Margarita Pizza

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
Was up in Brooklyn NY last week and enjoyed my first and only Margarita Pizza. Does anyone know of any local establishments that offer this NY born delicacy? :yum:

MMDad

Lem Putt
You would have thought so but, in actuality the pie is made up of "sliced" mozzarella- drizzled with olive oil, sauce, and herbs.

I had it in Italy. Weird, the Italians claimed to have invented it. BTW, it's pizza Margherita.

I had it in Italy. Weird, the Italians claimed to have invented it. BTW, it's pizza Margherita.

Sometimes.... if you Google it, there are at least 3 different spellings.
margaritta pizza - Google Search

The closest you may get down here is a white pizza. You could ask them to add basil, parsley, oregano and olive oil to make it more like the NY style. Some are made with pesto as well.

MarieB

You would have thought so but, in actuality the pie is made up of "sliced" mozzarella- drizzled with olive oil, sauce, and herbs.

It is really easy to make. Giant has pizza dough in bags over by the deli. Giant, Wal Mart, and Shoppers all have fresh mozzarella in a long loaf for slicing or you can get it in brine. (I think it's cheapest at WM) As far as the sauce, if you want canned then I know Shoppers has Don Pepino over by the deli. That is pretty good sauce. Wal Mart & Shoppers may have Contadina.

Here is Emeril's recipe
Classic Margarita Pizza - New York Style Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

You could even make it on the grill if you like grilling

blacklabman

It has the colors of the Italian flag: red (tomato sauce), white (motzarella), and green (basil). It was named after a noble in the province of Savoy.

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
Reminds me to check if Mamma Lucia in PF has it at the menu. Maybe even talk to the owners of Three Brothers also in PF.

UPDATE! Mamma Lucia in PF does have the pie on their menu but looking at the photo provided on their web page, not what I expected.

Last edited:

puggymom

Was up in Brooklyn NY last week and enjoyed my first and only Margarita Pizza. Does anyone know of any local establishments that offer this NY born delicacy? :yum:

I just got home from visiting the inlaws in NY (45 minutes outside NYC). I make fun of my hubby for being a pizza snob but he is right...NY pizza, even the regular kind IS that much better!

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
I just got home from visiting the inlaws in NY (45 minutes outside NYC). I make fun of my hubby for being a pizza snob but he is right...NY pizza, even the regular kind IS that much better!

My hubby makes fun of me for being a pizza (and bagel) snob too. But he'll sure be pigging down some NY pizza when we go visit my family in September. :yahoo: