Late 60s/Early 70s AM Radio Stations

cissp

Cyber Cop
I lived in PG County, first in Oxon Hill, then Marlow Heights mostly, in the mid 60s to the mid 70s. At this time, Top 40 radio was at its peak, and we had some radio stations that were quite popular. One was WPGC ("Good Guys Radio"), and I've been able to find some information on the old DJs and such on the Web. Another popular radio station was WEAM, but I can't find much information about this station. I also remember one of the Soul radio stations was WOOK. I *think* WEAM broadcasted out of Arlington. Does anyone remember these stations? Remember Harve Moore? The "Red Head"? Any recollections will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck Fraley
Sandymount Elementary School
Benjamin Stoddert Jr High School
Potomac High School

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by migtig
Man you are having a total flashback tonight aren't ya?
:yeahthat: I was thinking that if he were asking about west coast stuff, I could steer him in the right direction... :ohwell:

cissp

Cyber Cop
Flashback?

Yeah, flashback, boys and girls, but a good one. I've lived in N. Virginia since '85, and haven't really been back to the old neighborhoods for quite some time. Just looking to connect with those from that point in time that remember, and hopefully gain some new information (or old "flashbacks").

Thanks,

Chuck

F

Flo

Originally posted by cissp
I lived in PG County, first in Oxon Hill, then Marlow Heights mostly, in the mid 60s to the mid 70s. At this time, Top 40 radio was at its peak, and we had some radio stations that were quite popular. One was WPGC ("Good Guys Radio"), and I've been able to find some information on the old DJs and such on the Web. Another popular radio station was WEAM, but I can't find much information about this station. I also remember one of the Soul radio stations was WOOK. I *think* WEAM broadcasted out of Arlington. Does anyone remember these stations? Remember Harve Moore? The "Red Head"? Any recollections will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck Fraley
Sandymount Elementary School
Benjamin Stoddert Jr High School
Potomac High School

I remember very well WPGC in the 60's and 70's, and Harv Moore. Remember also the radio stations WEAM and WOOk, but listened mainly to WPGC. I am originally from Southern P.G. County (Aquasco). I lived in Marlow Heights, (Marlow Madison and apartments on 28th Avenue) Hillcrest Heights (23rd Parkway). and up until the early 1980's I lived in Temple Hills (Brinkley House).

Last edited by a moderator:

cissp

Cyber Cop
Re: Re: Late 60s/Early 70s AM Radio Stations

Wow, we lived pretty close to one another when you were in Marlow Heights. I do remember the Marlow Madison apartments, and I think they were the ones right next to Benjamin Stoddert Jr High School. I lived in the other direction, down Olsen Street, then right on Raleigh Road, which eventually connected to St. Barnabus Road. It wasn't always that way, because there used to be a foot bridge right at the end of Raleigh, close to Olsen. The only way you could cross was to walk. I lived off of Raleigh on Akron Street, in those duplex houses (which are still there, by the way).

Chuck

Originally posted by Flo
I remember very well WPGC in the 60's and 70's, and Harv Moore. Remember also the radio stations WEAM and WOOk, but listened mainly to WPGC. I am originally from Southern P.G. County (Aquasco). I lived in Marlow Heights, (Marlow Madison and apartments on 28th Avenue) Hillcrest Heights (23rd Parkway). and up until the early 1980's I lived in Temple Hills (Brinkley House).

F

Flo

Re: Re: Re: Late 60s/Early 70s AM Radio Stations

Wow, we lived pretty close to one another when you were in Marlow Heights. I do remember the Marlow Madison apartments, and I think they were the ones right next to Benjamin Stoddert Jr High School. I lived in the other direction, down Olsen Street, then right on Raleigh Road, which eventually connected to St. Barnabus Road. It wasn't always that way, because there used to be a foot bridge right at the end of Raleigh, close to Olsen. The only way you could cross was to walk. I lived off of Raleigh on Akron Street, in those duplex houses (which are still there, by the way).

Chuck

Yes, I remember Olsen Street very well, and the foot bridge. Can't picture Raleigh or Akron. I knew a family that lived off 28th Avenue towards Iverson Street that lived in a duplex house. I lived at the time in the apartments on 28th Avenue...Marlow Heights Apartments I believe the name was; directly behind the recreation center. I use to work at Home Beneficial Life Insurance which use to be in the breezeway between the Hecht Company and Hahn's Shoes in the early 70's, and use to walk to work. They moved to Clinton, and I don't think they are in business today. At that time I also worked nights at the Hecht Company. I also worked at Red Barn temporarily at nights (after Hecht Company) when I lived off 23rd Parkway (up on the hill; can't remember the name of the apartments). I use to walk all the way from 23rd Parkway over to St. Barnabas. Back then it didn't bother you to walk...no one bothered you. I even use to walk (at nights) over to the mall. Can't feel safe doing that now in Marlow Heights, Hillcrest Heights and the surrounding areas. :frown:

Flo

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I remember WPGC ("Where People Get Cash!") from the 70's. I used to listen to Elliott and Woodside in the morning. I also remember the album giveaways - I actually won the Kansas "Leftoverture" album from the station. I had the pleasure of hearing my name announced over the radio to the utter disbelief of my brother. :lol:

cissp

Cyber Cop
Re: Re: Re: Re: Late 60s/Early 70s AM Radio Stations

Flo,

Raleigh was the road on the other side of the foot bridge, with Olsen being on the other. Raleigh ran directly up to St Barnabus Rd. Also, Akron was off of Raleigh on the right, in fact the first right after going across the foot bridge (the Marlow Overlook apartments were on the left).

I worked at the "Dead" Barn, too! Actually, it was my first job at 14, which was in 1972, although I only worked there a little over a month. After that I worked at Jr Hot Shoppes by Iverson Mall, and ended up working there part time (full time during Summer break) for three years. I still remember those Royal Burgers and Pappy Parker fried chicken. Sadly, Marriott closed the last remaing Hot Shoppes Cafeteria three or four years ago, which was in the Marlow Heights Shopping Center. They were supposed to open a "theme" restaurant after that (featuring foods from all the Marriott owned restaurants), but that never happened.

As for walking through Marlow Heights at night, you're right, that's defintely not something any sane person would want to do nowadays! Then again, it's not the same people there, very run down now, so that's to be expected with the deterioration of neighborhoods. I'm glad to see Hect's is still there, though.

Chuck

Originally posted by Flo
Yes, I remember Olsen Street very well, and the foot bridge. Can't picture Raleigh or Akron. I knew a family that lived off 28th Avenue towards Iverson Street that lived in a duplex house. I lived at the time in the apartments on 28th Avenue...Marlow Heights Apartments I believe the name was; directly behind the recreation center. I use to work at Home Beneficial Life Insurance which use to be in the breezeway between the Hecht Company and Hahn's Shoes in the early 70's, and use to walk to work. They moved to Clinton, and I don't think they are in business today. At that time I also worked nights at the Hecht Company. I also worked at Red Barn temporarily at nights (after Hecht Company) when I lived off 23rd Parkway (up on the hill; can't remember the name of the apartments). I use to walk all the way from 23rd Parkway over to St. Barnabas. Back then it didn't bother you to walk...no one bothered you. I even use to walk (at nights) over to the mall. Can't feel safe doing that now in Marlow Heights, Hillcrest Heights and the surrounding areas. :frown:

Flo

F

Flo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Late 60s/Early 70s AM Radio Stations

Flo,

Raleigh was the road on the other side of the foot bridge, with Olsen being on the other. Raleigh ran directly up to St Barnabus Rd. Also, Akron was off of Raleigh on the right, in fact the first right after going across the foot bridge (the Marlow Overlook apartments were on the left).

I worked at the "Dead" Barn, too! Actually, it was my first job at 14, which was in 1972, although I only worked there a little over a month. After that I worked at Jr Hot Shoppes by Iverson Mall, and ended up working there part time (full time during Summer break) for three years. I still remember those Royal Burgers and Pappy Parker fried chicken. Sadly, Marriott closed the last remaing Hot Shoppes Cafeteria three or four years ago, which was in the Marlow Heights Shopping Center. They were supposed to open a "theme" restaurant after that (featuring foods from all the Marriott owned restaurants), but that never happened.

As for walking through Marlow Heights at night, you're right, that's defintely not something any sane person would want to do nowadays! Then again, it's not the same people there, very run down now, so that's to be expected with the deterioration of neighborhoods. I'm glad to see Hect's is still there, though.

Chuck

Chuck,

It has been so long since I have been in that area, though I can still visualize where Raleigh and Akron were, as I remember Marlow Overlook Apartments.

I also worked at the Hot Shoppes Cafeteria (behind the line), though only probably for a month; something like November or December of 1976, as I remember that it was the summer of 1976 that I worked for the "Dead" Barn :biggrin:, as they wouldn't let me off on the 4th of July for a family get-together, and I quit. I was one of those "mop-sweeping hostesses." :bubble:

Yes, it was disheartening loosing Hot Shoppes. I also remember Woolworths in the shopping center, and the "soda fountain" luncheon area, and of course RECTORS where I especially remember their New Years Eve parties.

I believe they still have "Steak-In-A-Sack," on the lower level by Hechts, which was also another one of my hangouts, even though considered it to be a "Greasy Spoon!" :smile:

Flo :dance:

mainman

Set Trippin
Re: Flashback?

Yeah, flashback, boys and girls, but a good one. I've lived in N. Virginia since '85, and haven't really been back to the old neighborhoods for quite some time. Just looking to connect with those from that point in time that remember, and hopefully gain some new information (or old "flashbacks").

Thanks,

Chuck
You aint missing nuttin chuck... I grew up in Shitland oops I meant Suitland... :rolleyes: I escaped in 95...:clap:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Remember Harve Moore? The "Red Head"? Any recollections will be appreciated.

:lmao: Harve Moore, the boy next door..the morning mayor show..the red head doing the football scores on Monday mornings.ie..Pittburgh Redskins 18 - New York Yankees 14. Johnny Dark(WCAO/Balt) from that era is still around, works for WBIG, an oldies station.

F

Flo

Originally posted by jazz lady
I remember WPGC ("Where People Get Cash!") from the 70's. I used to listen to Elliott and Woodside in the morning. I also remember the album giveaways - I actually won the Kansas "Leftoverture" album from the station. I had the pleasure of hearing my name announced over the radio to the utter disbelief of my brother. :lol:

I remember the 60s' 45 rpm giveaways, and my name announced!:biggrin:
("This Diamond Ring, Gary Lewis & The Playboys.")

Last edited by a moderator:

cissp

Cyber Cop
Re: Re: Flashback?

Ah, Suitland--Grit Central! :) I think right next to Suitland High was Lareign(?), the all-girls Catholic school. I also remember the "Old Ranch" something or another restaurant there. Surprised you stayed there until '95, and you must have been one of the last hold outs. Remember the old Ginos fast food restaurant?

Chuck

Originally posted by mainman
You aint missing nuttin chuck... I grew up in Shitland oops I meant Suitland... :rolleyes: I escaped in 95...:clap:

cissp

Cyber Cop
I appreciate the comments regarding WPGC, and especially the "AM and FM, Morningside" website. Just hearing the jingle brought brought back a lot of memories. I noticed no one commented on the radio station, WEAM (Arlington), though. Does no one else remember it? I seem to remember that one of there regular sponsors was "Mario's Pizza House" ("In Arlington town..."). I also remember at the time one of the Baltimore TV stations had a show called, "Upbeat".

Chuck