Once again the Deputies are not rewarded

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
When you have a limited amount of tax revenue coming in because a large percentage of people in the county don't have a tax bill, then monies are short and services, including school & police needs, have to get cut.
Taxpayers (REAL taxpayers - people who don't get any or little back on their returns and property owners) foot the bill for low/no income citizens and the illegals, all (who btw) account for most of the crime in the county.

As a taxpayer I see them as a burden until they pay into the system that provides the services they use. And don't say 'They pay sales tax'. That money goes to Annapolis 1st before it get's back to us. I don't know the figure but I can almost garantee we don't get back 1/10th of what St Mary's businesses collect for the state.

Mr.Steed

When you have a limited amount of tax revenue coming in because a large percentage of people in the county don't have a tax bill, then monies are short and services, including school & police needs, have to get cut.
Taxpayers (REAL taxpayers - people who don't get any or little back on their returns and property owners) foot the bill for low/no income citizens and the illegals, all (who btw) account for most of the crime in the county.

As a taxpayer I see them as a burden until they pay into the system that provides the services they use. And don't say 'They pay sales tax'. That money goes to Annapolis 1st before it get's back to us. I don't know the figure but I can almost garantee we don't get back 1/10th of what St Mary's businesses collect for the state.

The influence of FOX News and the now limping Tea Party once again rears its ugly head. Instead of putting out exaggerated data, why don't you do real investigative work and post the real data regarding who pays what in St. Mary's County. I would like to read the stats for the "large percentage" of people who don't pay taxes in St. Mary's. You may want to look back over the decade or so and ponder all of the sweetheart deals given to developers.

BTW, I would certainly not be opposed to paying a little more if it would help retain teachers and supply law enforcement with more officers.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
The influence of FOX News and the now limping Tea Party once again rears its ugly head. Instead of putting out exaggerated data, why don't you do real investigative work and post the real data regarding who pays what in St. Mary's County. I would like to read the stats for the "large percentage" of people who don't pay taxes in St. Mary's. You may want to look back over the decade or so and ponder all of the sweetheart deals given to developers.

BTW, I would certainly not be opposed to paying a little more if it would help retain teachers and supply law enforcement with more officers.

Ponderous man, Ponderous.:crazy:

awpitt

Main Streeter

Getting a refund or having to pay is not an indication of one's tax payer status. It's just an indication of if that person withheld enough during the year or not. Also, renters pay proprty taxes as well. Those costs are passed to them by their landlords.

Stats? Link?

CrashTest

1 - $1.3M is equal to 18 first and second year teachers? That's $72K per teacher. What's up with that?

2 - Why can't you do what private business would do. Keep the lower salaried teachers and layoff the higher salaried teachers and in doing so, lay off fewer. Wouldn't that be better for the students? It's all about the students right?

awpitt

Main Streeter

Can't say that I'd be willing to pay more when there are areas (FDR) where they could shift money from in order to retain teachers and hire the additional officers.

They developers should pay for FDR as they're the ones who will benefit and profit from its construction. Right now, FDR is a "want". Teachers and police are needs. The money needs to be shifted from the wants to the needs.

glhs837

Power with Control
Steed, I wouldnt mind paying more myself, if I had any real assurance it wouldn't get blown like a kid in a candy store. I do love how you speak of sweetheart land deals and lack of funding in the same sentence. How much was given in that sweetheart deal to buy the farm? More than enough to fund the shortfalls in both BOE and Sheriffs requests, I think. I dont mind giving the businees owners that create jobs a break, I do mind the govt showering favored citizens with my money for a thing worth far less than what we paid. Not just that land deal, but the lot lease of Bells old lot too.

Unless they stop spending it unwisely, I dont want to give them more.

dontknowwhy

Are you serious?? Just drive around the damn County & theres your stats...and developers getting sweetheart deals?? No. More like the county & state agencies getting kickbacks... They just prefer to call them Engineering review fees...How do you justify a county agency making 1.5 mil in review fees for a job that a High School grad gets done in about 2 hours, only to send back comments that you forgot to capitalize a sentence, and misspelled 3 words in a 90 page report? Or maybe the slew of comments that come back on SWM design because, by their own admission, "they really don't understand SWM design & would appreciate my help in learning their job." guess it would help to justify their 6 figure income if they knew what they were doing....Steed, if you're not a developer in this area then you have no clue what you're talkin about...and building a couple homes here & there does not make one a developer...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
1 - $1.3M is equal to 18 first and second year teachers? That's $72K per teacher. What's up with that?

That looks like what it would cost, in total, to keep an employee (any employee..private or public sector, either one) that is making around 40K per year?

The DLO and G&A overhead burdens for our company combine to make an employee cost the company almost exactly twice what the employee is actually paid. Very typical numbers, ours...

dontknowwhy

Getting a refund or having to pay is not an indication of one's tax payer status. It's just an indication of if that person withheld enough during the year or not. Also, renters pay proprty taxes as well. Those costs are passed to them by their landlords.

By your own statement right there...renters don't pay property taxes...they pay too much in rent...Renters don't get a tax bill. The landlord does. The landlord pays the taxes. He's the one facing burden of making that note & those taxes, not the renter. The renter is paying an admin fee for somebody else to have that burden placed upon them

awpitt

Main Streeter

By your own statement right there...renters don't pay property taxes...they pay too much in rent...Renters don't get a tax bill. The landlord does. The landlord pays the taxes. He's the one facing burden of making that note & those taxes, not the renter. The renter is paying an admin fee for somebody else to have that burden placed upon them

The landlord might be the one who actually writes a check to the County Treasurer; however, the landlord then turns around and recovers that cost from the tenant.

The initial thought that only property owners are tax payers is incorrect.

foodcritic

Steed, I wouldnt mind paying more myself, if I had any real assurance it wouldn't get blown like a kid in a candy store. I do love how you speak of sweetheart land deals and lack of funding in the same sentence. How much was given in that sweetheart deal to buy the farm? More than enough to fund the shortfalls in both BOE and Sheriffs requests, I think. I dont mind giving the businees owners that create jobs a break, I do mind the govt showering favored citizens with my money for a thing worth far less than what we paid. Not just that land deal, but the lot lease of Bells old lot too.

Unless they stop spending it unwisely, I dont want to give them more.

:buddies:

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I try to break even on taxes as should everyone, but EVERYONE should pay something (and not get it back in so called refunds) in return for the services they desire/require from the county/state. Everyone should pay a share or DO a share. But not every one does.

And yes - who ARE the people committing crime causing us to ever expand and provide more services from the sheriff's office, courts and penal system? I grew up poor - I KNOW who MOST the criminals are. It ain't the middle and upper class - although their desires can certainly contribute to the problem.

PS.. Nationally 47% of the citizens that are eligible to pay taxes don't.
40 million people are now on food stamps. I consider any small community a microcosm of the nation.

tom88

I try to break even on taxes as should everyone, but EVERYONE should pay something (and not get it back in so called refunds) in return for the services they desire/require from the county/state. Everyone should pay a share or DO a share. But not every one does.

And yes - who ARE the people committing crime causing us to ever expand and provide more services from the sheriff's office, courts and penal system? I grew up poor - I KNOW who MOST the criminals are. It ain't the middle and upper class - although their desires can certainly contribute to the problem.

I don't know. I would venture to say that out of police calls for service and other related duties, Traffic and domestic assaults would have to take a LOT of their time. I don't know that those crimes are socio economic at all. As far as illegals, I don't see a lot of illegal aliens getting arrested for crimes down here, unless they are still illegal from the arc and dove!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I'm kind of impressed that the CC's set a budget and weren't bullied or frightened into throwing cash at what someone else perceives as a problem.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I don't know. I would venture to say that out of police calls for service and other related duties, Traffic and domestic assaults would have to take a LOT of their time. I don't know that those crimes are socio economic at all. As far as illegals, I don't see a lot of illegal aliens getting arrested for crimes down here, unless they are still illegal from the arc and dove!

Please talk to a cop about the drug and gang activity in St Mary's. I have.

What part about 'illegal' don't you get? The fact that they're here without proper (or legal) documentation makes them criminal. And it is criminal to get services and funds they are not LEGALLY entitled to. If I did it I'd be arrested for it.
Not to mention the amount of identity theft that takes place for them to get counterfeit documents. Illegal immigrants turn to identity theft - Technology & science - Security - msnbc.com

They ARE here in SOMD, and DO use the services, they ADD to the burden, and the are involved in criminal activity - whether it's using a stolen id for a job or drug & gang activity.

glhs837

Power with Control
This probably won't be a popular opinion, but I'm kind of impressed that the CC's set a budget and weren't bullied or frightened into throwing cash at what someone else perceives as a problem.

I'm with you, standing up to the well orchestrated publicity the educational lobby put together makes me very happy. I hope they resist the speed and red light camera company's siren song with just as much fortitude.