I couldn't believe this....

limblips

PREMO Member
But it just happened to me. I went to the station to get gas for the generator and as I was getting in the sled, a woman next to me asked me something. I didn't hear her so I said pardon me. She then asked me if I would keep an eye on her young boy (maybe 2) in the car while she went in to pay for her gas! I did, but it amazes me that she would do that. She was lucky this time since I am not a pedo, serial killer or other crazy. I told the wife and she was livid!

flyingdog

I would have been afraid of her disappearing and winding up with the kid ...

:yeahthat:

I also have to say, that odds are you are not any of the things you cite. Now if you said to her (without her asking) 'hey I'll watch 'em while you go pay' then I would be nervous. I would NEVER pick up a hitchhiker but I did ask some guy walking in the pouring rain yesterday if he needed a ride (not hitching). I would never do what she did, but I am not sure the risk is that high.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I would tell her to give me the money and I will pay for your gas and you watch the kid..I would do it...promise...:evil:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would have been afraid of her disappearing and winding up with the kid ...

^This^

I've done that before when my kids were small and done it for others. It's part of that old fashioned community thing we've read about in books.

Wow....that's really scary, it only takes a second for something terrible to happen. I hope she doesn't do this all the time. I mean, I know how "inconvenient" it is to unbuckle the seat and drag kiddo in just to pay for gas but that's part of being a parent...it's what you do. That, or pay at the pump with your card :yay:

rpgreene

But it just happened to me. I went to the station to get gas for the generator and as I was getting in the sled, a woman next to me asked me something. I didn't hear her so I said pardon me. She then asked me if I would keep an eye on her young boy (maybe 2) in the car while she went in to pay for her gas! I did, but it amazes me that she would do that. She was lucky this time since I am not a pedo, serial killer or other crazy. I told the wife and she was livid!

=======================================================

Sure they could care a less since they would just plop out another welfare kid if anything happened to little johnny.

officeguy

After the crazyness that happened earlier this year up in Calvert where the mom got arrested for leaving the kids in the car while she paid in the store, that ladies approach sounds entirely reasonable.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Sure they could care a less since they would just plop out another welfare kid if anything happened to little johnny.

Who said anything about her being a welfare Momma? :confused:

limblips

PREMO Member
:yeahthat:

I also have to say, that odds are you are not any of the things you cite. Now if you said to her (without her asking) 'hey I'll watch 'em while you go pay' then I would be nervous. I would NEVER pick up a hitchhiker but I did ask some guy walking in the pouring rain yesterday if he needed a ride (not hitching). I would never do what she did, but I am not sure the risk is that high.

A quick question. What is an acceptable level of risk for your child?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A quick question. What is an acceptable level of risk for your child?

Oh stop. Your kid could be shot up by a classmate - happens all the time, right? - yet you still let him go to school. He could fall off the monkey bars and get a concussion, but you still let him play. He could drown in the bathtub, but you still let him bathe. Hell, he could fall down and hit his head against the coffee table, yet you still let him learn to walk.

It's more likely that your teenager will kill himself by cracking up his car than be abducted by a stranger - yet you still let him drive.

I mean, really.

Uhh rude, who said she's on welfare? And, if she didn't care at all she would have just left him there without asking anyone anything.

That said, I completely disagree with what this Mother did.....bad decision in my opinion :yay:

Who the hell goes in to pay for gas these days? :faint:

Got me :shrug:

Oh stop. Your kid could be shot up by a classmate - happens all the time, right? - yet you still let him go to school. He could fall off the monkey bars and get a concussion, but you still let him play. He could drown in the bathtub, but you still let him bathe. Hell, he could fall down and hit his head against the coffee table, yet you still let him learn to walk.

It's more likely that your teenager will kill himself by cracking up his car than be abducted by a stranger - yet you still let him drive.

I mean, really.

So you think asking a complete stranger at a gas station to watch your child is the same as having your child go to school, play on monkey bars, learn to walk and take a bath??

I mean, really.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So you think asking a complete stranger at a gas station to watch your child is the same as having your child go to school, play on monkey bars, learn to walk and take a bath??

Since the vast majority of child abductions and sexual abuse cases involve someone the child knows, yes. Strangers aren't likely to hurt your kid - statistics show that it's friends and family members that are the sickos.

:razz:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And, PS, as far as statistical risk factor goes, you're safer with the stranger than you are with the monkey bars, bathtub, school, or family vehicle.

Since the vast majority of child abductions and sexual abuse cases involve someone the child knows, yes. Strangers aren't likely to hurt your kid - statistics show that it's friends and family members that are the sickos.

:razz:

And, PS, as far as statistical risk factor goes, you're safer with the stranger than you are with the monkey bars, bathtub, school, or family vehicle.

statistics shmatistics.....

You realize there is this crazy thing called a check card right?

weeoweeeowee weeoweeowee weeoweeoweeee :getdown:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Who the hell goes in to pay for gas these days? :faint:

But, but, but, they told everyone to have cash on hand for emergencies. Of course of the card reader doesn't work, then I'm pretty sure the pump doesn't either.

I sell my food stamps for cash soes I can gas up the hoopty. Not everyone is a Brazillianaire like yourself, snob.