"Animal Cruelty" in Kohl's Parking Lot...

mission22

I was meeting a friend to see If he would like my dog in the parking lot. My car was running for 20+ minutes with Auto AC on 66º. I leave my car, AC, and lights ON while I run into the store to let him know I was there; I took every precaution to ensure my dog was safe and comfortable.

It's a push button so I also locked my car. I was 3 minutes max inside the store.

I return to my car with my friend and take my dog out on her leash so he could meet her. Not too much later, a Sheriff's Deputy pulled up and was asking who the dog belonged to. He said they received an animal cruelty call about my dog being left inside of a running, locked, cold vehicle.

The deputy mentioned that he was not even a quarter mile away when he responded (townhouse community right behind the Kohl's shopping center) and looked at the situation and said that the cruelty call was "unfounded." My dog also had easy access to water inside the car, which was also within sight of any passerby.

Then, of course, another deputy arrives and a state trooper. They all decided they had better things to do then deal with a ridiculous, unfounded animal cruelty call.

I would have just liked the opportunity to talk with the person that decided to call the police when it was obvious my car was still on for a reason. Even if it wasn't, the deputy said that it would still be a waste of time since it was overcast and breezy. This person cared enough to call but didn't care enough to stick around and see if the dog was really ok or not? Or talk with the authorities to see why they left without doing anything.

So, I would like to thank the Sheriff's department and State Troopers for having the patience to deal with absolutely oblivious and ignorant people. To the person that called them, I would like you to open up your eyes and think before reacting and wasting officer's time when there are real criminals.

I did my best to hide my true anger. :bigwhoop:

JunkShip

Pastafarian
You should have put your dog on a skateboard and let him terrorize the parking lot. You could have shopped for hours before any law enforcement would show up.

Rommey

In PG County, that would get you a $70 fine and 1 point for leaving a car running while unattended.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
In PG County, that would get you a $70 fine and 1 point for leaving a car running while unattended.

:jerry: Im shocked they didnt give him that here also... I know they can fine ya for that here also!!

well glad they pup was ok.... :huggy:

mission22

I was thinking that while I was talking to the deputy, but even if the car is locked with no keys inside and no way to drive it away because the key fob stays in my pocket?

I thought that law existed because it would be easy to break the window and steal the car. Wouldn't be possible without the fob; even though the car is running it won't go into any other gear than park without the key fob being physically inside of the car.

But, I would have learned my lesson and just put the windows down a bit for my dog. Which is worse? I don't think I would have won in either situation.

Last edited:
You should have put your dog on a skateboard and let him terrorize the parking lot. You could have shopped for hours before any law enforcement would show up.
He'd be an instant YouTube celebrity.

I was meeting a friend to see If he would like my dog in the parking lot.

Was this around 1pm today? White dog? If so, I saw the two of you at the car, before any police showed up.

TGB

I was meeting a friend to see If he would like my dog in the parking lot. My car was running for 20+ minutes with Auto AC on 66º. I leave my car, AC, and lights ON while I run into the store to let him know I was there; I took every precaution to ensure my dog was safe and comfortable.

It's a push button so I also locked my car. I was 3 minutes max inside the store.

I return to my car with my friend and take my dog out on her leash so he could meet her. Not too much later, a Sheriff's Deputy pulled up and was asking who the dog belonged to. He said they received an animal cruelty call about my dog being left inside of a running, locked, cold vehicle.

The deputy mentioned that he was not even a quarter mile away when he responded (townhouse community right behind the Kohl's shopping center) and looked at the situation and said that the cruelty call was "unfounded." My dog also had easy access to water inside the car, which was also within sight of any passerby.

Then, of course, another deputy arrives and a state trooper. They all decided they had better things to do then deal with a ridiculous, unfounded animal cruelty call.

I would have just liked the opportunity to talk with the person that decided to call the police when it was obvious my car was still on for a reason. Even if it wasn't, the deputy said that it would still be a waste of time since it was overcast and breezy. This person cared enough to call but didn't care enough to stick around and see if the dog was really ok or not? Or talk with the authorities to see why they left without doing anything.

So, I would like to thank the Sheriff's department and State Troopers for having the patience to deal with absolutely oblivious and ignorant people. To the person that called them, I would like you to open up your eyes and think before reacting and wasting officer's time when there are real criminals.

I did my best to hide my true anger. :bigwhoop:

"SOME" people have to much time on their hands, so they feel the need to intrude other peoples lives. Wonder if they were in the parking lot watching?

mission22

He'd be an instant YouTube celebrity.

Was this around 1pm today? White dog? If so, I saw the two of you at the car, before any police showed up.

HA, yes! Did you make the call? ;) It makes it worse since she's a bulldog because it always looks like she is too hot. When it's just the way they are: slobbery, pig sounding, and tongue all the way out.

mission22

"SOME" people have to much time on their hands, so they feel the need to intrude other peoples lives. Wonder if they were in the parking lot watching?

I didn't think about that until I left. I'm sure they were disappointed when the police didn't do anything since there was nothing to be done.

HA, yes! Did you make the call? ;) It makes it worse since she's a bulldog because it always looks like she is too hot. When it's just the way they are: slobbery, pig sounding, and tongue all the way out.

:lol: I didn't call.... when I saw you guys, the window was open, dog's head was out the window getting petted and looked quite happy.

quattroginger

although you did leave the a/c on and left with water. as a dog owner. i would never leave my dog in the car. may not have been cruel but the entire area is known for dog thefts. be happy that the cops showing up was all that happened. could of been alot worse.

mission22

although you did leave the a/c on and left with water. as a dog owner. i would never leave my dog in the car. may not have been cruel but the entire area is known for dog thefts. be happy that the cops showing up was all that happened. could of been alot worse.

Absolutely, It could have been a lot worse. But, a dog can not always go everywhere with you and just a couple minutes in the store, I thought we were safe. That was my ignorance.

If they wanted the dog, they could have also stolen the gps, my iphone, ipod, and wallet that I left in there, also. Nothing was in plain sight, of course, except the water bowl! :whistle:

nobody really

I need a nap
The bigger question that i'm concerned about is:

HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET OUT OF KOHLS IN LESS THAN 4 MIN???

#### i go in there just to look and can easily kill and hour. :coffee:

residualvisuals

black widow

People make a habit of stealing dogs around here? Like, that's a thing? A regular thing?

mission22

The bigger question that i'm concerned about is:

HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET OUT OF KOHLS IN LESS THAN 4 MIN???

#### i go in there just to look and can easily kill and hour. :coffee:

Ha, true! It's because I work there and buy too many clearance items as it is. :yahoo:

Cowgirl

Overcast and breezy at 1pm today? Where are you living? I mean, I'm over on the Eastern Shore but I can tell you it is NOT cool enough to leave a dog in a car today. It's great you had the AC on, but the person who called probably didn't realize that and was worried about the dog. What harm did it do? Maybe inconvenience you for a few minutes? Big whoop. There are so many morons who leave their animals in closed cars when it's hot out so I really don't blame the person for calling. You never know when the dog may really be in trouble! And can you blame the person for not sticking around or coming over? People are crazy these days.