Rumor mill on power

rigz1381

ohmergerd
Heard from several people that SMECO/PIKE has run out of poles to get the lines fixed? Our neighbors son is a SM sheriff and he said he had heard the same rumor. Anyone else hear anything about this?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Heard from several people that SMECO/PIKE has run out of poles to get the lines fixed? Our neighbors son is a SM sheriff and he said he had heard the same rumor. Anyone else hear anything about this?

They didn't run out! Maybe low.... but not out

Pushrod

Patriot
My wife talked to a SMECO rep last night and they told her if there are poles down in the neighborhood, it will take 10-14 days to get power on past the downed poles. Don't know if that is because of a shortage of poles or not.

rigz1381

ohmergerd
Our neighbor stated the same thing with power after he spoke to the PIKE people. Apparently yesterday they were only working on main roads. I live in CRE and that would explain why they are on Gunsmoke and Tomahawk and not fixing the line hanging down on my street.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I wouldn't credit any rumors right now. Sure there are some delays in some areas with getting the power on, but it's perfectly understandable given the scope of the damage. :shrug: Think logically.

And by spreading rumors, you are just making upset people more upset. I'm really surprised a police officer would be doing anything to panic citizens, by spreading rumors. After all, he's a cop, not a Smeco lineman.

Shameful.

molly_21

Our neighbor stated the same thing with power after he spoke to the PIKE people. Apparently yesterday they were only working on main roads. I live in CRE and that would explain why they are on Gunsmoke and Tomahawk and not fixing the line hanging down on my street.

I was wondering why it was blocked off. We have downed powerlines where I live, along with some trees that are on the lines (surprised that they have not made fallen yet). But I know they have been working their butts off. People need to back off complaining about it. At least we can still do basic stuff like flush toliets and brush teech and not on well water.

rigz1381

ohmergerd
I wouldn't credit any rumors right now. Sure there are some delays in some areas with getting the power on, but it's perfectly understandable given the scope of the damage. :shrug: Think logically.

And by spreading rumors, you are just making upset people more upset. I'm really surprised a police officer would be doing anything to panic citizens, by spreading rumors. After all, he's a cop, not a Smeco lineman.

Shameful.

Someone didn't get their coffee yet this morning! :coffee:

See...the whole point of my post was to see if anyone HAD credible information. IE the guy's wife who stated they called SMECO and said 10-14 days until poles.

Panicking people? Are you kidding? He isn't going around door to door telling people this...I asked him.

rigz1381

ohmergerd
And not complaining. They are doing an AMAZING job. I have several friends who now have power because of their hard work.

I am just trying to gauge what's going on...so I and anyone else who reads this can make plans accordingly.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Nope, I have my coffee right here. I also stand by my opinion.

Ever play the game "telephone" as a kid? People are told one thing, hear something else, and report something else entirely.

Again, think logically, look at all the damage, all the trees down, and just how many people lost power. It's astounding SMECO has accomplished as much as they have in such a short period of time.

If you weren't intent on spreading rumors, perhaps you wouldn't have titled your thread in such a way, or perhaps, you would have just called and asked SMECO. :shrug:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
It would be reasonable to assume they have run out of poles but more are on the way. I wouldn't expect SMECO to keep a thousand poles on hand but to buy them as needed.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
It would be reasonable to assume they have run out of poles but more are on the way. I wouldn't expect SMECO to keep a thousand poles on hand but to buy them as needed.

I'd think they don't have extra transformers lying around. :shrug: However, ICIt has already stated they have poles. I'd think with as quickly as they got extra linemen up here, they could get poles too if they were needed. I also think they are highballing the repair date so folks will let them just work without calling every 5 minutes. I'm sure some areas are worse hit than other areas, which explains the delays.

I grew up in hurricane country. I'm not making light of anyone's trials/difficulties. However, SMECO has done an impressive job, and honestly, I wasn't expecting the majority of people to have power for at least a week after seeing some of the damage, including myself. :shrug:

rigz1381

ohmergerd
Again, think logically, look at all the damage, all the trees down, and just how many people lost power. It's astounding SMECO has accomplished as much as they have in such a short period of time.

You are absolutely right. SMECO has done and OUTSTANDING job. I did call SMECO and they wouldn't give me and answer.

And I stand by what I said also, I am thinking logically and that's why i'm trying to get information. The point of a Rumor Mill is to dis spell them and get credible information. This is why CCPS has their own on its website to answer questions people have about things happing with the schools.

Is that not also the point of the forum? To find out correct information as well?...

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
Is that not also the point of the forum? To find out correct information as well?...

sSig_agreed.gif

Seems like the OP heard a rumor and wanted to gage what other's know about the situation that might be a little closer to the "know" than them. Makes total sense to me. Not sure how their original comments were construed into sound like he was out to destroy SMECO rep or belittle what they have done for the County so far.

stew77

I have nothing but praise for the guys (and gals??) that are out restoring power for the county! They are doing a outstanding job..so NO slams! I say: Keep up the outstanding work! and if you need some water, or evan a beer come by my place, ad I really approciate everything they are doing, and have done!!!

stars24

SMECO's website says this:

Power Has Been Restored to Nearly 72,000 Customers

At 1 a.m. on Sunday, August 28, SMECO had approximately 108,800 customers without power. Major restoration efforts have been underway since the storm hit, and nearly 72,000 customer-members have had their power restored. The co-op is undertaking repairs to more than 200 broken utility poles that need to be replaced. SMECO estimates outage restoration will be substantially completed in Charles County on Wednesday, in Calvert County on Thursday, and in St. Mary’s County on Friday.

In addition to the hundreds of people SMECO has working in the field, customer service personnel are working around the clock to assist customer-members. From 2 p.m. Saturday until 5 p.m. Monday, SMECO took 65,000 calls through its Contact Center and automated voice systems.

Customers without power should call SMECO’s Outage Hotline at
1-877-74-SMECO or 1-877-747-6326.

awpitt

Main Streeter

One would hope that a SM sheriff wouldn't be helping to spread rumors.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

Thank you!

And yes more poles ARE on the way to EVERYONE on the east coast!
And these guys are busting butt

Also there are many areas that have 5 -to 10 poles down at a time.. so it takes time to replace poles and the equipment on the pole... so maybe anywhere from 1 -2 HRS per pole... do the math please... it takes time
And not to mention he guys will make sure they r safe so the pull everything else off so no chance of a generator back feeding

DEEKAYPEE8569

Thank you!

And yes more poles ARE on the way to EVERYONE on the east coast!
And these guys are busting butt

Also there are many areas that have 5 -to 10 poles down at a time.. so it takes time to replace poles and the equipment on the pole... so maybe anywhere from 1 -2 HRS per pole... do the math please... it takes time
And not to mention he guys will make sure they r safe so the pull everything else off so no chance of a generator back feeding

I thought, when you are using a generator to power appliances or whatever in your house, you turn off the main, power the generator and only turn on whatever breakers you need. Doesn't turning off the main prevent back feeding?