When Extremism Learns to Blow things Up

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
LINK

"The revelation by CNN that Norwegian right wing terrorist Anders Behring Breivik kept a diary in which he obsessed about the dangers of cultural Marxism, multiculturalism, and the “Islamification” of Europe will remind many Americans of the tactics of our own right wing (only these themes have been taken up by people much more mainstream in the US than Breivik is in Norway!) The movement to ban the shariah, the castigation of a progressive income tax as “Marxist,” the condemnation of multiculturalism as a threat to Western values, are all themes commonly heard in the US Tea Party and in the right wing of the Israel lobbies.

It would be wrong, of course, to suggest that anyone who hits these themes is a terrorist in waiting or supports violence.

But here is the reason for which such rhetoric is dangerous and can easily lead to social violence.

It is black and white, allowing no nuance. Immigration is not a smooth process, and is attended with problems in some cases. The history of the United States, an immigrant society, suggests that whatever the problems are, they are not insuperable. But Breivik saw Muslim immigration in particular as a threat to the very identity of Europe. That is, if the immigration from the Middle East were allowed to continue, then ultimately there would be no Europe, just a big Iran on all sides of the Mediterranean. Moreover, he imagined this process of Islamification as happening very quickly.

Breivik’s thinking is not new under the sun. Protestant Nativists of the “Native American” and later “Know-Nothing” (i.e. secret society) movement in the 1830s through 1850s in the United States felt exactly the same way about Catholic immigrants to the US. America wouldn’t be America if this went on. Their values were inherently incompatible with the Constitution. Their loyalties were to an anti-modern foreign court dedicated to reinforcement of political and intellectual tyranny. The hordes of them would take over the country before too long. The combination of black-and-white thinking and a conviction that undesirable change is coming very rapidly often provokes violence. Brian Porter’s When Nationalism Learned to Hate makes the point about Poland, that peaceful democratic processes depend crucially on patience and a conviction that the future can be won. When members of a movement become impatient and believe that the situation could quickly and unalterably shift against them, they are much more likely to turn to violence.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Ah, the left slathering to call the right fringe terrorists. Why am I not surprised. After Giffords was such a let down for you all, I am sure you have been waiting on pins and needles - who cares if its a crazy man in a whole other culture. :lol:

bcp

In My Opinion
Heres the way I see it.
If I blow up some federal building, the left will love me and one day one of my friends can become president of this country, and he can then send me contracts and business investments at the taxpayers expense.

Anyone think something like that could work?

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Heres the way I see it.
If I blow up some federal building, the left will love me and one day one of my friends can become president of this country, and he can then send me contracts and business investments at the taxpayers expense.

Anyone think something like that could work?

ZING!

glhs837

Power with Control
Note to the Left: Conservative folks think killing folks who are not actively trying to kill you is a bad thing. If a nutjob kills folks in the name of conservatism, we don't claim him, we wont excuse his actions. He's an evil man, doing evil things, fry his ass.

Trying to equate this sort of insane person with folks who just want a smaller, more responsible govt just make you look like fools.

bcp

In My Opinion
Note to the Left: Conservative folks think killing folks who are not actively trying to kill you is a bad thing. If a nutjob kills folks in the name of conservatism, we don't claim him, we wont excuse his actions. He's an evil man, doing evil things, fry his ass.

Trying to equate this sort of insane person with folks who just want a smaller, more responsible govt just make you look like fools.

What really makes them look like fools is when they expend all the energy to prove they are fools, in reality, all they have to do is put an obama sticker on the back of their car and they can without exertion, show millions what a fool they are.

Mongo53

Remind me again? Who's Home did Barrack Obama announce his Candidacy to kick off his political career?

Could it be the guy that said this?
Bill Ayers said:
I don't regret setting bombs, I feel we didn't do enough.

dontknowwhy

So Breivik is saying what he did was "atrocious" but necessary....He killed 93 people to bring light to the Islamic takeover in Europe...It didnt matter if what he was doing was illegal, immoral, or caused great damage to others, as long as the end result was bringing attention to the growing Islamic "problem" to the world....sounds like progressive thinking to me...

Here's an example...let's say some people in the current administration see a growing problem with firearms getting into the hands of the Mexican Drug Cartels...

bcp

In My Opinion
So Breivik is saying what he did was "atrocious" but necessary....He killed 93 people to bring light to the Islamic takeover in Europe...It didnt matter if what he was doing was illegal, immoral, or caused great damage to others, as long as the end result was bringing attention to the growing Islamic "problem" to the world....sounds like progressive thinking to me...

Here's an example...let's say some people in the current administration see a growing problem with firearms getting into the hands of the Mexican Drug Cartels...[/QUOTE]

So we nuke Mexico, get rid of 90% of the drug problems, get rid of 99% of our illegal problem, get GM back to put people to work.
We lose?
A donkey show in Tijuana

dontknowwhy

oh, ok...got it...little slow on that one...I'm really gonna miss the donkey shows then...but you can't make an omelet without breakin a few eggs...