Rassie update

Not responding much to insulin (humilin). Recommended ultrasound today showed a tumor on the spleen which, I guess, isn't all that uncommon and may or may not be the cause of not reacting to meds. Further blood tests and then possible surgery are the next step. I just don't know. It seems like her biggest problem right now is her artheritis is getting the upper hand. Has trouble with steps and can't really run at all. More like a lope for a bit. I can get it taken out if necessary, $ aren't too bad, but I seriously doubt she has that long anyway. Crud. My thinking right now is make her as comfy as long as possible and let her go when it's time.

onebdzee

off the shelf
Not responding much to insulin (humilin). Recommended ultrasound today showed a tumor on the spleen which, I guess, isn't all that uncommon and may or may not be the cause of not reacting to meds. Further blood tests and then possible surgery are the next step. I just don't know. It seems like her biggest problem right now is her artheritis is getting the upper hand. Has trouble with steps and can't really run at all. More like a lope for a bit. I can get it taken out if necessary, $ aren't too bad, but I seriously doubt she has that long anyway. Crud. My thinking right now is make her as comfy as long as possible and let her go when it's time.

Still right around the corner....

PrepH4U

:huggy: There are so many different senarios that can come into play with surgery when there are other health problems going on.
My old guy has tumors that should come out but with his age (16) I don't want to put him under sedation. We are just biding our time with him.
I don't think it is wrong to just enjoy your time with her and not put her through the stress of surgery.

:huggy: There are so many different senarios that can come into play with surgery when there are other health problems going on.
My old guy has tumors that should come out but with his age (16) I don't want to put him under sedation. We are just biding our time with him.
I don't think it is wrong to just enjoy your time with her and not put her through the stress of surgery.

She sure doesn't like going to the vet. And I will never do euthansia on a dog again. Not by vet. Sorry any vets out here, I know you mean well.

ginwoman

If not done by a vet then how would it get done? I've heard that in some cases a vet will come to the home. I dread ever having to make these kind of decisions.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Sorry, man. You two have been buddies for quite a while so I know you will do what's appropriate. :cheers: Rassie

Can I ask why you feel this way?

Puts the dog in stress before they die. Take them to the vet which they don't like anyway. They stick an IV in and then bring them out to inject the stuff that kills them. I'd rather see them die as happy as they can be.

:huggy:

Please don't let her suffer.

She's a sweet girl. Take good care of her and don't let her be in pain. :huggy:

I don't think she is in any pain except her athritis. This tumor may have been there for a long time and isn't doing any harm. I'll let them do another more extensive blood test to look for indications of cancer cells or something and go from there. I don't know why they didn't call and see about doing it while they had her there yesterday. They were drawing blood for glucose anyway. Kind of ticked me off.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Puts the dog in stress before they die. Take them to the vet which they don't like anyway. They stick an IV in and then bring them out to inject the stuff that kills them. I'd rather see them die as happy as they can be.

A friend recently had her dog put down, and the vet came to their house. She said it was very peaceful and her pup didn't know any differently.

Either way, it's a hard decision to make. :huggy: My Boxer has cancer, and someday soon I may have to let him go.