When will Facebook go public?

The latest, much-anticipated, wave of promising internet / technology players going public seems suddenly now underway. LinkedIn went 2 weeks ago, with considerable success I might add). Perhaps trying to strike while the iron is hot (read: before it cools off), Groupon filed for an IPO yesterday, as did Pandora. How far behind can Facebook be?

Would you be a buyer of these newish endeavors, and if so which ones? Can they develop long-term sustainably profitable business models? Or, are they mostly just hype - a developing bubble doomed to burst before too long ala 2000? Which ones will still be around as major business and/or social players in 5 years?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Fool me once, shame on me.....

I lost too much in the 90s tech bubble fiasco. Got 'in' late and reluctantly..against my better judgement.

Won't be doing that again.

jrt_ms1995

What exactly is the point (from a money-making point of view) of FaceBook anyway? Groupon I can see some value in, but definitely not FB, LinkedIn, etc. Won't invest in any as I'm a poor wage slave. :-(

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
What exactly is the point (from a money-making point of view) of FaceBook anyway? Groupon I can see some value in, but definitely not FB, LinkedIn, etc. Won't invest in any as I'm a poor wage slave. :-(

Advertising, same reason Google has became so massive.

Facebook IPO Valuation Could Top $100 Billion: Sources

Facebook, the social-networking site that is one of the most closely-watched private companies in the world, is likely to go public by the first quarter of 2012, say people familiar with the matter, at a valuation that could be pegged at north of $100 billion.

The company’s IPO, were it to happen by next spring, would probably be triggered by a section of the 1934 Securities and Exchange Act known as “the 500 rule,” these people say.

Essentially, the rule mandates that once a private company has more than 500 investors, it must begin releasing quarterly financial information to the Securities and Exchange Commission, just as public companies do.

Pete

Repete
I would buy in as fast as I could. My reason is simple.

When cable TV came out I said "No effing way people will pay for TV when you can get it free. It is a flash and will be gone by 1978."

Then when cell phones came around I said "No damn way this cell phone crap will make it. No one is that damn important they need a phone in their car and no one is going to want to carry around a damn phone all the time."

Not to be outdone when Blackberry came out I said "Who the hell needs to get email and internet on their phone! Stupid idea."

Not satisfied, I said "Yahoo, Earthlink, Amazon.com? They have no earnings! The PE ratio would be retarded. No one will buy that crap."

So now I see Facebook go public, I think it is retarded and worthless as an investment. Given my past track record that is all I need to know and I would buy it, buy all I could get. Of course as soon as the frenzy drives it up to 400% of its IPO I would sell it and maybe even short some of it and wait for the fall.

Of course no regular person can get in on these IPO's so it doesn't matter. By the time the shares hit the open market the $18 IPO offer will be trading at $60.

$2.6B is insane. Some servers, some lisences and air talent? Seriously?

My gut reaction would be to agree with you. I haven't read any of the information filed in association with the IPO though, so that initial reaction probably isn't worth much.

It has traded up to about $23 this morning though, so that would put the value closer to $3.7 Billion.

Facebook Gearing Up for 2012 IPO

Facebook, the world's largest Internet social network, is preparing for a initial public stock offering next year, according to a source familiar with the matter.

Facebook is exploring raising $10 billion, the Wall Street Journal said on Monday. It hopes the offering will value the company at more than $100 billion, according to WSJ, which first reported the story.

Also:

Facebook Settles Privacy Case With US FTC

Facebook will be required to get user consent for certain changes to privacy settings as part of a settlement of federal charges that it deceived consumers and forced them to share more personal information than they intended.

The settlement with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission will also subject the company, which is reported to preparing a $10 billion initial public offering, to 20 years of independent audits.

"I'm the first to admit that we've made a bunch of mistakes," co-founder Mark Zuckerberg wrote in a lengthy post on the company's official blog on Tuesday.

Is Facebook Worth Over $100B? - CNBC Video

In short: Yes, and I tend to agree.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I would buy in as fast as I could. My reason is simple.

When cable TV came out I said "No effing way people will pay for TV when you can get it free. It is a flash and will be gone by 1978."

Then when cell phones came around I said "No damn way this cell phone crap will make it. No one is that damn important they need a phone in their car and no one is going to want to carry around a damn phone all the time."

Not to be outdone when Blackberry came out I said "Who the hell needs to get email and internet on their phone! Stupid idea."

Not satisfied, I said "Yahoo, Earthlink, Amazon.com? They have no earnings! The PE ratio would be retarded. No one will buy that crap."

So now I see Facebook go public, I think it is retarded and worthless as an investment. Given my past track record that is all I need to know and I would buy it, buy all I could get. .

So, given that track record, that is a don't buy recommendation, yes? :lol:

Not bashing you. I have the same record. Point being, whatever I do is wrong even when I do opposite of what I think.

:stupid:

Facebook's initial filing was just posted. Many details of the IPO haven't been decided and reported yet, but this prospectus should tell us all the stuff we've wanted to know about (the business of) Facebook.

Headline details: $3.7 Billion in revenue in 2011 and $1.0 Billion in net income, up from $2.0 Billion and $0.6 Billion in 2010; 845 Million monthly active users and 483 Million daily active users; 100 Billion friendships

Morgan Stanley will be the lead underwriter with other underwriters being: JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Barclays, and Allen and Company. The ticker symbol will be FB, but we don't know what exchange it will trade on yet.

A letter from Mark Zuckerberg starts on page 67 of the prospectus. It's sort of a mission statement / company philosophy overview. I think the main takeaway for potential investors should be: They aren't going to be focused primarily on making money for now, they're going to continue to be focused on evolving and fostering this great resource for the benefit of society. (Those are not Mr. Zuckerberg's words.)

Facebook was not originally created to be a company. It was built to accomplish a social mission — to make the world more open and connected.

We think it’s important that everyone who invests in Facebook understands what this mission means to us, how we make decisions and why we do the things we do. I will try to outline our approach in this letter.

At Facebook, we’re inspired by technologies that have revolutionized how people spread and consume information. We often talk about inventions like the printing press and the television — by simply making communication more efficient, they led to a complete transformation of many important parts of society. They gave more people a voice. They encouraged progress. They changed the way society was organized. They brought us closer together.

Today, our society has reached another tipping point. We live at a moment when the majority of people in the world have access to the internet or mobile phones — the raw tools necessary to start sharing what they’re thinking, feeling and doing with whomever they want. Facebook aspires to build the services that give people the power to share and help them once again transform many of our core institutions and industries.

There is a huge need and a huge opportunity to get everyone in the world connected, to give everyone a voice and to help transform society for the future. The scale of the technology and infrastructure that must be built is unprecedented, and we believe this is the most important problem we can focus on.

Okay, we've got a pretty good idea of what Facebook's IPO is going to look like now. Here's their latest S-1 (amended) filed yesterday. This will take you to their roadshow video trying to sell Facebook to investors.

Some of the important points:

They'll be offering about 337 million Class A shares at a price anticipated to be between $28 and $35. I'd guess the initial price ends up being closer to the high end of that range. 180 million of those shares are new issuance from Facebook (i.e. the proceeds from their sale go to Facebook), the rest of the offered shares are from existing stockholders. There's also an over-alloment option for about 51 million more shares - so a total of about 388 million shares could be sold at the IPO. By my calculations, that would represent about 14% of the ownership interest of the company. At the midpoint of the price range ($31.50), Facebook would raise about $5.6 Billion through this offering. If the shares price at the high end of the range and the extra shares are sold, Facebook should raise closer to $6.5 Billion.

A point I believe I made in another thread: Anyone considering investing in Facebook either at the IPO (if they have the opportunity) or thereafter should do so fully understanding one thing. Facebook will remain, speaking practically, Mark Zuckerberg's company. He will retain essentially complete control over important decision making. That will be true even though he does not (and will not) hold a majority of Facebook's ownership interest. This is because (1) he owns a lot of Class B shares (which are equal to Class A shares with regard to the ownership interest they represent, but which are entitled to 10 votes each rather than the 1 vote each that Class A shares are entitled to) and (2) he holds an irrevocable proxy regarding the voting rights of many other shares that belong to other people (mostly Class B, but some Class A). The result is that, after the IPO, Mr. Zuckerberg will still control about 57% of Facebook's voting power. Some investors might see that as a good thing, some might see it as a bad thing - but all would-be investors should be aware of it.

A few notes about the business' operations. As of the last quarter (March 31, 2012), Facebook reported 901 million monthly active users, 526 million daily active users, and 488 monthly active users that use mobile products (I think this last metric could end up being pretty important for a number of reasons, but I kinda wish they would report it for daily active users).

They reported $1.058 Billion in revenue for the 1st quarter of 2012, which is up from $731 Million for the year prior quarter. More than 80% of that was advertising revenue, the rest was from Facebook Payments (i.e. its system for making payments on the Facebook Platform - e.g., it keeps up to 30% of the money that people spend on Zynga games). Net income was $205 Million, down from $233 Million. The prospectus I linked at the top of the post has more details.

The high end of the anticipated price range would value Facebook at about $96 Billion. Anyone have thoughts? Is it a good (hopefully long-term) investment at that level?

I see a ton of upside potential for Facebook (e.g., I think one potentially big revenue stream could be location-triggered and/or time-dependent direct to mobile device advertising: e.g., based on your likes or those of your friends, an ad - or even a 10% off offer - might pop up on your mobile phone or tablet when you happen to be in the area of a particular restaurant at lunch time). But I also see a number of headwinds that just can't be ignored. I'm not sure where Facebook goes from here - it could become one of the most important and profitable companies in the world, or its relevance could slowly fade. It's going to depend on execution and the big picture decisions that Mr. Zuckerberg makes in the next few years. Do we trust him to make the right ones? It will be interesting to see what he does.

It seems that demand for Facebook's IPO has been strong. It has increased the number of shares that will be available through the IPO to about 421 million (with about 63 million more available for over-allotments) and increased the IPO price target range to $34 to $38 per share. I continue to believe it will price near the top of the range and possibly even above it. So Facebook itself could raise close to $7 Billion through this offering, while existing shareholders could receive another $11 to $12 Billion (good day for the taxman :smile:). A $38 share price would value Facebook at over $100 Billion. Shares are expected to start trading on Friday on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol FB.

Here is Facebook's most recent amended S-1.

Oh... and from the Perfect Timing Department there's this:

GM Says Facebook Ads Don't Pay Off - WSJ.com

General Motors Co. plans to stop advertising with Facebook Inc. after deciding that paid ads on the site have little impact on consumers' car purchases, according to a GM official.

GM spent only about $10 million last year to advertise on Facebook, according to people familiar with the matter. That is a fraction of GM's total 2011 U.S. ad spending of $1.8 billion, according to Kantar Media. It is also a tiny share of Facebook's total 2011 revenue of $3.7 billion, most of which was advertising sales.