4th of July Fireworks

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
This will be our first 4th of July here. Where is a good place to watch fireworks locally? TIA!

It would help if we knew where "locally" is.

I can speak for Calvert county:
July 2nd -- Herrington on the Bay (Rosehaven, just over the northern Calvert border in Anne Arundel)

July 3rd -- Rod 'n Reel in Chesapeake Beach -- sets them off on a barge out in the bay. Viewable in Chesapeake Beach and from the North Beach waterfront. Chesapeake Beach usually has their water park open late on fireworks day.

July 4th -- Solomons

You could actually do a whole weekend of fireworks watching as they spread it around!

I'm sure someone else will chime in about Charles and St. Mary's counties.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
The solomons fireworks get wussier every year :( I really enjoy the fireworks at the river concert series..on the friday closest to the 4th they usually do a really decent fireworks display and play the 1812 overture..really neat. Its free and you can bring your own food and booze. :starcat:

bulldog

If you have base access you can watch the Solomon's display from "The River's Edge". Not sure of everything they have planned, but you can bring a chair and watch. There will be some food and the bar is open as far as I know.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
The solomons fireworks get wussier every year :( I really enjoy the fireworks at the river concert series..on the friday closest to the 4th they usually do a really decent fireworks display and play the 1812 overture..really neat. Its free and you can bring your own food and booze. :starcat:

Seconded. River concert series at St. Mary's College fireworks are awesome. They time the fireworks to the music and it's quite the display. They are taking place July 1st. I believe the concert starts around 6 or so.

byzybee

Seconded. River concert series at St. Mary's College fireworks are awesome. They time the fireworks to the music and it's quite the display. They are taking place July 1st. I believe the concert starts around 6 or so.

Thirded. This event is awesome, and it's freeeeeee~! They have the concerts every Friday at 7pm, but the 4th of July one (on July 1st this year) is the best. If you have kids you will want to get there early because it can be a long walk from the extended parking area, and finding a spot in front of the tent can be a crowded hassle. I recommend: a blanket/sleeping bag, a couple chairs, bug spray, sparklers, a bucket of fried chicken, some chilled drinks, and some cash to buy glowing necklaces, or other things some vendors may be selling.

This will be our first 4th of July here. Where is a good place to watch fireworks locally? TIA!

All the suggestions here are great, but nothing beats the fireworks display at the CRE... they are interactive... kinda like sparkly dodgeball, but with danger. :clap:

frequentflier

happy to be living

This was organized to raise money to help pay for the fireworks since the Solomons Business Association foots most of the bill for it. My store and Kendall Steffan from the Island Pet Salon were going to raffle off a gift basket worth over $100 w/ proceeds going to help pay for the fireworks. Not enough other businesses responded in a timely manner nor were there people stepping up to volunteer so the organizers felt it best to cancel.
Bummer. I was looking forward to it :frown:

sockgirl77

St. Mary's College of Maryland:

July 1st- Independence Day Weekend: Thomas Jefferson in his own words
Get ready for the 4th of July when Jeffrey Silberschlag and the Chesapeake Orchestra offer readings from Thomas Jefferson set to music and lots of festive, patriotic music, plus a salute to Naval Aviation’s 100th Anniversary and FIREWORKS!

:yay: