The Unwisdom of Elites

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
LINK

"The past three years have been a disaster for most Western economies. The United States has mass long-term unemployment for the first time since the 1930s. Meanwhile, Europe’s single currency is coming apart at the seams. How did it all go so wrong?

Well, what I’ve been hearing with growing frequency from members of the policy elite — self-appointed wise men, officials, and pundits in good standing — is the claim that it’s mostly the public’s fault. The idea is that we got into this mess because voters wanted something for nothing, and weak-minded politicians catered to the electorate’s foolishness.

So this seems like a good time to point out that this blame-the-public view isn’t just self-serving, it’s dead wrong.

The fact is that what we’re experiencing right now is a top-down disaster. The policies that got us into this mess weren’t responses to public demand. They were, with few exceptions, policies championed by small groups of influential people — in many cases, the same people now lecturing the rest of us on the need to get serious. And by trying to shift the blame to the general populace, elites are ducking some much-needed reflection on their own catastrophic mistakes. "

SamSpade

My mistake. Krugman. Can the guy be more hypocritical? Who's the most smug elitist you know?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
[ Meanwhile, Europe’s single currency is coming apart at the seams. How did it all go so wrong?

. "

You will thoroughly impress me if you can cogently explain why that is so. Why Germany, for example, with her conservative and restrained fiscal policies, is being expected to bail out countries like Greece, countries with huge unfunded entitlement obligations that they can never possibly meet. Countries that must either withdraw from the EU and EU fiscal rules so that they can print their own money until its worthless...or else go through sovereign default.

Mongo53

:killingme:killingme:killingmeKrugman, now saying the perfectly logical reasons are NOT why there is a problem, the problem is all because of "let me guess" Republicans?:killingme

Krugman needs to go back to calling for the Death Panels, that only 6 months before was claiming any conservative speculating the Dems Healthcare Reform will result in DeathPanels, is a NutJob.

Its the equalivalent of nhboy, after calling everyone that questions Obama Birth Certificate, NUTJOBS, then comes out and claims Bobby Jindal is an anchor baby, for actually producing his birth certificate.:bigwhoop:

UNA

hmph! Maybe I'm NOT the only one who recognizes it's ALL their faults (R's AND D's)??? Hey...I can hope can't I?

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
:killingme:killingme:killingmeKrugman, now saying the perfectly logical reasons are NOT why there is a problem, the problem is all because of "let me guess" Republicans?:killingme

Krugman needs to go back to calling for the Death Panels, that only 6 months before was claiming any conservative speculating the Dems Healthcare Reform will result in DeathPanels, is a NutJob.

Its the equalivalent of nhboy, after calling everyone that questions Obama Birth Certificate, NUTJOBS, then comes out and claims Bobby Jindal is an anchor baby, for actually producing his birth certificate.:bigwhoop:

Jindal's parents were not citizens of the U.S. when he was born; ergo he was an anchor baby. :dye:

Mongo53

Jindal's parents were not citizens of the U.S. when he was born; ergo he was an anchor baby. :dye:
Have you deluded yourself with your sloganeering and demagoguery so bad you lack any sense of logic or reason??

Sneaking over the borders of a country, makes you an illegal alien, having a child while being illegally in a country, and trying to exploit its laws about citizenship to argue you should be allowed to stay in the country, that you really have no right to be allowed to stay in that country; is making your child an anchor baby.

That was NOT the case with Jindal's Parents was it? Of course that doesn't fit your agenda, so you'll just bend the facts a bit to fit what you want, won't you.:bigwhoop: