Republicans ending Medicare?

acommondisaster

I just had an emaul from Steny saying the republicans are trying to end medicare. I haven't been watching the news the last couple of days and I couldn't find anything more recent in a quick google about medicare cuts than the Ryan proposal. Anyone know what HOyer is talking about?

He's awfully distressed that the Social Security offices are going to close to the public a half hour earlier so that the employees can do their paperwork and not incur overtime. I don't find that very distressful myself.

This_person

I just had an emaul from Steny saying the republicans are trying to end medicare. I haven't been watching the news the last couple of days and I couldn't find anything more recent in a quick google about medicare cuts than the Ryan proposal. Anyone know what HOyer is talking about?

He's awfully distressed that the Social Security offices are going to close to the public a half hour earlier so that the employees can do their paperwork and not incur overtime. I don't find that very distressful myself.

A. It's Hoyer - does even HE know what he's talking about?
B. He's lying and trying to scare people to distract them from real solutions to real problems that Democrats (and, in all fairness, Republicans) have failed miserably to contain or correct for a century.

acommondisaster

A. It's Hoyer - does even HE know what he's talking about?
B. He's lying and trying to scare people to distract them from real solutions to real problems that Democrats (and, in all fairness, Republicans) have failed miserably to contain or correct for a century.

I want to send him a scathing email if he's lying...although he no longer sends me a response. I just want to have my facts straight. (Unlike him) I just can't figure out what plan the Republicans PASSED this week. (how do you pass a plan, anyway?)

Hoyer Herald: Fiscal Burden Should Not Be Placed on Most Vulnerable Americans

This week, House Republicans passed a radical plan to cut, cap, and end Medicare, a program that many Americans rely on. This bill would write into law extreme and unpopular priorities – more extreme than those offered in this spring’s Ryan budget, which would have ended Medicare – and dramatically slash programs for the most vulnerable Americans, programs like Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security

Last edited:

This_person

I want to send him a scathing email if he's lying...although he no longer sends me a response. I just want to have my facts straight. (Unlike him)

I'll bet the key words to keep him from technically lying are "as we know it". ANY change would be "ending Medicare as we know it".

... more extreme than those offered in this spring’s Ryan budget, which would have ended Medicare...

Even if that doesn't meet the strictest dictionary definitions of lying, it would have met the definition in my father's house. So, in my book, he lied. That seems to be happening an awful lot these days.

I also happen to think that that would meet most dictionary definitions. It would be hard to argue that it wasn't a lie.

I think the old gentleman has simply lost it. I send his office an email earlier tody, begging tehm to tell me that Steny didn't really say this..at least not with a straight face.

Hoyer: Balanced Budget Amendment Would ‘Make it Virtually Impossible to Raise’ Taxes | CNSnews.com

Well, if the balanced budget amendment proposal he's referring to passed and was ratified, that would make it pretty difficult to raise taxes. It would require a 2/3rds majority of each house of Congress to pass a bill "to increase revenue".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well, if the balanced budget amendment proposal he's referring to passed and was ratified, that would make it pretty difficult to raise taxes. It would require a 2/3rds majority of each house of Congress to pass a bill "to increase revenue".

Uh..duh. I cannot count how many people think that is the best idea since they invented sliced bread.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It may be a good idea, but it's not crazy to suggest that it would make it close to impossible to raise taxes.

Zing. That is the whole point. Take that power almost entirely away from the idiots that cannot control themselves...and do not have to because there is no downside.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member

And that is a bad thing?

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
It may be a good idea, but it's not crazy to suggest that it would make it close to impossible to raise taxes.

Good! Those with a demonstrated inability to control themselves from spending beyond their means should have an easy path to collect more taxes in order to spend more.

Zing. That is the whole point. Take that power almost entirely away from the idiots that cannot control themselves...and do not have to because there is no downside.

:yeahthat:

Pete

Repete
I thought it was a well known fact the GOP hates old people, especially sick ones and wants them all to die.

bcp

In My Opinion
Didn't That scumbag push for the obamacare?
Didn't obamacare strip money from medicare to cover part of the cost of the social program?

Its called deflection. You got the letter because you are a registered democrat, and because you are a registered democrat, hoyer and those like him assume that you are just too damn stupid to know any better... after all, the people that continue to vote hoyer in, are the same ones he sent the letter to.. coincident? I don't think so.

Of course that's the point.

(But I would note for the record that, although on its face the proposed amendment would take "that power almost entirely away from the idiots that cannot control themselves". In reality, it would not. As it turns out, they built in for themselves the ability to waive the provisions of the amendment with a simple majority vote in both houses of Congress.)

And that is a bad thing?

No, I didn't suggest that it is. Saying that something is true is a far cry from suggesting that it is bad that it is true.

Gilligan said, "I send his office an email earlier tody, begging tehm to tell me that Steny didn't really say this..at least not with a straight face", as if what Mr. Hoyer said was ridiculous or plainly erroneous. I was letting him know that it wasn't by describing part of what the proposed balanced budget amendment would do (since, generally speaking, most people seem unaware of what many of these legislative proposals actually do or don't say).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
No, I didn't suggest that it is. Saying that something is true is a far cry from suggesting that it is bad that it is true.

Gilligan said, "I send his office an email earlier tody, begging tehm to tell me that Steny didn't really say this..at least not with a straight face", as if what Mr. Hoyer said was ridiculous or plainly erroneous. I was letting him know that it wasn't by describing part of what the proposed balanced budget amendment would do (since, generally speaking, most people seem unaware of what many of these legislative proposals actually do or don't say).

You are stuck in too-literal land. My point was to let Mr. Hoyer know that I find his apparent 'discomfort' with the prospect of having his ability to always grab and then waste more and more of MY money quite satisfying, in fact. If he was a politician I could support (obviously he is not), he would be supporting that kind of legislation, not whining about it.

You are stuck in too-literal land. My point was to let Mr. Hoyer know that I find his apparent 'discomfort' with the prospect of having his ability to always grab and then waste more and more of MY money quite satisfying, in fact. If he was a politician I could support (obviously he is not), he would be supporting that kind of legislation, not whining about it.

Fair enough.

It bears repeating though that, in reality, his (expressed) fears are unwarranted. The provisions of the amendment, left in force, would make it rather difficult to raises taxes; but, the amendment would give Congress the power to waive those provisions. So much for real constraints on the power of Congress to spend like the drunken sailors we expect them to spend like.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
... what the proposed balanced budget amendment would do (since, generally speaking, most people seem unaware of what many of these legislative proposals actually do or don't say).

There are plainly several issues with all legislation.
  • There is too much of it.
  • Most has no Constitutional authority.
  • Citizens are more concerned with sports scores or the latest reality TV show than the running of the government.

Toxick

Splat
There are plainly several issues with all legislation.
  • There is too much of it.
  • Most has no Constitutional authority.
  • Citizens are more concerned with sports scores or the latest reality TV show than the running of the government.

1 and 2 are the direct result of number 3, unfortunately.