Ok, I'm stupid

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Ok everyone can laugh at me after I get this all figured out but PLEASE help now. I'm a huge ding-dong because I got a speeding ticket back in March and was supposed to go to court for it last week. Well guess who forgot about going to court. That's right, it's me. So since I didn't pay the fine or appear at court I should have a warrant out for my arrest? Anyway, My court papers are at home and I know there was an 800 number on there that you could call and pay the fine by CC instead of appearing for court. Does anyone know what that number is or if I can even still do that. Please tell me they're not going to come take me away for getting a $60 ticket.... Remember advice first, laughter second.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well I know from personal experience recently, you have one more option. If you pay the states attorney double the fine, they make the ticket go away. So for 120.00 it never happened. Just imagine how much you will save on insurance. You could always call and say you were out of town on a family emergency also and then ask them what you can do. Call your states attorneys office and they should be able to help.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jeneisen
Well I know from personal experience recently, you have one more option. If you pay the states attorney double the fine, they make the ticket go away. So for 120.00 it never happened....
Isn't that called bribery? :wink: :lol:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Pixie - I am guessing you got the ticket in charles cty -
Call the Charles Cty office of the cty Attorney 301.645.0555 or metro line 301.870.2260 explain your situation and usually they just want it resolved - not a warrant, unless you do this every week Let me know if it was state pd or another cty.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Update

Thanks for the # Mig. It was the wrong # but they gave me the right one. I needed District Court. Thank God there is no warrant out for my arrest or anything crazy. I can mail in my $60 and I'll be fine! Whew..... Ok you can all laught now.

S

*sunkist girl*

All you have to do is call the District court in your area, they will look up the citation, you have three choices

Pay in person
mail in a payment, but since you missed the court date I would not do that
Obtain the 1-800 number from your Districe court and pay the citation by phone

Trust me on this, I work there for St. Marys

jeneisen

Indy Bound
No, its completely legal. Instead of doing community service, I didn't have time so I asked if I could pay double the fine and what they do is make a donation in my name to the states attorneys office. My sister did it when she was pregnant b/c they wanted to paint a school house when she was 8mts and she asked if there were any other options. I swear its legal. I have papers to prove it.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Originally posted by jeneisen
No, its completely legal. Instead of doing community service, I didn't have time so I asked if I could pay double the fine and what they do is make a donation in my name to the states attorneys office. My sister did it when she was pregnant b/c they wanted to paint a school house when she was 8mts and she asked if there were any other options. I swear its legal. I have papers to prove it.

Jeneisen is correct here - except that you can only do this for your first ticket. I washed fire trucks for 4 hours when I was 16 so that my parents wouldn't find out I got ticketed for speeding within 2 weeks of getting my license!! With community service, or apparantly a donation, the ticket is removed from your record - but you can only do it once and only if it is your first.

Cracka

Just wondering,.....

Pixie when you got pulled over did you attempt to come up with an excuse or anything?Just curious,...I always just figure they got me and don't even think about it,but I have heard it works sometimes.

G

giggles04

Oh my goodness Pixie... too funny. I'm glad you got it straight girly.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
The double or triple the fine "donations" are actually donations to the Project Graduation program administered in-part by the States Attorney's office in St. Mary's.

K

Kizzy

Pixie you just reminded me that I have a parking ticket to pay. I need to call the campus PD and get the information. I lost that stupid ticket and got a notice in the mail and lost that too! Gezzz your not alone.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Re: Just wondering,.....

Originally posted by Cracka
Pixie when you got pulled over did you attempt to come up with an excuse or anything?Just curious,...I always just figure they got me and don't even think about it,but I have heard it works sometimes.

You know I'd probably get out of a lot more tickets if I'd just be nice. I'm so pissed that I got pulled over I go into total b!tch mode.

cop - "Ma'm do you know how fast you were going?"

me - "Apparently a little too fast."

God I hate traffic cops. Well I don't hate them, it just p!sses me off big time. They're just doing what they're told to do. Radar traps are just a money maker it has nothing to do with public safety. If they were worried about people being safe they'd be out looking for the people that drive like idiots weaving in and out of traffic, running red lights not nabbing people for doing 52 in a 40. Give me a break!

voter

Save your time & money, pay $60 and take the points.
Insurance companies have closed the loophole on rates based on points.
They now look at your driving record and the only person that can wipe it off your record is the judge. He will only do that if you appear in court and he would basically have to rule in your favor or throw the case out, both are highly unlikely.
I got three tickets out-of-state in a two month span which resulted in zero points in Maryland, but since VA notifies MD of the violations MD entered the "moving" violations on my record, still with zero points. As my luck would have it I was chosen randomly by state farm for a check and they dropped my coverage on me with 3 "moving violations", even though I had zero "points" on my driving record. Check with your insurance company to see how they determine rates before you spend hours slaving for the community only to remove points that do not matter to the insurance company anyways. And as long as you stay below the 12 points allowed by MD to keep your license your ok.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
I think if you're nice to them, and it's a nice day, if you conduct yourself in Nice-Mode (not "b!tch mode,") and just said "I had my mind somewhere else -- thinking about a project at work. Do you think I can get just a warning?" Most officers would seriously consider letting you off. (Unless you come back with more moving violations on your record, or your speed was really excessive and reckless.) Be nice and ask for a break. Don't expect a break just because you're being nice. You rarely get what you want without asking for it.

"Apparently a little too fast" might be a touch too sassy if you want a break! (Even though most men like a woman with a bit of attitude!) :razz2:

Voter - in St. Mary's, when you do community service or make a donation to Project Grad, your violation goes on Stet Docket. This keeps it off of your record, and the charge is expunged after a certain period of time. (Unless you get another ticket and then you have both of them to deal with!) This is how I understand the process to work based on past experience.

Last edited: