Amish Lumberyard

wollybugger

Hey I need a 9"x9"-30' piece of oaks for a roof ridge (yeah - don't laugh).

Anybody know where the Amish lumberyards are at ... even if it's green-wood, that's OK

Thanks in advance!!!

glhs837

Power with Control
Up on Friendship School Road, between Maypole and Bishop, saw a place named something Materials, saw raw logs going in and piles of finished lumber, give me a minute to check, theres another up south of Rt 6 between La Plata and Mechanicsville.

http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/202450-looking-rough-sawn-lumber-2.html

this link has a couple on the northern end of the county, Amish folk, so you have to actually go there. Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you, saves the next person some effort.

limblips

PREMO Member
If you use a 9X9 you better make sure that thing is dry! If it warps as it dries, it can move tons of house!

BernieP

Resident PIA
Why not get a laminated beam?

A good question, because that's a rather large piece of lumber.

I never heard of anyone using green lumber in construction - other then the Soviets (read about problems in military housing from a pilot that defected).

limblips

PREMO Member
A good question, because that's a rather large piece of lumber.

I never heard of anyone using green lumber in construction - other then the Soviets (read about problems in military housing from a pilot that defected).

Hemlock makes great framing lumber but it has to be green! It will split if you can get a nail in it dry.

wollybugger

If you use a 9X9 you better make sure that thing is dry! If it warps as it dries, it can move tons of house!

Thanks all for the feedback!!!

Regarding warping:

I have about 4 months and a nice place for it to stack/dry naturally and I really need about 22-24 ft so I'll scrap the ends that get checked

and I'll buy 3 because sure shooting if I buy one it'll warp/bow too much (I can accept a some bowage)

Regarding laminate:

They cost a lot a ton of money ... much more than the 3 I'll buy off the Amish

wollybugger

Up on Friendship School Road, between Maypole and Bishop, saw a place named something Materials, saw raw logs going in and piles of finished lumber, give me a minute to check, theres another up south of Rt 6 between La Plata and Mechanicsville.

http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/202450-looking-rough-sawn-lumber-2.html

this link has a couple on the northern end of the county, Amish folk, so you have to actually go there. Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you, saves the next person some effort.

Will do! Thanks for the link!

mdff21

There's an Amish sawmill on Thompson's Corner Road between Rt 5 and 234. Actually about 2 miles in from 5

bcp

In My Opinion
when you let it dry, put it up on something that will keep it off the ground and turn it every day so all sides get equal dry time. good chance it will not bow doing it that way.