Cain's Wife

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
Who was Cain's (Son of Adam) wife? It would of had to been Adam and Eve's Daughter, Cain's sister, right? They only mention having Abel and Cain right off the back and then a few more kids later on down the road, but after Cain was already married.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
85 people have viewed this and no reply. SO I will take this as there is no answer. God decided to provide Moses with every generation from Adam to Noah to write down in Genesis, but thought best not to provide who Cain was married to after he left his home. Seems a bit off.

foodcritic

Who was Cain's (Son of Adam) wife? It would of had to been Adam and Eve's Daughter, Cain's sister, right? They only mention having Abel and Cain right off the back and then a few more kids later on down the road, but after Cain was already married.

Yes it would have been his sister.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
85 people have viewed this and no reply. SO I will take this as there is no answer.
Our literalist friends have likely been walking the streets passing out Bibles or something, but rest assured they will come along soon enough to inform you that whatever you think, it's wrong. :yay:

foodcritic

Our literalist friends have likely been walking the streets passing out Bibles or something, but rest assured they will come along soon enough to inform you that whatever you think, it's wrong. :yay:

Right and obviously your opinion is the right and true one :killingme

Law of non-contradiction!

Zguy28

Genesis 1:27-28

27So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

28And God blessed them. And God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

Could God have created more than just Adam and Eve? Or others outside the garden of Eden, perhaps in the land of Nod where Cain found his wife?

All very good questions.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
85 people have viewed this and no reply. SO I will take this as there is no answer. God decided to provide Moses with every generation from Adam to Noah to write down in Genesis, but thought best not to provide who Cain was married to after he left his home. Seems a bit off.
I read it last night, late, and didn't feel like replying right then. It had to be a sister or a neice. It couldn't have been a cousin because Adam & Eve had no brothers or sisters. Incest wasn't a sin at that time so it was ok and often normal.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
I read it last night, late, and didn't feel like replying right then. It had to be a sister or a neice. It couldn't have been a cousin because Adam & Eve had no brothers or sisters. Incest wasn't a sin at that time so it was ok and often normal.

Since the Bible is where we retrive our Proof of God from, could you please provide the scripture that list His intervention in Cain finding his wife please. Thank you in advance.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Since the Bible is where we retrive our Proof of God from, could you please provide the scripture that list His intervention in Cain finding his wife please. Thank you in advance.
The Bible says that Eve is the mother of ALL living and from Adam came all the nations. There was no one else, outside of Adam & Eve, created for Cain to get his wife from, so one can safely say it was a sister or niece.

20 Adam named his wife Eve, because she would become the mother of all the living. (Genesis 3)

45 “The first man Adam became a living being....The first man was of the dust of the earth..." (1 Corinthians 15)

26 "From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth, and he determined the set times for them and the exact places where they should live." (Acts 17)

Radiant1

Soul Probe
2lazy2P:

I suspect nobody jumped on this because we've been over it before, and as usual it turned into a long quagmire. It gets kind of old re-hashing and re-throwing crap at each other ya know. :lol:

Biblical literalists will tell you incest. Biblical non-literalists who give evolution some modicum of respect will tell you what amounts to bestiality (some sort of cave-man-like-but-not-quite-yet-human). Incest or bestiality, take your pick; neither are very palatable. The fact is, the bible doesn't specify, which leaves us (and you) to ponder and ask this very question. :lol:

foodcritic

Thanks Radiant. Wonder what else God decided to 'leave out' of the Bible? :coffee:

What did he leave out? In this instance it seems clear. It was his sister/niece. Radiant tired to simplify it in a confusing manner. The law had not been given yet. So the the practice of marrying a sister must have been allowed for a brief period of time until there was enough cousins etc to move on to distant relations. Also sin, and it's multiplying affects on teh human condition had been short lived. In other words the fall had left perfect people now sinful. Kind of like a slow dilution of pure water. I little mud here and there and over time the clear glass is now completely dirty. This lasted for a time when ultimately the practice was ended by the law.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
What did he leave out? In this instance it seems clear. It was his sister/niece. Radiant tired to simplify it in a confusing manner. The law had not been given yet. So the the practice of marrying a sister must have been allowed for a brief period of time until there was enough cousins etc to move on to distant relations. Also sin, and it's multiplying affects on teh human condition had been short lived. In other words the fall had left perfect people now sinful. Kind of like a slow dilution of pure water. I little mud here and there and over time the clear glass is now completely dirty. This lasted for a time when ultimately the practice was ended by the law.

I gave him the opposing viewpoint, and I don't think he was confused.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria

This would include the possibility of sinless relations between mother & son.

Starman3000m

This would include the possibility of sinless relations between mother & son.

Confirming the possibilities as mentioned by foodcritic and ItalianScallion:

article excerpt regarding Cain's wife:
...The only possible answer is that Cain's wife was his sister or niece or great-niece, etc. The Bible does not say how old Cain was when he killed Abel (Genesis 4:8). Since they were both farmers, they were likely both full-grown adults, possibly with families of their own. Adam and Eve surely had given birth to more children than just Cain and Abel at the time Abel was killed. They definitely had many more children later (Genesis 5:4). The fact that Cain was scared for his own life after he killed Abel (Genesis 4:14) indicates that there were likely many other children and perhaps even grandchildren of Adam and Eve already living at that time. Cain's wife (Genesis 4:17) was a daughter or granddaughter of Adam and Eve.

Since Adam and Eve were the first (and only) human beings, their children would have no other choice than to intermarry. God did not forbid inter-family marriage until much later when there were enough people to make intermarriage unnecessary (Leviticus 18:6-18). The reason that incest today often results in genetic abnormalities is that when two people of similar genetics (i.e., a brother and sister) have children together, there is a high risk of their recessive characteristics becoming dominant. When people from different families have children, it is highly unlikely that both parents will carry the same recessive traits. The human genetic code has become increasingly “polluted” over the centuries as genetic defects are multiplied, amplified, and passed down from generation to generation. Adam and Eve did not have any genetic defects, and that enabled them and the first few generations of their descendants to have a far greater quality of health than we do now. Adam and Eve’s children had few, if any, genetic defects. As a result, it was safe for them to intermarry.

Who was Cain's wife? Was Cain's wife his sister?