Don't run Ralph

I got this e-mail today...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dear Friend,

As you probably know, Ralph Nader is considering running for president
again in 2004. Like millions of Americans, I am disturbed that Nader
may again cost the Democrats the election, and once again tip the
balance in our closely divided nation to George Bush.

Nader says he will make up his mind in the next few weeks. The link
below will take you to a message about Nader's potential candidacy and a
simple step you can take right now to oppose such a run.

Come watch Ralph Don't Run:
(I OBLITERATED THE LINK JUST IN CASE SOME DEM HAD A NOBLE CAUSE OR SOMETHING>>>BK)

I hope you'll consider joining this effort,

Sincerely,

P.S. This is a grassroots campaign that depends entirely on recipients
like us forwarding the message to supportive friends. Once you see the
site, if you're so inclined, please pass this along as broadly as possible.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So...first of all...would Nader REALLY mess up the Democratic effort?
And if he did, wouldn't they make sure they only sent it to DEMS, since GOP members might do it to mess things up on purpose?

Or...is this all just an attention getting device aimed at WHOMEVER might pass it along (in which case I fell for it)???

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Oh sure, Nader could get the nomination, and LaRouche could run for VP! Perot could be secretary of state! Other ideas?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
T, they're not worried about Nader getting the nomination - they're worried about him getting votes. Nader voters would normally vote for the Dem candidate but, like in 2000, Nader could pull enough votes to cause the Dem to lose.

BUT I think that's faulty logic. I'd be curious where the Nader voters were. Were they in states where it was tight between Bush and Gore? Or were they in states where Gore was a runaway and didn't need the votes to get those electorals? My hunch says #2, but I'll check it out.

rraley

The margin between Bush and Gore was less than the vote total for Nader in New Hampshire and Florida. So if those votes had gone to Gore, maybe he would have won those states. But mostly. Nader's votes came in states where the election wasn't close. Like Alaska, Nader got 10% there because the Democrats there had no shot of winning.

I hope that he doesn't run, not because he would make the Democrat lose, but because his ideas are faulty and that eye twitch is damn scary lol.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by vraiblonde
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2000/results/index.president.html

Interesting. Look at the state tallies and add Nader's percentage to Gore's percentage. This is supposedly what Gore should have REALLY won. It would have made a difference in Florida and New Hampshire, giving Gore the win.

Run, Ralph, Run!!!! :lmao:

Mr. Nader was on Bill Maher a few weeks ago and Bill asked him the question about him running for office and ruining the democrats chances. Naders reply was that he intended to find ways to help the democrats bash bush if he did indeed run.

SOCIO

I don't think Nader is running to be the next president as much as he is running to show the world that there is another way. He's been saying this for years, and I do believe that Ralph Nader has done more in his career as a public citizen to help the common folk than anyone in office today...BUt my point is he's making a statement and calling for change. He may not be the next president but he may get the ball rolling...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Yep, Ralph should run. Who knows he might do just as good as Kerry. I bet Bush would be willing to lend him some advertising funds to help him out.