Trump collapses

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
LINK

"Donald Trump has had one of the quickest rises and falls in the history of Presidential politics. Last month we found him leading the Republican field with 26%. In the space of just four weeks he's dropped all the way down to 8%, putting him in a tie for fifth place with Ron Paul.

Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney are at the top of the GOP race with 19% and 18% respectively. Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin are further back at 13% and 12%, followed by Trump and Paul at 8%, Michele Bachmann at 7%, and Tim Pawlenty at 5%.

As Trump got more and more exposure over the last month Republicans didn't just decide they weren't interested in having him as their nominee- they also decided they flat don't like him. Only 34% of GOP voters now have a favorable opinion of Trump to 53% who view him in a negative light.

Trump really made hay out of the 'birther' issue and as the resonance of that has declined, so has his standing. In February we found that 51% of Republican primary voters thought Barack Obama was not born in the United States. Now with the release of his birth certificate only 34% of GOP partisans fall into that camp, and Trump's only in fifth place with that now smaller group of the electorate at 9%."

SamSpade

Which is why I don't place much faith in these guys with regards to their polling data - they are only NOW getting what every single conservative I know has always known. Trump will not be the nominee, nor will Palin. He got a bump almost entirely based on his celebrity and the fact that he was the only one making clear overtures to wanting to run.

It's easy to be first in a field of one.

Mongo53

And he is an outsider, something very appealing when there is a lot of disgust with Washington, and the only Republicans spoke about, other than Cain, are insiders.

But, like anyone would tell you, his initial enchantment would never take root, neither side would like this guy, he plays both sides of the fence and has lots of sleaziness in his past that would turn off a lot of Republican voters.

somdwatch

He's not a sleaze!

He's only gone bankrupt (at least) one time. Happens to everyone these days. :)
He's paid his taxes to the best of our knowledge. That's doing a lot better than some we have elected!
He's very successful as an irritant!
Course, I wouldn't have voted for him. Just cause he says he's running.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
nhboob said:
"Donald Trump has had one of the quickest rises and falls in the history of Presidential politics."
Don't listen to Sam. I'm sure Frump's fall is due to your relentless thread bashing, boob. :yay: