Why do people...

~mellabella~

slam on their brakes when driving past a well-placed cop? By the time you see them, they already know you were speeding. I can understand slowing down, but why slam on the brakes? It is just instinct? Please enlighten me on this seemingly pointless behaviour.

bcp

In My Opinion
slam on their brakes when driving past a well-placed cop? By the time you see them, they already know you were speeding. I can understand slowing down, but why slam on the brakes? It is just instinct? Please enlighten me on this seemingly pointless behaviour.

I have often wondered why people slam on their brakes for the police too.
Most of them just got done tailgating me and acting like #######s because I was doing the speed limit.
If in fact I was in the wrong and they were in the right, would it not seem reasonable that they would keep going the same speed and I would floor it to try and make it look like I was going faster?

I love watching the officer come out after these idiots.

Love it. :lol:

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Same when they have someone pulled over- why slam on the brakes? they're committed! Move out of the near lane if safe to do so and proceed as normal!

~mellabella~

Same when they have someone pulled over- why slam on the brakes? they're committed! Move out of the near lane if safe to do so and proceed as normal!

:yeahthat:

That's something I've noticed a lot lately...people don't get over when a cop has someone pulled. I try to do that as often as I can for the safety of the cop. Other people just don't seem to care.

Qualify: If you cannot move over, you ARE supposed to slow down to 'a safe speed'. But I cannot find anywhere that says what that speed might be.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
My husband does this and says it is a respect thing. Drives me crazy.

I have 2 brothers who are police officers and they agreed with him. They said if you are speeding and see a police officer it is more respectful to hit the brakes to slow down to the speed limit to show that you know you are in the wrong then to continue to speed.

The people who slow down are more likely to convince the cop not to leave his spot and pull them over. (police officers words, not mine)

Freefaller

New Maryland law

That's something I've noticed a lot lately...people don't get over when a cop has someone pulled. I try to do that as often as I can for the safety of the cop. Other people just don't seem to care.

The State of Maryland recently enacted a "Move Over" law. You must move over (or slow down if you can't move over) for emergency vehicles on the shoulder of the road. If you don't, you're subject to a $150 fine. My nephew learned this the hard way!

bcp

In My Opinion
My husband does this and says it is a respect thing. Drives me crazy.

I have 2 brothers who are police officers and they agreed with him. They said if you are speeding and see a police officer it is more respectful to hit the brakes to slow down to the speed limit to show that you know you are in the wrong then to continue to speed.

The people who slow down are more likely to convince the cop not to leave his spot and pull them over. (police officers words, not mine)

wouldnt it show more respect of the law not to be speeding in the first place?

I never hit my brakes when I see radar. Most the time I wave to the officer.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Even when a cop has someone pulled over on the opposite side of the road, people will do this.

I think one of the reasons for it is... If they do get pulled over the cop wont have to ask "Why didn't you bother to slow down when you saw me? You just kept on pluggin' away at 15 over the limit. Triple fine for you!"

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I look at it this way: In Calvert there is a relatively new tactic where the speed trap consists of innocuous looking vehicles on the shoulder with one or more cruisers mixed in. I've not been caught by them, but have noticed them on the opposite shoulder gunning me in the oncoming lane. Very clever indeed. But this morning at 5 something when I was on my way to work and looking for possible police vehicles behind, in front, on the side, etc., I realized that their tactics have forced me to be more alert of my surroundings. Situational awareness saves lives. Even though it bothers me that they're doing speed limit enforcement instead of a few other things like watching intersections, I have to admit they're doing something that really does have a positive effect on my personal safety.

Kudos to Smokey the Bear.

Sweet 16

^^8^^

I don't understand the brake-slamming technique either. Taking your foot off the gas will cause your car to slow down as well. If he's gonna get you, he's gonna get you, but this way, you don't cause the people behind you to lock up.

The other thing I don't understand is people traveling in the fast lane, and a police cruiser pulls up behind them. Instead of moving out of the officer's way, they slow down to below the speed limit and continue on in the fast lane with the cruiser trapped behind them and also trapping all the other cars around them into one big clump. Just get over and let the officer go on his merry way you morons!

bcp

In My Opinion
You must have LOTS of money to pay them titchets.

my last speeding ticket was in 1986.

I dont speed. Im one of those people that everyone complains about as they fly by me, then they end up right with me after jamming their brakes to avoid their ticket.

Im just saying, if what I do is wrong, and what others do is right, I should be the one worried when the cop pops up, not the others.

BOP

Now that it's a law, well, by gawd, Southern Marylanders are going to do EXACTLY the opposite.

pelers

Qualify: If you cannot move over, you ARE supposed to slow down to 'a safe speed'. But I cannot find anywhere that says what that speed might be.

I just imagine myself standing on the shoulder... what speed would I be not terrified of cars whipping past? Back when I was a young'un :jet: and had a junker for a vehicle I spent quite a bit of time on the side of the road waiting for a rescue. Getting blown past at 70+ mph is SCARY.

Now, if I have to pull over for something, I always make sure I get as far off the road as possible. If I can't move over for emergency vehicles I usually slow down to 40-45ish on the highways. A bit slower if I don't have people crawling up my tailpipe.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I dont speed. Im one of those people that everyone complains about as they fly by me, then they end up right with me after jamming their brakes to avoid their ticket.

Im just saying, if what I do is wrong, and what others do is right, I should be the one worried when the cop pops up, not the others.

:high5:I'm the one quite happy to follow very sedately behind you!:buddies: