For SMECO, When Does No Mean No?

wolfdad

A new recommended motto for SMECO: "our lights are on to remind you that we are the only game in town and will do whatever we want on your property."

Recently, SMECO came out with their latest "big brother" entry called the "Cool Sentry" program and, btw, there is nothing cool about it.

Our family (including a severely handicapped son), in writing to SMECO, opted out of the "Not so Cool Sentry" program.

Yesterday (27 September), our son calls and tells us he can hear drilling on the foundation of our home. Our obvious first thought was that somebody was breaking into our home, however, discretion being the better part of valor and both my wife and I being approximately 45 minutes from home, I immediately headed for our home. By the time I got home, our son had called again and said the drilling had stopped.

When I arrived at our home, there was a door tag on our front door stating that the "Cool Sentry" device had been installed and was functioning properly.

Needless to say, my wife and I were both extremely angry and got on a conference call with SMECO (by the way, our first attempt for a conference call was with "Ron," who promptly hung up on us). The second representative stated that SMECO had, in fact, received our "opt out" and the installation order had been cancelled (guess somebody blew that out their butt). We requested a supervisor and got a gent by the name of *&*&*&* (name with held and, btw, this guy has a real future in the fast food industry, because he has no clue regarding customer service). During his conversation, he repeatedly contradicted himself, the most notable instance was when he said, "if the installation was going to be done today, you would have received a phone call from us and since you didn't get a phone call, it must not have been installed." As stated, a real solid candidate for the fast food industry or possibly a Great Mills Road traffic cone (now, there's job security).

SMECO stated that they would immediately send someboy out to remove the device. Well says I...not so fast and the next SMECO employee that steps foot on our property without our expressed and written permission, will be treated as a trespasser and the police will be called. So, that is where it now stands. "Big Brother," once again has arbitrarily imposed his will.

Oh, and just a couple of details on the installation. First of all, they do not have to enter your home, however they do enter your outside heating/cooling unit along with putting a large, ugly box on your home. Our heating and cooling system had been replaced only three years ago and now, I strongly suspect that SMECO's stupidity has voided our warranty. And, as an oh, by the way, SMECO admits that not all of the "Cool Sentry" devices work as advertised, so I guess if the installation causes a fire, SMECO, as they did in Mechanicsville, will claim no fault.

So be forewarned that, even with notification in writing that you want to opt out of the "Cool Sentry" program, SMECO may impose their will for your well being.

Oh, and for those of you who have been around southern Maryland, some of you might remember another SMECO fiasco in Mechanicsville, involving a sign on a real estate company that SMECO screwed up, resulting in a fire in the building. The sign used to be a St. Mary's county landmark....."No, SMECO has not settled, yet."

And, no, my wife and I are not done with SMECO yet, but our course of action will remain known only to us. To SMECO, we would say, civally of course, if you haven't learned to "sweat bullets," you should be taking a class. And, that, by being "the only game in town" also includes some heavy duty responsibilities that we are about to acquaint you with.

An "opt out" should be just that... this is scary as hell that they are doing this to their customers. :boo:

I believe I"m going to have to make a sign to put near my air conditioning units that I have opted out and do not want them monkeying around with my house or units.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
A new recommended motto for SMECO: "our lights are on to remind you that we are the only game in town and will do whatever we want on your property."

Recently, SMECO came out with their latest "big brother" entry called the "Cool Sentry" program and, btw, there is nothing cool about it.

Our family (including a severely handicapped son), in writing to SMECO, opted out of the "Not so Cool Sentry" program.

Yesterday (27 September), our son calls and tells us he can hear drilling on the foundation of our home. Our obvious first thought was that somebody was breaking into our home, however, discretion being the better part of valor and both my wife and I being approximately 45 minutes from home, I immediately headed for our home. By the time I got home, our son had called again and said the drilling had stopped.

When I arrived at our home, there was a door tag on our front door stating that the "Cool Sentry" device had been installed and was functioning properly.

Needless to say, my wife and I were both extremely angry and got on a conference call with SMECO (by the way, our first attempt for a conference call was with "Ron," who promptly hung up on us). The second representative stated that SMECO had, in fact, received our "opt out" and the installation order had been cancelled (guess somebody blew that out their butt). We requested a supervisor and got a gent by the name of *&*&*&* (name with held and, btw, this guy has a real future in the fast food industry, because he has no clue regarding customer service). During his conversation, he repeatedly contradicted himself, the most notable instance was when he said, "if the installation was going to be done today, you would have received a phone call from us and since you didn't get a phone call, it must not have been installed." As stated, a real solid candidate for the fast food industry or possibly a Great Mills Road traffic cone (now, there's job security).

SMECO stated that they would immediately send someboy out to remove the device. Well says I...not so fast and the next SMECO employee that steps foot on our property without our expressed and written permission, will be treated as a trespasser and the police will be called. I think you are wrong here. You have no case whatsoever if you do not allow them to remove the device. They offered to make it right and you prevented them from doing that. So, that is where it now stands. "Big Brother," once again has arbitrarily imposed his will.

Oh, and just a couple of details on the installation. First of all, they do not have to enter your home, however they do enter your outside heating/cooling unit along with putting a large, ugly box on your home. Our heating and cooling system had been replaced only three years ago and now, I strongly suspect that SMECO's stupidity has voided our warranty. And, as an oh, by the way, SMECO admits that not all of the "Cool Sentry" devices work as advertised, so I guess if the installation causes a fire, SMECO, as they did in Mechanicsville, will claim no fault.

So be forewarned that, even with notification in writing that you want to opt out of the "Cool Sentry" program, SMECO may impose their will for your well being.

Oh, and for those of you who have been around southern Maryland, some of you might remember another SMECO fiasco in Mechanicsville, involving a sign on a real estate company that SMECO screwed up, resulting in a fire in the building. The sign used to be a St. Mary's county landmark....."No, SMECO has not settled, yet."

And, no, my wife and I are not done with SMECO yet, but our course of action will remain known only to us. To SMECO, we would say, civally of course, if you haven't learned to "sweat bullets," you should be taking a class. And, that, by being "the only game in town" also includes some heavy duty responsibilities that we are about to acquaint you with. Are you serious? You're about to waste yours, the courts and SMECO's time with your petty suit.
SMECO's lawyer: "Your honor, we did make a mistake. And when my client offered to correct it, Mr. XXX refused to let us. We are and have been willing and ready to remove the device installed in error."

Judge: "Well Mr. XXX, why wouldn't you let them remove the device?

Mr. XXX: "Because I didn't use common sense your honor."

Judge: "I hereby order that SMECO be allowed to enter the premisis to remove the device and patch any holes. You could have saved yourself a ton of lawyer fees Mr. XXX had you simply allowed them to correct their error."

Last edited:
This makes at least 2 customers who have opted out only to have it installed against their wishes. SMECO's got some 'splainin to do.

vince77

unfortunate yes, civilly probably worth about $30.....doubt they're sweating bullets over this, but it sure has you worked up, that's reasonable, but may be time to let it go....

Vince

I opted out a long time ago. Haven't had them try to install their cool sentry yet. :shrug:

I opted out a long time ago. Haven't had them try to install their cool sentry yet. :shrug:
Sounds like it doesn't matter that you and I have opted out and that there could be holes drilled in the side of our house and our air units violated at any time.

awpitt

Main Streeter

SMECO stated that they would immediately send someboy out to remove the device. Well says I...not so fast and the next SMECO employee that steps foot on our property without our expressed and written permission, will be treated as a trespasser and the police will be called. So, that is where it now stands. "Big Brother," once again has arbitrarily imposed his will.

And, no, my wife and I are not done with SMECO yet, but our course of action will remain known only to us. To SMECO, we would say, civally of course, if you haven't learned to "sweat bullets," you should be taking a class. And, that, by being "the only game in town" also includes some heavy duty responsibilities that we are about to acquaint you with.

This doesn't rise to the level of "Big Brother imposing his will." It's just another case of poor customer service and poor communication within SMECO.

SMECO did screw up but it sounds like they've offered to correct the problem for free and you're not allowing them to do that. So, at this point, if you're upset with the little box that's attached to your house, the only person you can complain to is in the mirror.

unfortunate yes, civilly probably worth about $30.....doubt they're sweating bullets over this, but it sure has you worked up, that's reasonable, but may be time to let it go....

I suspect more than that if they drilled holes thru the siding. Some of the older sidings can't be matched. I'll be damned if I'll let them just squeeze a blob of sealant in the hole.

Vince

Sounds like it doesn't matter that you and I have opted out and that there could be holes drilled in the side of our house and our air units violated at any time.
Not a big deal. If they put one on, they'll be out the next day removing it. I don't sweat the small sh##. :shrug:

MadDogMarine

This doesn't rise to the level of "Big Brother imposing his will." It's just another case of poor customer service and poor communication within SMECO.

Maybe not yet. They need to get all the smart meters installed first.
Which,by the way, you can't "opt-out" of.

Maryland Gets Ready for Smart Electricity Grid Technology - Southern Maryland Headline News

Then the fun really starts
--------------------------------------------------------------
Power Records, Thermal Imaging Fair Game in Marijuana Grow Case - Criminal Law - U.S. Eighth Circuit

Courts Say Police Can Use Utility Records to Bust Grow-ops | Suite101.com
--------------------------------------------------------------

"The Supreme Court has held repeatedly that the Fourth Amendment does not prohibit the obtaining of information revealed to a third party and conveyed by him to Government authorities"

":the affidavit explains that Investigator Sears obtained the electricity usage records for the Crofton residence, which was “unusually high for [a] person that lived at the residence continuously."

No. 10–3111. - UNITED STATES v. McINTYRE - US 8th Circuit

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
This makes at least 2 customers who have opted out only to have it installed against their wishes. SMECO's got some 'splainin to do.
Why should anyone have to "opt out?" The consumer should be able to "opt in" on their own time, when they want. This program is costing more than it is saving.

softtouch

That big brother you are worried about probable forces the Co-op to supply you with power even if they would rather not have you for a member.

I don't think there is a law against generating your own electricity.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

That big brother you are worried about probable forces the Co-op to supply you with power even if they would rather not have you for a member.

I don't think there is a law against generating your own electricity.

Does anybody around here; businesses included; do this?
I'm sure, if they did, SMECO or the B.O.C.C.'s or Chamber of Commerce.....somebody would say something; especially if this person or business tried selling the power back to SMECO and/or the company they buy power from.

thatguy

Does anybody around here; businesses included; do this?
I'm sure, if they did, SMECO or the B.O.C.C.'s or Chamber of Commerce.....somebody would say something; especially if this person or business tried selling the power back to SMECO and/or the company they buy power from.

anybody can, you just need to get an agreement with semco to sell your excess back from what i understand. The problem is that it is generally more expensive to generate your own electricity.

TheOne

The smeco guy just showed up at my house and said he was here to upgrade my house and tried to put that #### in here. I told him to get off my property.

TheOne

So it looks like they are saying they are upgrading the existing load management devices to newer ones. The only problem is that the houses they are showing up at are the houses that do not have load management devices in the first place. So I'm guessing that since they are not getting alot of takers on this cool sentry bulls@@t they are coming out and feigning ignorance when confronted, but if you are not home then you are in by default. Bunch of god damned crooks....