Where to live in St Mary's County

urrica

Hi,
I'm going to be moving to St. Mary's in June for a new job. I've already looked at the Apartments at Wildewood and Abberly Crest. I really like Wildewood but they have a waiting list. I heard to stay away from Lexington Park and Great Mills. What are some other good places to rent? Is Spyglass an ok location? I really don't want something too far out of the way but I really would like a nice, quiet, safe location. I'd appreciate any help.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Abberley is very nice, and so is Wildewood. Several others used to be very safe with excellent amenities, but not sure what they are these days.

pelers

What sort of a place are you looking for? Apartment, townhouse, house? How many bedrooms? Yard? Pet friendly? Some details as to what exactly you're looking for will probably yield more useful information :) Where in the area are you working, and what are your commuting limits?

Abberly and Wildewood are both very nice communities.

urrica

What sort of a place are you looking for? Apartment, townhouse, house? How many bedrooms? Yard? Pet friendly? Some details as to what exactly you're looking for will probably yield more useful information :) Where in the area are you working, and what are your commuting limits?

Apartment or townhouse. I would rather have a 2 bedroom or a large 1 bedroom. A yard doesn't matter. and right now pet friendly doesn't matter. I'm going to be working for St Mary's Hospital and I really wanted something close. No more than 30 minutes tops.

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?

I agree, it's hard to help if we don't know what type of place you're lookin for.

If you are single and don't need a lot of space, you might find a room to rent in a house with other people.
You could also try looking at the classifieds section here on somd.com

Will you be just showing up here for the first time in June or will you be able to visit before then? You could try to contact a real estate agent - some specialize in rentals.

~

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
do you know anything about spyglass or hickory hills?

No idea about Spyglass anymore, but it used to be a great place to live. Hickory Hills gets a bad rap for some reason, but it's actually pretty nice, and they have a ton of different apartment/condo options.

sockgirl77

No idea about Spyglass anymore, but it used to be a great place to live. Hickory Hills gets a bad rap for some reason, but it's actually pretty nice, and they have a ton of different apartment/condo options.

Spyglass is okay but the surrounding neighborhood is slowly going downhill. Hickory Hills are nice. I have a few friends that live there. They've had no issues. I am not sure why they get a bad rap either.

Apartment or townhouse. I would rather have a 2 bedroom or a large 1 bedroom. A yard doesn't matter. and right now pet friendly doesn't matter. I'm going to be working for St Mary's Hospital and I really wanted something close. No more than 30 minutes tops.

Leonardtown is great.. Have you looked into Foxwell Condominiums?

St. Mary's County Housing, Leonardtown Condominiums or Condos - Foxwell Condominiums

Their website says they have 10 units left. Haven't been in one personally, but have heard from multiple sources, that they are very nice..

Only about 5 minutes from the hospital..

Cute house for rent in Leonardtown, available on June 1... doesn't say what street it is on, though.. maybe on Lawrence Avenue, which would be getting you close to an elementary school.. not sure how you would feel about that. (As much as I love Leonardtown, I can't vouch for any apartments on Lawrence Avenue, though... haven't been in any of them for years..)

Advertisement - Real Estate Rentals in Southern Maryland

If you like the water there is a fully furnished waterfront home for rent on Waterside Drive .. about 10 -15 minutes from the hospital (south of Leonardtown) (Ad on SoMDonline)

There was an ad for a cottage on a farm on Belvidere Farm Road (10 -15 minutes south of Leonardtown also.

Also saw ads for an in-law apartment in Bushwood and a waterfront loft apartment in Avenue.. These would be about 20 minutes north of Leonardtown.

The last 4 would be quiet areas, but are also very rural areas. The are much more secluded areas than the apartments/townhouses in Wildewood. Shopping is not nearby any of these.. I would like these areas, but I did grow up in Bushwood, so I like rural..

Also forgot to mention that I saw a few townhouses at the Landing (Leonardtown Wharf) for rent also, but they are expensive for rentals (over $2,000).. That would be a safe area also. There is a waterside park right there, I am not sure if you would consider that a plus or not. The townhouses are newer (2005 or so). Pictures look nice...but when you drive back there, you feel like you are in a tunnel...

urrica

Spyglass is okay but the surrounding neighborhood is slowly going downhill. Hickory Hills are nice. I have a few friends that live there. They've had no issues. I am not sure why they get a bad rap either.

Spyglass might be too small for me and too far away.

urrica

Cute house for rent in Leonardtown, available on June 1... doesn't say what street it is on, though.. maybe on Lawrence Avenue, which would be getting you close to an elementary school.. not sure how you would feel about that. (As much as I love Leonardtown, I can't vouch for any apartments on Lawrence Avenue, though... haven't been in any of them for years..)

Advertisement - Real Estate Rentals in Southern Maryland

If you like the water there is a fully furnished waterfront home for rent on Waterside Drive .. about 10 -15 minutes from the hospital (south of Leonardtown) (Ad on SoMDonline)

There was an ad for a cottage on a farm on Belvidere Farm Road (10 -15 minutes south of Leonardtown also.

Also saw ads for an in-law apartment in Bushwood and a waterfront loft apartment in Avenue.. These would be about 20 minutes north of Leonardtown.

The last 4 would be quiet areas, but are also very rural areas. The are much more secluded areas than the apartments/townhouses in Wildewood. Shopping is not nearby any of these.. I would like these areas, but I did grow up in Bushwood, so I like rural..

They would be perfect if they weren't furnished

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I lived in hickory hills for a year..townhouse..two bedrooms two baths..around 1100-ish. I liked it there..I felt perfectly safe, the townhomes were spacious enough and it is close by to everything. They screwed me over in the move out..and I had to fight them over it.....but my actual time living there was quite nice.

They would be perfect if they weren't furnished

There are townhouses in Breton Bay (5 to 10 minutes from Leonardtown) on Breton View Drive. This would also be a quiet safe area.. These are privately owned, but several are rentals. There are also town houses & condos in the Wildewood area that are privately owned, but rented also. You may need a realtor to find out if any of these are available and what they are renting for.. For me personally, I would much rather be in the Leonardtown area than on Willows Road.. especially if I worked at the hospital..