Motorcycle Radar

TPD

the poor dad
Today, SMC Deputy on a motorcycle with radar, Indian Bridge Road, (which by the way has a posted speed limit much lower than what the road is designed for) on the shoulder, under the shade tree, out of site - WTF!? And did you know those motorcycles have lots of storage for flares, zip ties, breathalyzer devices, laptops, guns, etc...?

Homer

Today, SMC Deputy on a motorcycle with radar, Indian Bridge Road, (which by the way has a posted speed limit much lower than what the road is designed for) on the shoulder, under the shade tree, out of site - WTF!? And did you know those motorcycles have lots of storage for flares, zip ties, breathalyzer devices, laptops, guns, etc...?

I have never seen a SMC Deputy on a motorcycle. Do they have them?

G

gettingmaddd

Guess someone got pulled over???:whistle:

glhs837

Power with Control
Just spotted this one today,up in Leonardtown, while I was riding through. Gave a wave, he waved back. But the next one, about a minute behind, he didnt wave. About Indian Bridge, keep in mind speed limits are not always about the design speed, but also about how many driveways empty onto it.

I was headed to La Plata on 234 Tuesday morning and at least 8 in formation passed me going the other way... all looked brand spanking new, shiny and sharp... I didn't give it another thought until I spotted this thread!

pelers

I recall seeing one on... Willows Rd? a week or two ago. Was a bit surprised, didn't realize we had motorcycle police down here. Are they county or state?

bohman

They were out on 235 yesterday, too, between Exporation drive and the Immaculate Heart of Mary church.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not really, with proper gear, you can ride virtually all year long. I know OI dont bother to winterize my bike, knowing its very rare you cant get at least one ride in every two weeks, and I dont have proper legwear.

L

letmetellyou

Seems like kind of a dumb idea/ waste of $ since there are so many days of inclement weather around here.

Really? In Southern Maryland there are too many days where you are unable to ride a motorcycle? Maybe you should invest in a Vespa.

mdff21

Actually all three counties have a motor division as well as MSP. MSP uses theirs mostly on the the major highways. Easier to manuver through the traffic to get to an accident. See them a lot on Route 50 in the summer between DC and Ocean City when traffic get backed up. They are also used for special events to get through the crowds. All of them are used for traffic enforcement. As far as inclement weather, MSP has sidecars thata they use on theirs, haven't seen any sidecars on the counties yet.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Actually all three counties have a motor division as well as MSP. MSP uses theirs mostly on the the major highways. Easier to manuver through the traffic to get to an accident. See them a lot on Route 50 in the summer between DC and Ocean City when traffic get backed up. They are also used for special events to get through the crowds. All of them are used for traffic enforcement. As far as inclement weather, MSP has sidecars thata they use on theirs, haven't seen any sidecars on the counties yet.

How hard is to drive from the sidecar?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It's a horrible idea all together, so much easier to bump a motorcycle and more dangerous especially if a car chase pursuit came up. They have had them around for awhile though, use to only see them in parades guess they are starting to bring them out more. :shrug:

just the opposite actually. How many bike cops die a year due to someone bumping them? Then the next question, what production car can outperform, out-maneuver, and is faster then a bike?

Bikes are nimble, fast and probably safer to operate at faster speeds (most are made just for that purpose). A bike cop can get to any crime scene faster than any cop in ANY car.

I've lived in cities where the cops rode 2 stroke dirt bikes, where are you going to run now to get away?

What I don't see is any advantage to a sidecar in inclement weather.

Last edited:
just the opposite actually. How many bike cops die a year due to someone bumping them? Then the next question, what production car can outperform, out-maneuver, and is faster then a bike?

Bikes are nimble, fast and probably safer to operate at faster speeds (most are made just for that purpose). A bike cop can get to any crime scene faster than any cop in ANY car.

I've lived in cities where the cops rode 2 stroke dirt bikes, where are you going to run now to get away?

What I don't see is any advantage to a sidecar in inclement weather.

Seems like they are always getting hit in those motorcades. As far as getting to a crime scene fast, is that what they are using them for? Haven't seen any in any pictures yet.

A dirt bike isn't going very far in these woods, trust me, I've tried.