I also have state farm and she needs to know who to switch to after 25 years?

Who do you have and how do you rate them? She can't go to USAA, not in the military.

Thanks everyone!!!

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I got a flyer from Liberty Mutual through BJ's.
Checked it out, canceled my State Farm and saved about $500 a year

BernieP

Resident PIA
My friend just told me she was being dropped by State Farm because she has a licensed 19 year old living in her home but not insured. Her daughter doesn't drive because she's been unemployed and they won't let her drive their vehicles. She's been saving for her own car. Daughter has had no accidents or tickets so this makes no sense, she doesn't drive.

I also have state farm and she needs to know who to switch to after 25 years?

Who do you have and how do you rate them? She can't go to USAA, not in the military.

Thanks everyone!!!
a licensed driver who doesn't drive, I smell something

She has three options (check with agent firtst);
1. sign a letter with State Farm stating her daughter will not be permitted to drive the insured vehicles.
2. add the daughter to the policy and let her be rated as a part time driver.
3. find another agent / company

But somehow I don't think her problem will disappear with option 3, I think as soon as the new company finds out she has a daughter, who is living with her and has a license, they aren't going to be real happy. Whether friend wants to, she is probably going to have to list the daiughter as a driver, even if part time.

lovinmaryland

1. sign a letter with State Farm stating her daughter will not be permitted to drive the insured vehicles.

But somehow I don't think her problem will disappear with option 3, I think as soon as the new company finds out she has a daughter, who is living with her and has a license, they aren't going to be real happy. Whether friend wants to, she is probably going to have to list the daiughter as a driver, even if part time.

:yeahthat:

They dont just drop you because you have an underage driver in the household. So something is missing.

If the daughter is living in her house regardless of whether or not she drives she needs to be rated. Unless they sign a driver exclusion form saying that the daughter will never drive the vehs and if by some off chance she does there will absolutely be no coverage what so ever. That will be required by all companies not just State Farm.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Not sure which insurance my mom and her ex had, but one year he bought her a brand new cadillac. Apparently, he was allowed to sign something that said he would never drive the car and if he did, and there was an accident, there was no coverage. I guess he wasn't such a good driver and this kept their insurance from being sky high.

CrazyAchmed

I was told that if you had a liscense you had to have insurance. I'm rather young though, so I don't know.

On the flip side, my mother had a Porsche and did have to sign a statement saying I was not permitted to drive the car at all. Ever. 10 years later, still haven't driven it either.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
My twenty yr old had a minor fender bender in my BF's car on my 40th birthday last year. He was given two choices. A. To add her to his policy or B. Exclude her from the policy.

She had only had her license for few months. She was not even ticketed due to weather conditions but she was at fault. He bought her a car a few weeks later and she has he own insurance through Geico now and it is her bill to pay.

Definately see if your friends can sign a waiver to exclude her from their policy.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I have all my insurance through Bahr Insurance (Erie) very reasonable and Matt seems very personable. 301-737-3038.

Katt

You have to add her to your policy. Part time driver, student with good grades, etc. and it shouldn't be too bad. How is she ever to get any driving experience if she's not allowed to drive? Insurance agents know this. No one will insure you with an uninsured driver in the house. Kids tend to drive at some time or another, even w/out permission, or out of necessity.

keepsmiling

I really appreciate everyones help!! State Farm does not have a policy where she can sign an exclusion. She wants to sign an exclusion.

keepsmiling

Please don't take this wrong, her daughter has a mind of her own. She has moved out 3 times in the past 2 years with the "love of her life". Yea that worked out really well and came home to her mom every time something went wrong.

Her mom is the type, you wanna drive, you buy your own car and get a job!! The daughter got her license when she was 18 with the help of her boyfriend. She did not get her license when she was 16 because she didn't work like her older brother did and bought his own car and insurance which she needed to do also. Her parents are the type that don't just hand them anything they want. So now she's back home and State Farm is like she has to be insured. My friend told her daughter tonight you have to pay $120.00 for insurance every 6 months on your brother's old truck her response she wasn't paying for something she can't drive. So the parents are in a tuff situation. Trying to help their daughter but then teach her responsibility. She has a job now. She's saving for her car.

keepsmiling

Insurance is on the car, not the driver. If you loan me your car and I have an accident your insurance covers it.

Not true they have to have insurance usually for 25 years old and above. She told State Farm she was driving boyfriend's car and they told her he can get into trouble if she has an accident.

lovinmaryland

I really appreciate everyones help!! State Farm does not have a policy where she can sign an exclusion. She wants to sign an exclusion.

I work as an agent for State Farm and they do have driver exclusions. So again your friend is leaving something out or something missing.

keepsmiling

I work as an agent for State Farm and they do have driver exclusions. So again your friend is leaving something out or something missing.

lovingmaryland - she was told yesterday when she paid her bill she would be drop by August, (that's when her next bill is due) because she has a licenced uninsured driver, her daughter living in her home. She has everything with State Farm, home, car and her son has his policy there too. Her 22 year old son NO TICKETS NO ACCIDENTS, that's superb in my book. Her husband wants to stay with State Farm and will probably pay the 120.00 just to not deal with this. Out of 25 years 1 claim for the house and that was the ice storm and 1 car accident.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Maybe your friend should call State Farm directly and get some info instead of their agent. If an agent on here is saying they do have exclusion policies but her agent is saying different I would think the agent just wants the money.

awpitt

Main Streeter
:yeahthat:

They dont just drop you because you have an underage driver in the household. So something is missing.

If the daughter is living in her house regardless of whether or not she drives she needs to be rated. Unless they sign a driver exclusion form saying that the daughter will never drive the vehs and if by some off chance she does there will absolutely be no coverage what so ever. That will be required by all companies not just State Farm.
That's what I was thinking. I have State Farm and have never known them to just drop someone. There's more to it then what's been posted or State Farm just wants all licensed drivers to be accounted for.

LazySmurfette

I am with State Farm, I have an exclusion policy on two of my vehicles. My fiance got a DWI two years ago and my insurance was going to triple with him on it, so we both signed forms stating that IF he was to drive either of my cars and gets into an accident, I have no insurance. I said fine by me. He has driven my newer car a handful of times, and I am normally with him. I do trust him, it is everyone else on the road I don't. But his biggest tiff with SF was that they were raising my rates nearly triple, and he has Progressive and it only went up $15/month. But I love my agent and am going to have a hard time leaving them when I move in July...

I have heard good things about Erie though. But that they are quick to drop you if you file a claim. That is just word of mouth though.

I am with State Farm, I have an exclusion policy on two of my vehicles. My fiance got a DWI two years ago and my insurance was going to triple with him on it, so we both signed forms stating that IF he was to drive either of my cars and gets into an accident, I have no insurance. I said fine by me. He has driven my newer car a handful of times, and I am normally with him. I do trust him, it is everyone else on the road I don't. But his biggest tiff with SF was that they were raising my rates nearly triple, and he has Progressive and it only went up $15/month. But I love my agent and am going to have a hard time leaving them when I move in July...

I have heard good things about Erie though. But that they are quick to drop you if you file a claim. That is just word of mouth though.
You do realize you are breaking the law when you let him drive your vehicle, right? And you realize you will be responsible out of your personal income to cover anything and everything should he be at the wheel and an accident occurs, right?