Baby Believed Dead Was Kidnapped

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
PHILADELPHIA - An infant believed to have died in a 1997 fire actually was kidnapped and raised by a woman who set the blaze to cover her path, authorities said. Now, the child's mother - who recognized the girl at a party by a dimple - is eagerly awaiting a reunion.

Police issued an arrest warrant for Carolyn Correa, 41, of Willingboro, N.J., on charges of arson, kidnapping and conspiracy. She remained at large Tuesday, authorities said.

"This child, now 6 years old, who has been raised by Carolyn Correa as her own, is not her own," police Capt. John Darby said.

The biological mother, Luz Cuevas of Philadelphia, saw the girl at a birthday party in January and recognized her by a dimple on her face.

At the party, she told the girl she had gum in her hair and pulled out five strands for DNA testing, Cuevas told The Associated Press on Tuesday. She said she folded them in a napkin and placed them in a plastic bag, which she locked in a safe at home, and contacted authorities.

"Because of TV, I knew they needed hair for the DNA (tests)," Cuevas said.

The girl, Delimar Vera, was placed in state custody in New Jersey. It was not clear when she would be reunited with her mother.

"When I see her, I saw that she was my daughter," Cuevas said. "I want to hug her. I want to run with her."

Delimar was thought to have perished in the Dec. 15, 1997, blaze in her family's home. A body was never found; authorities believed the infant had been consumed by the fast-moving fire.

State Rep. Angel Cruz, who helped the mother contact police after she spotted the little girl, credited "motherly instinct" for connecting mother and child.

Ever since the blaze, Cuevas held on to the belief that her child was somehow alive - partly because it didn't make sense that a window of the infant's second-floor room was found to have been open after the blaze, even though it was the middle of December, Cruz said.

After recognizing the girl, "I said to my sister, `Look, she's my daughter,'" Cuevas told WPHL-TV.

It was unclear what brought the child and her mother to the same party, but Correa apparently knew the family through the infant's father, Pedro Vera.

Vera told The Philadelphia Inquirer that Correa stopped in several times after the baby was born, saying she was pregnant. The visits waned after the fire.

Cruz said the girl would be reunited with her mother after authorities in New Jersey break the news to her about what happened.

"I mean, she's 6 years old," he told "Good Morning America." "It will be devastating to this child."

Fire officials at the time blamed the one-alarm blaze on a home-rigged extension cord connected to a space heater.

K

Kizzy

Wow, amazing. It just proves my theory, what goes around comes around and it will catch up with you in the end. Good for mom and the reunion. :clap:

Now, I hope they fricken fry the crazy a$$ bi!ch for her crime, but I'm sure she will get a slap on the wrist. Mom will never be able to get the years that were robbed from her.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I saw this story on Countdown with Keith Olberman. The kidnapper took off and they cant find her now :mad:

B

Bruzilla

First the woman that kidnapped the kid who found himself on the Internet and now this. Women kidnappers are really giving guys a bad name. Before you know it, women will start to actually get charged with kidnapping!

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by BuddyLee
I saw this story on Countdown with Keith Olberman. The kidnapper took off and they cant find her now :mad:

I hope she didn't take the little girl with her

K

Kizzy

Woman Suspected of Kidnapping and Arson Surrenders

Philadelphia (AP) - A New Jersey woman has surrendered to police in Philadelphia to face charges that she'd kidnapped an acquaintance's baby and made it appear that infant died in a 1997 house fire.

Police say Carolyn Correa is accused of kidnapping and arson.

The case came to light earlier this year. The biological mother of the child - who is now six - wound up at a birthday party that the child was also attending.

Luz Cuevas says she took one look at the dimpled little girl and instantly knew it was her daughter.

Cuevas says she pretended the little girl had gum in her hair and removed five hair strands for DNA evidence.

DNA tests confirmed her intuition.

Cuevas says Correa was a family acquaintance who initially claimed she was pregnant. However, Cuevas says Correa abruptly ceased contact after the fire.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. - With hugs and kisses, the parents of a girl who was allegedly kidnapped as a newborn six years ago were reunited with the child, officials said Friday.

Luz Cuevas and Pedro Vera met the girl at a government office in New Jersey on Thursday, the same day a judge approved a plan to grant the parents custody, said Cuevas' lawyer, Andrew Micklin.

Philadelphia-area Rep. Angel Cruz, who represents the neighborhood where Cuevas lives and accompanied her to the reunion, said the mother was "thrilled" to meet the child she had named Delimar Vera.

"She said, 'She called me mommy and she accepts me,'" Cruz said Friday on ABC-TV's "Good Morning America."

"She got a hug and kiss, her daughter sat in her lap. The moment she expected six years ago, she got it last night," Cruz said.

Cuevas and Vera are no longer a couple, Micklin said.

Authorities say the girl was taken from her crib in December 1997 by Carolyn Correa, 42, who then set fire to the home to cover up the kidnapping. Cuevas had long believed that her daughter was alive, even though authorities said she had died in the fire.

Cruz said that a language barrier between authorities and Cuevas, who speaks Spanish, may have led to confusion about whether a body had been found in the fire.

Officials say Correa raised the girl as her own until January, when the two ended up at the same birthday party as Cuevas, who had a hunch that the girl - introduced to her as Aliyah Hernandez - was really her daughter. DNA tests confirmed her hunch, and Correa was charged this week. She is being held in Philadelphia on $1 million bail.

Under the custody arrangement, Cuevas and Vera will share legal custody but the girl, who will keep using the name Aliyah, will live with her mother. Micklin said the transfer of custody will be a gradual process.

The girl does not speak Spanish and her mother speaks very little English.