True Grit

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As a big fan of the original (and John Wayne in general) I was really prepared to hate this remake. For one, Jeff Bridges?? Taking the place of the Duke?? Really?? And for two, I couldn't imagine anyone as Mattie Ross other than Kim Darby.

Well.

I'm not going to say it was better because that would be blasphemy, but I will say it's a more faithful interpretation of the book. The mood is there, and Bridges' Rooster was more what you picture from the book. The dialog is witty and delivered realistically, and I wasn't bored and tempted to ff or just read the Wiki plot summary instead, like I usually do.

An excellent modern interpretation of a classic :yay:

Vince

I enjoyed it, but the best line in the movie, I don't think bridges did a good job with it. When John Wayne said, fill your hands you SOB and charged at them with the raines in his teeth and the Winchester and pistol. Don't recall Bridges had a Winchester in one hand.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
It was good - still keeping the faith, but not quite as good as the original. But if you've never seen the original, nor read the book, it would be fabulous.

Even my husband, who had only seen the original shortly before we saw the remake (I forced him) said he missed "Lawyer Dagget" being whipped out like a gun at every turn.

I didn't like the ending, though I accepted it.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
I saw the remake before I saw the original. I'm not big into classic movies, so I guess I was able to relate to the remake moreso than the original - if that makes sense. Both were good; I like certain parts of the remake better than the original, and I like certain parts of the original better than the remake.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind is that Jeff Bridges tends to play the part of Rooster Cogburn better than John Wayne, simply because John Wayne's lines tended to sound more like acting; where Bridges played the lines as though he was the actual character. I may think that because I saw the remake first (when it was out in theatres), but I just watched the original again last night and everytime I watch it I get the same feeling. But then again, I've only seen the remake once; so maybe I need to watch it again and see if I still feel the same. JMO

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The one thing that sticks out in my mind is that Jeff Bridges tends to play the part of Rooster Cogburn better than John Wayne, simply because John Wayne's lines tended to sound more like acting; where Bridges played the lines as though he was the actual character.

I didn't like to say that because I was afraid of lightening bolts. Also, Bridges' Rooster was grubby, like he's supposed to be - unlike John Wayne, who looked fresh and recently bathed.

Old movies are fairly cheesy to our modern senses. The acting is fakey and affected, the sets are unrealistic, the actors themselves are plastic. That's part of their nostalgic charm, of course, but now I'm curious what a modern remake of, say, Citizen Kane might look like. Or if - dare I say it? - some talented film maker got his hands on Gone With the Wind.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sacrilege. Burn her. :riot: :cds:

I know, I know. But if it were someone who was faithful to the story, and not like one of those dorks who write GWTW sequels, it could be an excellent movie. In fact, better than the original because it wouldn't have....gawd, I hate to say this....Vivien Leigh with her fake affected English Southern accent.

lovinmaryland

Sacrilege. Burn her. :riot: :cds:

:yeahthat: There is NO WAY anyone can touch that movie. There are just some movies that should not be redone. That is one!

I will have to give the new Tru Grit a chance then, all the people I have talked to about it said it wasnt good.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I know, I know. But if it were someone who was faithful to the story, and not like one of those dorks who write GWTW sequels, it could be an excellent movie. In fact, better than the original because it wouldn't have....gawd, I hate to say this....Vivien Leigh with her fake affected English Southern accent.

Now I am mentally choosing a cast...

Rhett would have to be johnny depp. For no other real reason except that he is in every mental movie I put together. :drool:

Ashley would have to be someone ..soft..ryan phillipe?

Melanie...im tempted to say reese witherspoon..but shes a little too bubblyfor the character..

scarlett is a toughy...amy adams?

mammy....gabourey sidibe?

I would def go see a remake

lovinmaryland

Rhett would have to be johnny depp. For no other real reason except that he is in every mental movie I put together. :drool:

Melanie...im tempted to say reese witherspoon..but shes a little too bubblyfor the character..

A kitten just died since you just posted that :frown:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

:lmao:

Rhett - Josh Brolin
Ashley - I'll second Ryan Philippe

Melanie and Scarlett would almost have to be unknowns, especially Scarlett. How about Queen Latifah for Mammy (because she's who *I* mentally cast in every movie :lol: )?

There are a lot of great characters in the book that didn't make it into the movie, like Dilcey and Will Benteen. My dream remake would include them.

jetmonkey

:lmao:

Rhett - Josh Brolin
Ashley - I'll second Ryan Philippe

Melanie and Scarlett would almost have to be unknowns, especially Scarlett. How about Queen Latifah for Mammy (because she's who *I* mentally cast in every movie :lol: )?

There are a lot of great characters in the book that didn't make it into the movie, like Dilcey and Will Benteen. My dream remake would include them.

Brolin and Phillipe are both too grubby to play those dandies. You need Colin Farrell and Justin Timberlake. Amy Winehouse could be Scarlett.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Brolin and Phillipe are both too grubby to play those dandies. You need Colin Farrell and Justin Timberlake. Amy Winehouse could be Scarlett.

Justin Timberlake, I'll go for. But Colin Farrell comes across as too ghey to be Rhett. It's that Euro switch hitter thing he has going on.

JMILL24

Cubscout MoM
Justin Timberlake, I'll go for. But Colin Farrell comes across as too ghey to be Rhett. It's that Euro switch hitter thing he has going on.

I've got it

Hugh Jackman as Rhett

Matthew McConaughey as Ashley

Now you just try to see fault with those choices. They are both gorgeous!

Toxick

Splat

I would go see a remake.

Unless that was the cast. :p~

Sorry. None of those fit IMO.