Suck it up or call it in?

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I was driving north on rte 4 yesterday when I noticed a road crew working on the shoulder. I was in the right lane and slowed down to try and get in the left lane. Too much traffic so I proceeded cautiously. The truck in front of me also was slowing down. I slowed down more and then the truck came to an abrupt halt (doing about 50mph at this point) Complete stop in the right lane of rte 4. The passenger of the the truck tossed a cigarette butt at one of the workers. I laid on my horn (pissed beyond description) and they started moving again (there was no traffic in front of us)

I have the tag number and it belongs to the fire department (not sure which one but it is MD)

I was driving north on rte 4 yesterday when I noticed a road crew working on the shoulder. I was in the right lane and slowed down to try and get in the left lane. Too much traffic so I proceeded cautiously. The truck in front of me also was slowing down. I slowed down more and then the truck came to an abrupt halt (doing about 50mph at this point) Complete stop in the right lane of rte 4. The passenger of the the truck tossed a cigarette butt at one of the workers. I laid on my horn (pissed beyond description) and they started moving again (there was no traffic in front of us)

I have the tag number and it belongs to the fire department (not sure which one but it is MD)

Call in to who? State Police? Go for it.

oldman

Lobster Land
And this is one of the various reasons I'm giving up my car and not driving any more. It ain't like when I was growing up and people had respect for others and road rage was unheard of. I only drive a few miles to my stores on back roads but frequently pull off the road to let those that drive up to my bumper get by. There are just to many idiots out there on the roads today.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Call in to who? State Police? Go for it.

I have no idea. That's why I'm asking. Would the FD be a better bet?

Is this something to be expected in Southern Maryland and we just need to suck it up?

I'm hoping somebody with a local fire department will contact me.

JoeR

I would have stopped and gave the information to the road crew. That way they could deal with the idiot. As for the FD tag. Was it a official fire department tag, Maryland Firemans Association tag, or IAFF union tag?

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I would have stopped and gave the information to the road crew. That way they could deal with the idiot. As for the FD tag. Was it a official fire department tag, Maryland Firemans Association tag, or IAFF union tag?

I don't know how to differentiate between the two. I was in a combination of shock (I almost rear ended the truck) and fear after I blew my horn (Possibly the fifth time in ten years I actually blew it)) Son got the tag number at the next light.

You're right, I probably should have turned back around after I got the information miles later.

The license plate placement was this:
f m
d d ####

JoeR

I don't know how to differentiate between the two. I was in a combination of shock (I almost rear ended the truck) and fear after I blew my horn (Possibly the fifth time in ten years I actually blew it)) Son got the tag number at the next light.

You're right, I probably should have turned back around after I got the information miles later.

The license plate placement was this:
f m
d d ####

An official tag will be white with red writing. Association tags have MD Firemans Association across the bottom. Some volunteer departments have their own tags with the name of the volunteer department across the bottom. IAFF tags usually have the Local number across the bottom. Hope this helps. If it is a local volunteer, I'd go to that particular station and talk to one of the chief officers about the conduct of one of their members.

belvak

Happy Camper
And this is one of the various reasons I'm giving up my car and not driving any more. It ain't like when I was growing up and people had respect for others and road rage was unheard of. I only drive a few miles to my stores on back roads but frequently pull off the road to let those that drive up to my bumper get by. There are just to many idiots out there on the roads today.

Be careful doing this!! Both Hubby and I have had people pull right up beside us when we pull over to let them go by and give us the "death" stare. I thought one guy was going to get out of his car and come after me one day. I no longer pull over to let them by. They can continue to ride my bumper, doing the speed limit or 5 MPH over, right along with me...

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Thank you for the PM's. I'm in contact with the State Police and will let you know of the outcome.

It could have been a fatal accident if I wasn't paying attention and didn't have a good car with great braking ability.. Who expects a sudden drop from 50mph to 0 on a highway that's moving?

WTF?

Fairmount

Thank you for the PM's. I'm in contact with the State Police and will let you know of the outcome.

It could have been a fatal accident if I wasn't paying attention and didn't have a good car with great braking ability.. Who expects a sudden drop from 50mph to 0 on a highway that's moving?

WTF?

Ass hole

Fairmount

WTF?

Thank you Wenchy, the greatest driver ever.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
The advice from the State Trooper was basically to suck it up. I didn't call it in when it happened and even with the tag I could not identify the person driving.

He also informed me (as I already was aware of) if I rear ended the vehicle it would have been my fault.

Just a warning to keep plenty of distance and expect the unexpected.