Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: !!!!!! DirecTV !!!!!!

Thats how them b*tch's R getbent's Avatar
    We just upgraded to the HD dish. We constantly get the searching for service signal 1 or 2. They've been out twice to fix it and now I'm going to call them for the third time. We upgraded apprx a month ago. We've had Dtv since they first came out. I wouldn't switch to anyone else though. Comparing the problems we've had with how long they've been around it's not enough for me to switch.

Rudyard Kipling: Four things greater than all others women and horses and (Kipling can't add)

Direct Tv

Quote Originally Posted by BZHorseMomE View Post
    !!!!!!! Getting so tired of DirecTV !!!!!!!! Everytime the electric goes out the SWM box keeps getting fried and then it takes them 4 or more days to get out to replace it. Starting to think DirecTV should just leave us a back up so we can replace it ourselves. Then call them to replace the back up when we use it. We've even hooked the SWM box into a surge protector & sometimes it saves the SWM box, but most of the time not. So tired of seeing error code 771A!!!! At least with Comcast they would be out the next day if not that not fixing the problem if it was an area wide outage.

Anyone have this problem with DISH Network?
    Had them for a couple of years now, and no problems so far! When we did have a problem with the signal they were right on it and took care of it.

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-) BZHorseMomE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TWL View Post
    Are you sure it's being fried? Does the green light come on on the power inserter?
    SWM is normally very good tech but if the receiver/DVR is booted without seeing a SWM signal, it defaults to the legacy setting causing the problem you describe.
    It's possible that your receivers/DVR are coming back online before the SWM is ready. To make sure, first remove power(pull the power plug) from all your DirevTV equipment. Power on the SWM. Then power on the receivers/DVRs--one at a time.
    If it is fried, it's more likely the wrong power inserter is being used or you have bad electrical wiring in your residence.
    We've had the SWM replaced many times and have tried to power everything back up the way you explained. Just unplugged all the boxes, then the SWM for 10 min, then plugged SWM back in until the green light came back on, then plugged the main HD/DVR box back in. Getting the message "Problem communication with dish. Press SELECT on More Info. (771A).

Our home is only a few years old so I'm hoping it isn't bad electrical wiring, but for some reason when we first had DirecTV installed they put the SWM up in the attic instead of downstairs with the main HD/DVR box. I'm wondering if our original installation was just bad?? Maybe have DirecTV rerun the cable all over the house again?
    Catch A Dream Equestrian Program w/Marcia Kane

Beginner thru Advance Hunter/Jumper/Equitation riding lessons.
    For more information check out CATCH A DREAM Equestrian Program on facebook and LIKE US or E-Mail marciakane@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by hvp05 View Post
    I had them for several years and never saw that.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by ChattyCat View Post
    Had them for a couple of years now, and no problems so far! When we did have a problem with the signal they were right on it and took care of it.
    Well going out on Sunday and they can't come out till Wednesday seems like a long time to wait. Comcast never took that long.

For more information check out CATCH A DREAM Equestrian Program on facebook and LIKE US or E-Mail marciakane@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
    Ditto.
    Well now I'm starting to think it is the way the cable was orginally installed. It might be a very long service call when they do come out on Wednesday. Just like doing a new installation all over again.

Do yourself a favor and get an UPS (uninterpretable power supply) and plug your sat receiver into it. 300-500VA should be fine. It will prevent power surges and transient voltage spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by BZHorseMomE View Post
    !!!!!!! Getting so tired of DirecTV !!!!!!!! Everytime the electric goes out the SWM box keeps getting fried and then it takes them 4 or more days to get out to replace it. Starting to think DirecTV should just leave us a back up so we can replace it ourselves. Then call them to replace the back up when we use it. We've even hooked the SWM box into a surge protector & sometimes it saves the SWM box, but most of the time not. So tired of seeing error code 771A!!!! At least with Comcast they would be out the next day if not that not fixing the problem if it was an area wide outage.

Anyone have this problem with DISH Network?
    Had direct TV long time, minor issues rare when the weather is bad.

Just noticed the 771A. The first time i read it i just read 771.

There is a slight difference between the two. In addition to no signal, it also means no power or insufficient power (too much or too little) to the SWM.

What I posted above is still relevant with the addition that there may very well be a bad connection somewhere between the power inserter and the SWM and/or one or more of the components between are not grounded or not grounded properly. Somewhere along the line, electricity is being drawn or introduced by a improper ground.

Keeping the power inserter in the attic should not be a problem other than easy access. I'd insist the tech replace the COAX between the SWM and power inserter and make sure everything is grounded to standard.
    Anyone who tells you that the negative is not just as important as the positive has obviously never jump-started their car.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.