Tropical Depression 12

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
As the storm system that was Hurricane Irene diminished to a post-tropical system spreading winds and rain to New England and Canada, a new tropical depression was forming south of the Cape Verde Islands.

At 5 a.m. Monday, Tropical Depression 12 was located about 395 miles southwest of the southernmost Cape Verde Islands, according to the National Hurricane Center. The depression had maximum sustained winds of 35 mph and was moving west at 15 mph.

According to forecasters, some strengthening of the system is expected and the depression could become a tropical storm later Monday.

The next named weather system will be Tropical Storm Katia.

Tropical Storm Irene over New York state - OrlandoSentinel.com

:popcorn:

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
I'm heading for the effing mountains if they even THINK it might be like irene.

sSig_agreed.gif

Tired of being without power - no way I want to play this game all over again in a week or so.

nobody really

I need a nap
View attachment 82633

Tired of being without power - no way I want to play this game all over again in a week or so.

amen to that, not to mention trees falling everywhere, cracking and crashing all around. that's what freaked me out. That poor kid and his family in VA where the tree landed on his house. sheesh.

i'm packing up my two cats and heading for the mountains.

correction: everyone that lost their lives. jeez. what a storm.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The basement held up with very little water infiltration, plenty of food in deep freeze and new generator will be here this week. If need be I'll pick up an aero bed or two for downstairs and just go with it.

TigerTeacher

Please stop fear mongering...

From Max Mayfield, meto, in Miami...

"The National Hurricane Center (NHC) 5-day forecast has it centered somewhere to the east-northeast of the Leeward Islands by Saturday morning as a strong hurricane. There is a good reason why the NHC only makes a 5-day forecast given the uncertainties in hurricane forecasting. However, at this time it is encouraging to see the long-range U.S. Global Forecast System (GFS) model and the European Center for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) model indicating that the tropical cyclone will eventually turn northward beyond the 5-day time period. We need to watch any developing tropical cyclone in the deep tropics this time of year, but let us hope that these long-range models are correct in keeping this cyclone away from the U.S.