NY: Homosexuals Win but Society Loses

E

EmptyTimCup

:popcorn:

NY: Homosexuals Win but Society Loses

Faith & Family

"[M]arriage, redefined to include homosexuals, is now open to further redefinition to suit the homosexual lifestyle. Just a week after the New York law passed, the New York Times ran a piece promoting the practice of 'flexible' monogamy, or infidelity with permission -- a common practice in 'committed' homosexual relationships. The thesis? It 'works' for the homosexual community, so heterosexuals should try it too. ... Societies that legitimize substitutes for traditional marriage (homosexual 'marriage,' civil unions, cohabitation) inevitably witness the decline of authentic marriage. And as marriage declines, family structures weaken, producing cracks in the bedrock of a stable society. The result? Children suffer. ... Be unequivocal with your children. This is not about 'fairness' or 'equality.' It's about morality and the strength of civil society. Homosexual behavior is wrong. And homosexual relationships are not equivalent to heterosexual marriages, no matter what the New York legislature says." --columnist Rebecca Hagelin

philibusters

The quote says "Be unequivocal with your children. This is not about 'fairness' or 'equality.' It's about morality and the strength of civil society. Homosexual behavior is wrong. And homosexual relationships are not equivalent to heterosexual marriages, no matter what the New York legislature says."

I think gay people would say its about fairness and equality, not about morality and the strength of civil society.

In reality its about both fairness and equality on the one side and about morality and the strength of civil society on the other side. Most contentious issues have competing arguments and points.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The quote says "Be unequivocal with your children. This is not about 'fairness' or 'equality.' It's about morality and the strength of civil society. Homosexual behavior is wrong. And homosexual relationships are not equivalent to heterosexual marriages, no matter what the New York legislature says."

I think gay people would say its about fairness and equality, not about morality and the strength of civil society.

In reality its about both fairness and equality on the one side and about morality and the strength of civil society on the other side. Most contentious issues have competing arguments and points.

I question the morality side of this, personally I think it has more to do with fear and hate.

UNA

Wirelessly posted

Merlin99 said:

I question the morality side of this, personally I think it has more to do with fear and hate.

Maybe fear and misunderstanding. Granted there is most definitely hatred toward those that are in any way different, I think (or maybe I'm just hoping) it's rare.

philibusters

To some people its certainly about morality and the strength of civil society.

To lots of people that may not make sense because to them the issue is about equality and justice. However, I imagine a lot of people who are against gay marriage honestly feel homosexual activity is wrong, the same way most of us believe adultery is wrong. Most of them also feel that gay marriage weakens traditional marriage---they may not have a lot of data to support them in that belief, but by the same token, I believe gay marriage likely has a very minimal impact on traditional marriage, but to be honest, I don't know of many empirical studies that would support my belief.

Just as clearly as the issue centers around morality and the strength of the traditional family for others its clearly not about morality and is about equality. For gay people not allowed to marry, they don't see why everybody else is allowed to marry but they are not. They also likely don't see homosexual activity as a moral issue anymore than most people see eating popcorn as a moral issue.

Mongo53

...the New York Times ran a piece promoting the practice of 'flexible' monogamy, or infidelity with permission -- a common practice in 'committed' homosexual relationships. The thesis? It 'works' for the homosexual community, so heterosexuals should try it too...
So, just like gay marriage, what stops anyone from doing that in a Hetrosexual Marriage now? Are they arguing that it just isn't fair if they don't get the State to Sanction a new form of marriage that allows this?

Why would this be in the states interest?

I know I'm a trogilidite to even bring this up, BUT for eons Nation States endorsed/promoted/sanctioned marriage because it was in the states interest to perpetuate itself and its society saw marriage as the primary means to perpetuate its people and continue their culture and thus continue and grow the Nation State.

BOP

If it's wrong for you, I recommend you not participate in homosexual behavior. Problem solved. Wasn't that easy?

YW

royhobie

hobieflyer

A quote from the bible says "the end is near when you cannot tell the difference between the sexes". It does not define what "difference" is. Some believe in 2012 we will all find out. At least we won't all drown this time around. Just burn up instead. Some believe this is why god is testing scorching the earth in our Southern and Western states as a shot over our bow so to speak. Nobody listens. A few earthquakes. Nobody listens. A volcano here and there. Same thing. A tital wave 50 feet high. Same thing. A nuclear disaster. Same thing. I suspect California will probably have earthquakes and or fires within a few months. And once again, no one will listen.

UNA

A quote from the bible says "the end is near when you cannot tell the difference between the sexes". It does not define what "difference" is. Some believe in 2012 we will all find out. At least we won't all drown this time around. Just burn up instead. Some believe this is why god is testing scorching the earth in our Southern and Western states as a shot over our bow so to speak. Nobody listens. A few earthquakes. Nobody listens. A volcano here and there. Same thing. A tital wave 50 feet high. Same thing. A nuclear disaster. Same thing. I suspect California will probably have earthquakes and or fires within a few months. And once again, no one will listen.

Same old story of the Fundamentalist who cried Apocalypse :killingme

I know I'm a trogilidite to even bring this up, BUT for eons Nation States endorsed/promoted/sanctioned marriage because it was in the states interest to perpetuate itself and its society saw marriage as the primary means to perpetuate its people and continue their culture and thus continue and grow the Nation State.

I don't think you're a troglodyte. Tribalism is a basic human instinct. We all want to surround ourselves with people similar in appearance and attitude. Maintaining that state through cultural immersion of the young is natural.

The tribal part of me finds gays to be distasteful. The libertarian part says let them do what they like as long as there is no harm to me or mine.

My personal compromise would be to allow gay marriage but not allow adoption or gay indoctrination in the schools.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
OP article said:
... the New York Times ran a piece promoting the practice of 'flexible' monogamy, or infidelity with permission -- a common practice in 'committed' homosexual relationships.
As if they have the market cornered. :lol: One of the health channels has a show called "Strange Sex". A recent episode investigated a polyamorous relationship - one woman with two guys. The woman has unique relationships with the two men, but they all live together so there is a unity there; the two men are not intimate in any way. They also have a child who is less than 2 years old.

I don't believe homosexuality in of itself is leading to immorality and the decay of society; immoral people are leading to immorality. But if someone, regardless which side they're on, has an agenda, they will see whatever they want to see.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It is pursuit of gay marriage that have given us $4 a gallon gas.

It is pursuit of gay marriage that collapsed the housing market.

It is pursuit of gay marriage that caused 9/11.

It is pursuit of gay marriage that is responsible for runaway immigration.

It is pursuit of gay marriage that has caused healthcare to skyrocket.

It is pursuit of gay marriage that has enriched Wall Street beyond imagination, bailed out failed corporations and all around lead to a sense entitlement regardless of how poor your performance and/or decisions.

It is pursuit of gay marriage that has lead to not one but two (going on three) UN style military misadventures by the US.

It is pursuit of gay marriage that has lead to mass expansion of social entitlement programs desperately in need of reduction.

And, collectively, all of this, obviously, has lead to the collapse of civilization as we know it and the decline of the West.

:patriot:

Or, perhaps, just maybe, it is rather profoundly misplaced sense of priorities that has lead to all these problems festering and becoming immense due to lack of attention and focus and precious political capital being wasted on combating personal gender choices of people who don't have a damn thing to do with any of the real problems this nation has been facing for a generation.

Maybe.

Mongo53

Or, perhaps, just maybe, it is rather profoundly misplaced sense of priorities that has lead to all these problems festering and becoming immense due to lack of attention and focus and precious political capital being wasted on combating personal gender choices of people who don't have a damn thing to do with any of the real problems this nation has been facing for a generation.
It takes two to make combat.
Like the current administration says, never let a good crisis go to waste. Who else said that?

E

EmptyTimCup

And, collectively, all of this, obviously, has lead to the collapse of civilization as we know it and the decline of the West.

Maybe.

so you are saying there are better things to worry about than Homosexuals and 'Marriage'

the continued decline in "morality", will escalate as Western Civ Circles the drain faster ...... 1st gay marriage, not people are talking multiple partner 'marriages' .... 2 guys one chick, 2 chicks one guy .... more formal acceptance of 'open' Marriages

after all why should the STATE dictate how many people you can be 'married' to

5, 10, 15 .......... at what point does it just become one big group #### ....

well 99% of the churches will not allow this ......... hey lets all be come Moslem, they get multiple wives ......... :jet:

UNA

Wirelessly posted

EmptyTimCup said:

Maybe.

so you are saying there are better things to worry about than Homosexuals and 'Marriage'

the continued decline in "morality", will escalate as Western Civ Circles the drain faster ...... 1st gay marriage, not people are talking multiple partner 'marriages' .... 2 guys one chick, 2 chicks one guy .... more formal acceptance of 'open' Marriages

after all why should the STATE dictate how many people you can be 'married' to

5, 10, 15 .......... at what point does it just become one big group #### ....

well 99% of the churches will not allow this ......... hey lets all be come Moslem, they get multiple wives ......... :jet:

Doesn't matter what the churches want. I don't think it's their (or anyone's for that matter) job to tell me what's moral. As long as I'm not I'm not infringing on anyone's else's rights; I get to keep mine...to spite what politicians seem to think.