Important Info for Calvert County residents

MISTYM1223

I am not sure if this has been posted yet but I checked and couldn't find anything. This article can be found at SoMdNews.com

Insurance ‘Cyclone Clauses’ might be avoidable in Calvert
Due to fact that no hurricane warning issued

by LAURA BUCK, Staff writer More News

Calvert County residents making Hurricane Irene-related insurance claims may be able to avoid their insurance companys’ “Cyclone Clauses” making them pay a higher deductible than they otherwise would.

A press release from Maryland Insurance Commissioner Therese M. Goldsmith issued Thursday stated that to lawfully impose a percentage deductible for hurricane damage, the insured’s home must be located in a part of Maryland that was subject to a hurricane warning.

The press release said that according to The National Weather Service a hurricane warning was never issued for Calvert County though they were issued in Caroline, Dorchester, Somerset, St. Mary’s, Talbot, Wicomico and Worcester counties.

“If an insured’s home is not located in a part of the state that was subject to such a hurricane warning then a percentage deductible may not be imposed,” the press release said.

Several Calvert County residents and their insurance companies explained the Cyclone Clauses stating that when home damage occurs during 24 hours of a natural disaster, a claim deductible becomes 5 percent of a person’s home value rather than the usual $500 to $1,000 deductible.

Insurance companies Allstate and Nationwide were said to have had this type of clause.

Good info! I was wondering why some people had such high deductibles. I think on Tuesday, I will call State Farm to see if this is written into my policy. Thanks for passing this along!!