Living on a yacht

eim2000

I am thinking about living on a Yacht for my home. Can anyone tell me more about being a live aboard on a boat?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I am thinking about living on a Yacht for my home. Can anyone tell me more about being a live aboard on a boat?

Define a yacht.

And it's not really easy to do around here. l believe the marinas locally have a limit as to how many live aboard boats they can have. I think I remember it being less than 10% of their slips can be live aboards.

And if would have to be a HUGE boat to be as comfortable as a moderate sized home.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sounds like fun to me! Do it! If it turns out to not work, you can always find somewhere else to live.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Be prepared for cramped space even with a 50 footer. You are very limited with space for clothes etc. There's also a lot of maintenance involved.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Define a yacht.

What he said. Everyone has a different definition of what a yacht is to them..and everyone's requirements for creature comforts and living space are quite different.

I've lived aboard many different 'yachts'. I have friends who have in the past or even do so now. From engineless beat-up houseboats with lots of room to cramped 28' sailboats with little room at all...to 140' vessels with room for you and 10 of your friends too.

Get specific...a lot more specific.... and I can give you a much better answer.

Being on the water, be prepared to feel wet and sticky alot, even running an a/c all the time. Be prepared to be cleaning mildew. Be prepared for cabin fever, even a big boat feels very small after a while. Be prepared to get knocked around every time a storm comes up. Be prepared to be up all night checking lines and rigging when the wind starts howling. Be prepared to feel very chilled when winter sets in, and you can't get to the dock because of ice.

belvak

Happy Camper
My friend has been living on her houseboat, at a slip in a marina, for a couple of years now and she still likes it. Guess it just depends on what your needs are.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
What he said. Everyone has a different definition of what a yacht is to them..and everyone's requirements for creature comforts and living space are quite different.

I've lived aboard many different 'yachts'. I have friends who have in the past or even do so now. From engineless beat-up houseboats with lots of room to cramped 28' sailboats with little room at all...to 140' vessels with room for you and 10 of your friends too.

Get specific...a lot more specific.... and I can give you a much better answer.
I was looking at a 34' silverton convertible for 2 people.

lovinmaryland

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 60

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A lot of people live in RVs full time. To me, a houseboat is just an RV for the water.

That. And some are very well appointed too..like the biggest and best RVs out there. Biggest issue with having a houseboat in this area is really only their limitations as to weather and open water; the average house 'barge' is ill-suited to manage a typical Potomac River or Ches Bay storm or even a windy day.

But I hardly ever see any of them move out of their moorings; there must be at least four in the water at Tall Timbers and I'm not sure any actually even run.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
were looking at a 40' to 50' Yacht. Maybe a bluewater.

Plenty of couples live in boats in that size range. Trawlers (like Grand Banks, for example) tend to be some of the 'roomiest' for a given size and are very sea-capable to boot. A lot of liveaboard folks have trawlers if they cruise much. Slow, capable, and very fuel efficient.

A Bluewater is less sea-capable but roomier than most cabin cruisers of similar length; I tend to think of Bluewaters as 'houseboats with a pointy bow'.

bcp

In My Opinion
Plenty of couples live in boats in that size range. Trawlers (like Grand Banks, for example) tend to be some of the 'roomiest' for a given size and are very sea-capable to boot. A lot of liveaboard folks have trawlers if they cruise much. Slow, capable, and very fuel efficient.

A Bluewater is less sea-capable but roomier than most cabin cruisers of similar length; I tend to think of Bluewaters as 'houseboats with a pointy bow'.

I was going to suggest a trawler too. Then tend to be much bigger and nicer for the dollar spent, they are slower but tend to go further on a tank of fuel.

If you can find on older Island Gypsy that has been really well maintained that would be a great starter live aboard. Easy to maneuver, not too bad on fuel consumption and adequate living space for two people that get along.

I did 6 months on a 55' Hatteras Sport fisher back in the 80s. Would not do that again on that boat.

Island Gypsy