Cole Brother's Circus - DO NOT ATTEND

aubriana

I have NEVER supported Circus's because of a strong belief that animals should not be carted around in 18 wheelers and forced to perform for our enjoyment... I found this letter on The Bay Net and wanted to share.

Dear Commissioner,
I am writing to inform you of the many US Dept. of Agriculture citations for animal abuse and neglect against the Cole Brothers Circus, which will be arriving at our beautiful St. Mary’s fairgrounds early next week. The list below includes citations dating back to 2004, including incidents in which members of the public were injured or killed. As of 2008, Cole Bros. Circus doesn’t even have its own USDA license, and must lease its animal acts from other circuses. Most recently, in February of this year, the owner of Cole Bros. Circus pled guilty to violating the Endangered Species Act.
I am a science teacher at Leonardtown High School, and also the SMECO Science Teacher of the Year of 2008. As a science teacher, I feel that it is my responsibility to educate my students to respect and care for all living things. I am saddened each spring by the arrival of the Cole Bros. Circus in Leonardtown, and the sight of the elephants walking in circles as I leave LHS each afternoon.
Many cities and large corporations have stopped supporting circuses because of these abuses and the safety hazards to unsuspecting families that visit.
I urge you to be a voice for the animals of the circus, who cannot speak up for themselves. Please don’t support Cole Brothers Circus in St. Mary’s County.

Sincerely,
Emily Sunderland

The Baynet | Print Page | READER LETTER: Cole Bros Circus Boycott

bcp

In My Opinion
I have NEVER supported Circus's because of a strong belief that animals should not be carted around in 18 wheelers and forced to perform for our enjoyment... I found this letter on The Bay Net and wanted to share.

Dear Commissioner,
I am writing to inform you of the many US Dept. of Agriculture citations for animal abuse and neglect against the Cole Brothers Circus, which will be arriving at our beautiful St. Mary’s fairgrounds early next week. The list below includes citations dating back to 2004, including incidents in which members of the public were injured or killed. As of 2008, Cole Bros. Circus doesn’t even have its own USDA license, and must lease its animal acts from other circuses. Most recently, in February of this year, the owner of Cole Bros. Circus pled guilty to violating the Endangered Species Act.
I am a science teacher at Leonardtown High School, and also the SMECO Science Teacher of the Year of 2008. As a science teacher, I feel that it is my responsibility to educate my students to respect and care for all living things. I am saddened each spring by the arrival of the Cole Bros. Circus in Leonardtown, and the sight of the elephants walking in circles as I leave LHS each afternoon.
Many cities and large corporations have stopped supporting circuses because of these abuses and the safety hazards to unsuspecting families that visit.
I urge you to be a voice for the animals of the circus, who cannot speak up for themselves. Please don’t support Cole Brothers Circus in St. Mary’s County.

Sincerely,
Emily Sunderland

Great letter, unfortunately, there are not enough vegetarians like her to actually put enough pressure on governments to change the way animals are treated.

Dear Commissioner,

Sincerely,
Emily Sunderland

I wonder if the Commissioners will even see this... :ohwell:

Toxick

Splat
I have NEVER supported Circus's because of a strong belief that animals should not be carted around in 18 wheelers and forced to perform for our enjoyment...

I beg to differ. Performing for our enjoyment is the only real purpose that animals have.

Well... that and food.

keekee

Great letter, unfortunately, there are not enough vegetarians like her to actually put enough pressure on governments to change the way animals are treated.

:confused: I am not a vegetarian... and I hate circuses. I went to one about 20 yrs ago and it was very disturbing. I actually can't believe that they haven't been banned completely.

bcp

In My Opinion
:confused: I am not a vegetarian... and I hate circuses. I went to one about 20 yrs ago and it was very disturbing. I actually can't believe that they haven't been banned completely.

Why do you hate them then?
Is it the clowns? do you hate clowns?

keekee

Why do you hate them then?
Is it the clowns? do you hate clowns?

It seems that the animals are in distress and not well-cared for, plus wild animals don't belong in little cages under any conditions. I'm not a tree-hugger or a peta member... it just doesn't seem right in my opinion, so I don't attend.

I don't much like clowns either. Grown men in wigs and lipstick are creepy. :biggrin:

herbivore2

I agree

Dear Commissioner,

Sincerely,
Emily Sunderland

I don't even know why circuses are allowed to operate at all. It has been known for years that they earn their money through cruelty to animals and disregard for the public.

whereibenow

Way to keep a brother down, I was going to make my debut riding the big white cat. :bawl:

BigTop.jpg

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It seems that the animals are in distress and not well-cared for, plus wild animals don't belong in little cages under any conditions. I'm not a tree-hugger or a peta member... it just doesn't seem right in my opinion, so I don't attend.

I don't much like clowns either. Grown men in wigs and lipstick are creepy. :biggrin:

Penn would disagree.

Toxick

Splat
They will if everyone who read this sends it to them.

bocc@stmarysmd.com

I have all summer to listen to how bored my kids are.

This circus provides a rare opportunity for us to do something different. Its not like theres anything else to do around this blighted wasteland, except for cow-tipping and smoking the pot. You take away the circus and these kids got NOTHING.

So when this county becomes overpopulated with inverted bovines, and refer-addicts, we're all blaming you.

bcp

In My Opinion
Should every company People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals complains about be shut down - or just this one?

I dont think PETA should be able to shut anything down.

You want to go to a circus, go,
You want to join PETA join
You want to throw a burger on my grill? throw it on.

just dont sit there crying about the treatment of animals while shoving a burger down your (no you specifically) hole.

Seems a bit odd to me.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I have all summer to listen to how bored my kids are.

This circus provides a rare opportunity for us to do something different. Its not like theres anything else to do around this blighted wasteland, except for cow-tipping and smoking the pot. You take away the circus and these kids got NOTHING.

So when this county becomes overpopulated with inverted bovines, and refer-addicts, we're all blaming you.

You got something against cow-tipping?

PrepH4U

just dont sit there crying about the treatment of animals while shoving a burger down your (no you specifically) hole.

Seems a bit odd to me.

So if our neighbors were abusing their dogs or cats we should just sit back and grill? :shrug:

keekee

Seems a bit odd to me.

I have shot, cooked, and eaten animals.
It's the natural order of things.
However... I would not torture an animal and would defend one if I saw it happening. I'm sorry but there is a difference.