Song of the south

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Talking with the wife earlier and got on the subject of Disney movies, found out she's never seen Song of the South. Tried to find a DVD of it and nothing. Did it ever get distributed in the U.S.?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Talking with the wife earlier and got on the subject of Disney movies, found out she's never seen Song of the South. Tried to find a DVD of it and nothing. Did it ever get distributed in the U.S.?

Song of the South - Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Why can't I find this movie anywhere?

A. You cannot find this movie anywhere because after Song of the South's last theatrical release in 1986, Disney decided not to re-release it again, most likely because of the movie's "racist" stigma (although there are no documented complaints stemming from the movie's 1986 theatrical release that I'm aware of.) The movie has been released on video and laserdisc in various foreign countries, but never in the United States. As of December 2001, Song of the South was withdrawn worldwide.

Good luck finding it in the U.S. :cheers:

tipsymcgee

James Baskett (Uncle Remus) was the first African-American male to win an Academy Award. It was of the honorary version, but still the first. I think Hattie McDaniel won as a female for her portrayal of Mammy in Gone with the Wind previous to that.

Thank you Gurps. It didn't like being ripped to ISO format, but plays just fine as an AVI. At least I think it's ok. I sat down to watch it after cutting the grass and promptly fell asleep. Think I saw 5 minutes of it.

Tell FH it was great to see him again, and nice to meet you.