Calvert County / Chesapeake Village Bus Stop

wendyocurrie

The residents of Chesapeake Beach believe the current bus stop location for middle and high school students is dangerous and unsecure. Not only is Bayside Road busy with vehicles moving at fairly high rates of speed but the location is extremely isolated, roughly a quarter mile from the nearest house, and bordered by a heavily wooded area.

Children have reported being approached by strangers in vehicles on Bayside Road. If a criminal attempted to take a child, or if an accident occurred, there would be no adults within earshot to hear cries for help or assistance. The wooded area next to the bus stop provides substantial concealment for someone with bad intentions to lay in wait. The current bus stop location does not provide our children with a safe, secure place to wait for the bus.

We have offered potential solutions to the county, but have been rebuffed. According to official interpretation of current policy, our present unsafe bus stop meets safety standards. Therefore we believe it is prudent to pursue changes to the current policy. Please respond with any ideas as to how best to proceed.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
School starts August 24th for 6th & 9th grade students (25th for all others) in Calvert County. I live in PF and this is the first I've heard of this situation -how long have you been trying to get it addressed?

Like TwinOaks asked - to whom have you gone in the county? CCPS Transportation? County Commissioners?

wendyocurrie

The residents of Chesapeake Village originally addressed this issue on 20 July with Ed Cassidy, the Director of Transporation for Calvert County Public Schools. He has agreed to readdress the issue once school has begun; however, we will need to begin the process of possible policy change in the event that a decision is made that is does not provide for a safe bus stop location. I assume this is handled through the Calvert County Board of Education, but I am unfamiliar with the process.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
The residents of Chesapeake Village originally addressed this issue on 20 July with Ed Cassidy, the Director of Transporation for Calvert County Public Schools. He has agreed to readdress the issue once school has begun; however, we will need to begin the process of possible policy change in the event that a decision is made that is does not provide for a safe bus stop location. I assume this is handled through the Calvert County Board of Education, but I am unfamiliar with the process.

The policy addressing Transportation in Calvert is available online at the Calvert County Public Schools website (link here).

In reading over this policy, it indicates that Mr. Cassidy is the one who would make the decision to change a bus stop. The conditions under which he might do so are clearly spelled out in this policy document. In reading over it, I did see one thing that might be an issue and that would be in the roads in Chesapeake Village are not under County or state control (ie., if they are private held by the subdivision itself with a homeowners' association or similar body responsible for their upkeep). In that case, a written agreement would be necessary. I'm not sure who owns your streets and that's why I mention this.

This policy seems to be fairly straight-forward and seems to cover what it needs to cover. I do not see where anything is missing from this policy so perhaps you can clarify where & why a policy change would be necessary.

You say that children have been approached by strangers. Have any of these incidents been reported to the local Sheriff's Department for action? If not, why not? If there is any documentation (such as police reports) that would back up your contention that a danger exists, they should be shown to Mr. Cassidy so he has all of the information necessary to make an informed decision. Mr. Cassidy is very concerned about the welfare of our students and will take action to serve their best interests and keep them safe. I do not believe however, that he can act based upon rumors and hearsay. That is why I am recommending that any police reports be brought to his attention. Mr. Cassidy has worked in our county for years and is familiar with the northern end of the county. He is fair and reasonable. If he said that he would re-address the issue once school starts, then he will do so.:coffee:

Bann

PREMO Member
The policy addressing Transportation in Calvert is available online at the Calvert County Public Schools website (link here).

In reading over this policy, it indicates that Mr. Cassidy is the one who would make the decision to change a bus stop. The conditions under which he might do so are clearly spelled out in this policy document. In reading over it, I did see one thing that might be an issue and that would be in the roads in Chesapeake Village are not under County or state control (ie., if they are private held by the subdivision itself with a homeowners' association or similar body responsible for their upkeep). In that case, a written agreement would be necessary. I'm not sure who owns your streets and that's why I mention this.

This policy seems to be fairly straight-forward and seems to cover what it needs to cover. I do not see where anything is missing from this policy so perhaps you can clarify where & why a policy change would be necessary.

You say that children have been approached by strangers. Have any of these incidents been reported to the local Sheriff's Department for action? If not, why not? If there is any documentation (such as police reports) that would back up your contention that a danger exists, they should be shown to Mr. Cassidy so he has all of the information necessary to make an informed decision. Mr. Cassidy is very concerned about the welfare of our students and will take action to serve their best interests and keep them safe. I do not believe however, that he can act based upon rumors and hearsay. That is why I am recommending that any police reports be brought to his attention. Mr. Cassidy has worked in our county for years and is familiar with the northern end of the county. He is fair and reasonable. If he said that he would re-address the issue once school starts, then he will do so.:coffee:

:yay: Everything you said sounds completely reasonable to me.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Just had it pointed out to me that this thread is in "User support" which is designed to assist newbies with questions about how to work the forums.

Perhaps Vrai can move it to "Life in Southern Maryland" where it might get a bit more response from others (not all of us use the "new posts" function after all.).

To the OP -- since this is your first thread here, it helps to read the descriptions under each forum so you can place your thread in the forum where it will get the most responses if you are seeking information.

Not many people will see it in User Support if they are not using the "new posts" feature.

If Vrai (Board Mommy) or David (Admin) can't move it, you might want to consider re-posting it in the other forum.

wendyocurrie

I have read the policy and it is not sufficient to ensure the bus stop is in a safe place. Otherwise, Mr. Cassidy would be able to change from the present location to a safe location. I am not sure that police reports have been filed regarding our daughters being approached at this bus stop, since approaching someone is not illegal to my knowledge. However, it is apparently a good idea that we begin to do so in the future. Referring to the original post, the children (young girls) being approached by men is not the only concern. The area is surrounding by woods, on a busy highway and nowhere near any of the neighborhood homes for egress purposes. These matters are not subjective or hearsay and clearly indicate unsafe conditions, which are allowable by current standards. My question did not pertain to the sufficiency of the policy, as it is clearly insufficient. It was how can we begin to affect policy change to ensure safer bus stops? Is there anyone who can address how the bureaucracy works on such an issue? And thanks for the advice to repost in a more appropriate area. I am new to this forum.

Last edited:

Bann

PREMO Member
I have read the policy and it is not sufficient to ensure the bus stop is in a safe place. Otherwise, Mr. Cassidy would be able to change from the present location to a safe location. I am not sure that police reports have been filed regarding our daughters being approached at this bus stop, since approaching someone is not illegal. However, it is a good idea that we begin to do so in the future for the record, given that thus far, the county has been unwilling to assist us in procuring a safer venue. My question did not pertain to the sufficiency of the policy, as it is clearly insufficient. It was how can we begin to affect policy change to ensure safer bus stops? Is there anyone who can address how the bureaucracy works on such an issue?

Just curious, but have you gone to the County Commissioners? They are supposed to work for us and maybe they can get the ball rolling faster, etc.

wendyocurrie

I have not approached the county commissioners. That is a good idea. I suppose that is the next step if necessary. Currently there is a Town Hall meeting at 8:00 on Thursday the 18th. I hope there will be someone from the county in attendance to discuss the issue.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I have read the policy and it is not sufficient to ensure the bus stop is in a safe place. Otherwise, Mr. Cassidy would be able to change from the present location to a safe location. I am not sure that police reports have been filed regarding our daughters being approached at this bus stop, since approaching someone is not illegal to my knowledge. However, it is apparently a good idea that we begin to do so in the future. Referring to the original post, the children (young girls) being approached by men is not the only concern. The area is surrounding by woods, on a busy highway and nowhere near any of the neighborhood homes for egress purposes. These matters are not subjective or hearsay and clearly indicate unsafe conditions, which are allowable by current standards. My question did not pertain to the sufficiency of the policy, as it is clearly insufficient. It was how can we begin to affect policy change to ensure safer bus stops? Is there anyone who can address how the bureaucracy works on such an issue? And thanks for the advice to repost in a more appropriate area. I am new to this forum.

B. Bus Routes
i. Bus routes are established and designed by the Director and/or their
designee so that each route is maximized for safety, adequacy, efficiency,
and economy.

page 2 of 6 of the policy.

Please explain how this is not suitable to ensure that the bus stop is in a safe place in your opinion.

Also, for your information, proximity to a highway (route 261 is not usually considered a "highway", speed limit there is 30 - 40 mph) is not something that would preclude having a bus stop there. There are bus stops along the divided section of 260 at subdivision entrances and also along route 4 (which would be considered a highway since it is higher speed and a four-lane divided road.)

If your child's safety is this much of a concern, might I suggest that you do what I did and make arrangements to supervise your child(ren) at the bus stop prior to pick-up and after drop-off? (And, no I am not a stay-at-home parent -- I work and made arrangements with my employer). The policy also states:

A. Student Welfare Prior to Pick-Up and After Discharge
i. The School System assumes no responsibility for the safety and wellbeing
of children prior to being picked up or after they have been
discharged from the Bus. It is the responsibility of the Parent to ensure
proper care and supervision are provided prior to pick-up and after
discharge of the Students. Students and their families assume
responsibility for any damage done to persons or properties as students are
walking to or from their assigned bus stop

I had concerns about some of the activities going on with the kids so I stayed by the bus stop until the kids were picked up and hubby did the afternoon duty (through middle school). Usually, there are one or more parents in the neighborhood who share the same concerns and it is helpful to communicate with neighbors and work something out. Calvert county does not do door-to-door pick-up of students unless they are Special needs students.

Since Mr. Cassidy has committed to taking another look at this, I suggest that you allow him an opportunity to do so. If you do not agree with his decision after he looks at it again, your next option would be to approach the Superintendent and then the school boardnd FINALLY, the County Commissioners. It is helpful to do these things by going through channels and up the chain of command (easier to get cooperation that way instead of going in with the atom bomb first).

It is possible that Mr. Cassidy is delaying any changes at this point due to the change in starting times for several of the schools and the impact that this will have upon the bus schedules. Bus routes are very much a domino situation. He will need a few days to see where the issues/problems are going to occur so he can move to fix them.

Last edited:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
School starts August 24th for 6th & 9th grade students (25th for all others) in Calvert County. I live in PF and this is the first I've heard of this situation -how long have you been trying to get it addressed?

Like TwinOaks asked - to whom have you gone in the county? CCPS Transportation? County Commissioners?

Where did you see that? Says the 24th on both kid's school websites (Pax Elem and Appeal Elem.) and on the 2011-2012 school calendar posted on CCPS website.

Bann

PREMO Member
Where did you see that? Says the 24th on both kid's school websites (Pax Elem and Appeal Elem.) and on the 2011-2012 school calendar posted on CCPS website.
My bad! I mixed up the date witht the days. 8/23(Tues) is for 6th & 9th grades. 8/24 (Wed) for everyone.

wendyocurrie

In response to twinoaks207:

Quote:
"B. Bus Routes
i. Bus routes are established and designed by the Director and/or their
designee so that each route is maximized for safety, adequacy, efficiency,
and economy."

I am glad you quoted this clause. This is exactly what I am referring to when I state there may need to be a change in county policy. “Maximized for safety” is very ambiguous. There needs to be some definition here since what constitutes safety is very much open to interpretation and has become a source of disagreement. There currently exists a distinct gulf in opinions on this parameter. This problem can be avoided in the future with guidance that is more concise.

Quote:
"A. Student Welfare Prior to Pick-Up and After Discharge
i. The School System assumes no responsibility for the safety and wellbeing
of children prior to being picked up or after they have been
discharged from the Bus. It is the responsibility of the Parent to ensure
proper care and supervision are provided prior to pick-up and after
discharge of the Students. Students and their families assume
responsibility for any damage done to persons or properties as students are
walking to or from their assigned bus stop"

Given the school system assumes no responsibility for the children before they are picked up, we need to provide the safest bus stop conditions possible. The parents believe that assuring the children receive adequate care and that their safety and well being is provided for while waiting for the bus is our responsibility. Thus, we wish to ensure our children are waiting for the bus in a secure area and is the very reason we are pursuing this issue. It clearly poses more difficulty for the parents to provide for the children’s safety if the bus stop in in an inherently unsafe location to begin with.

Quote:
“If you do not agree with his decision after he looks at it again, your next option would be to approach the Superintendent and then the school board. FINALLY, the County Commissioners. It is helpful to do these things by going through channels and up the chain of command (easier to get cooperation that way instead of going in with the atom bomb first).”

This is precisely the reason I started this post. I wanted to find out about the process so that I could begin as early as possible in the event the change request is yet again rejected. This is too important an issue to table or ignore for any amount of time. Although parental oversight addresses many of our concerns: the dark at certain times of the year, the heavily wooded areas and lack of safe egress in the event of an emergency; traffic still is a problem. In fact, during inclement weather, parents are apt to drive their children to the bus stop and then there becomes a congestion issue that is rather chaotic with the bus and the kids and the traffic along the highway. While the speed limit outside of our neighborhood along highway 261 is 40MPH, there is a real speeding problem along that road. Rarely do drivers obey the speed limit and are usually driving much faster all the way past Beach Elementary and into Chesapeake Beach. In fact, at the last town council meeting the speeding along this stretch was addressed.

One solution is to ensure there is a police officer on duty to deter speeding or a camera could be installed. However, utilizing the camera option, the consequence would be far removed from the crime and would not suit the intended purpose and ensuring police protection twice a day throughout the school year would be cost prohibitive. In addition, neither of these solutions address the congestion problem that occurs on occasions of inclement weather. It would be much less expensive to simply move the bus stop away from the highway. We are not asking for door-to-door pick up. We want only the one bus stop to be moved away from the highway to a safe location that provides the possiblility of egress to a nearby home in the event of an emergency. It would cost the county nothing more than two minutes of bus time, reduce its liability and ensure the children are much safer than they otherwise would be. It is a very minor, win-win change that should be very simple to implement.

You have not stated your name; however, you sound as if you are either a representative of the county or otherwise have a stake in this issue. Perhaps you could attend the Town Council meeting on the 18th at 8:00 and assist us in working a solution. Mr. Cassidy has stated he will not be in attendance.

Last edited:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
No, I am not connected with the county, nor do I have a stake in where your bus picks up other than as a fellow tax-payer who has no issue with the schools at this point.

After reading your posts, it is clear to me that you are firmly on one side of that gulf dividing opinions and prefer to have the other side jump over to you rather than attempt to build a bridge.

As I am also (from your posts) getting the impression that you are a recent arrival to Calvert County, I feel obligated to point out that going to the Town Council & Mayor of Chesapeake Beach is a somewhat futile effort as they have no jurisdiction over the county School Board. Neither, really, do the County Commissioners, other than as a funding mechanism. Both bodies, most likely, will do you the courtesy of listening and will then refer you to the School Board (a separate elected body).

I still stand by my suggestions that you give Mr. Cassidy a chance to look at the problem after he's had a chance to solve any of the first week of school issues, and set up a neighbor watch at the bus stop to help you feel more secure in your children's safety. And, next time, if you're that concerned about strangers in cars speaking to your daughters, make sure that you notify the police promptly and let them decide what is illegal and what is not.

wendyocurrie

There is no connection between the need to move a bus stop and the quality of Calvert County Schools, which is exceptional. The residents of Chesapeake Village stand firmly on the side of providing a safe environment for our children; however, we are very much open to different options as to how that may be accomplished. We have attempted to bridge the gulf by offering several different approaches, all of which have currently been rejected. We were hoping Mr. Cassidy would attend the upcoming Town Council Meeting to discuss the various possibilities and work together towards viable solution. Thus far, he has neither agreed to any of the proposed options and neither he nor a representative of his office will be attending the town meeting on Thursday to work on a solution. We are hopeful that after the first of the school year the matter will be settled, but are attempting to prepare ourselves for the next step in the process in the event it is not.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The residents of Chesapeake Village stand firmly on the side of providing a safe environment for our children; however, we are very much open to different options as to how that may be accomplished. We have attempted to bridge the gulf by offering several different approaches, all of which have currently been rejected. We were hoping Mr. Cassidy would attend the upcoming Town Council Meeting to discuss the various possibilities and work together towards viable solution. Thus far, he has neither agreed to any of the proposed options and neither he nor a representative of his office will be attending the town meeting on Thursday to work on a solution. We are hopeful that after the first of the school year the matter will be settled, but are attempting to prepare ourselves for the next step in the process in the event it is not.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but IF someone approached my daughter at a bus stop, I would take it as my responsibility to ensure her safety..

Why is it always someone else's responsibility?

Secondly, how long has the bus stop been at this location, and why is it now a problem?

I also don't understand what the location of the nearest house has to do with anything. Are you going to move the bus stop nearer someone's home, than force the owners to be home while children are present at the bus stop?

AND we are talking about middle school and high school students? Young adults that SHOULD know better than to get into a stranger's car, or SHOULD know better than to play in the middle of a busy street?

wendyocurrie

We are taking responsibility to have the bus stop moved to an inherently safe location. Please see the county policy as quoted earlier in the discourse. Review the clause concerning egress.

Last edited:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If Chesapeake Village is a HOA with private roads the School Board will have to execute an agreement with the HOA that permits school busses to service those houses within the sub-division fronting those private roads. Is the HOA willing to do that?

I haven't been up there since the first couple houses were built so this question has to be asked: is there adequate turn around space for a school bus to manuever in the sub-division? A lack of space would mitigate against full-size busses even going in.

You're not going to get a Deputy posted at the current stop, by the way. You'd be laughed out of the Sheriff's Office, although they might monitor it for a few days.

On a general note, don't y'all just hate people who ask a question and then argue about the answer?

padowne

How long have you lived there? Did you consider these issues when purchasing a home in that development? The road in front of that development is wider than most places on Bayside which gives the kids an oppportunity to be quite a distance away from the cars traveling on the main road. My elementary school kids catch the bus on Summer City Blvd. There is no shoulder nor sidewalk for the kids to stand on. I asked for the stop to be moved off the main road and was told that it was also against policy. They have those policies for the safety of all involved. I was not happy with being told no either so to ensure my children's safety I either take them to the bus stop or have another adult do so. I will continue to do this until I feel they are mature enough to handle the responsibility of being there alone or move to a home that the bus comes down the street.