Mulch or Rake? The saga of my leaf problem...

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I have been spending every free, dry weekend since early January raking leaves in my yard, as I am surrounded by trees on three sides.

I still have a lot to do, especially in the backyard where there is little-to-no grass.

My question is... being that the soil in the backyard isn't all that good to begin with, should I just mow over the leaves back there with a mulching mower, or will that even help?

Second question is... are there any tips for getting leaves up fast and easy? I used a leaf-blower a few years ago and wasn't impressed. And a lawn mower doesn't mulch it to my satisfaction. Do all you homeowners do it the old-fashioned way, with a rake?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by justhangn
I mow the leaves with the mulching mower.......

I assume it's a riding mower? I just have a little 4 HP push mower... and it just doesn't want to pick them up...

Are you pretty happy with the results?

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
We mowed ours with the bagger hooked up. Dumped the bags in the garden for compost.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by sleuth14
I assume it's a riding mower? I just have a little 4 HP push mower... and it just doesn't want to pick them up...

Are you pretty happy with the results?

I used to push mow the place with a mulcher then too, but I do have a riding mower now......yes, I'm very happy with the results.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Ehesef
We mowed ours with the bagger hooked up. Dumped the bags in the garden for compost.

Hadn't thought of that... wonder if I should invest in a bagging mower... (this fall, of course, when they're on clearance)

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by sleuth14
Hadn't thought of that... wonder if I should invest in a bagging mower... (this fall, of course, when they're on clearance)
We have a bagging mower because we have very think grass. If you don't bag it, you can't cut it the next week without the mower getting clogged.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Sharon
:yeahthat: Set at the wheels lowest point.

:lol: can't do the lowest... I skimmed the top layer of grass off part of the yard last week. But I do have it at the lowest without skimming the soil.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Ehesef
We have a bagging mower because we have very think grass. If you don't bag it, you can't cut it the next week without the mower getting clogged.

I have quite a mix of crabgrass, clover, regular grass (whatever that's called) and sand... :ohwell:

Vince

If you have an established lawn go ahead and mulch the leaves in. If it's thin, don't. It'll build up too much of a thatch and won't allow water or sunlight to get to any seed you might want to plant. Also the dead stuff builds up acid in the soil and you'll have to lime that much more. If you really want to push your lawn go to the tobacco growers and get some fertilizer like 5-10-10. Lowes has it also. Depending on how big your lawn is pick up about 1 bag of nitrogen. Don't go crazy with the nitrogen or you'll be mowing the grass twice a week.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Vince
If you have an established lawn go ahead and mulch the leaves in. If it's thin, don't. It'll build up too much of a thatch and won't allow water or sunlight to get to any seed you might want to plant. Also the dead stuff builds up acid in the soil and you'll have to lime that much more. If you really want to push your lawn go to the tobacco growers and get some fertilizer like 5-10-10. Lowes has it also. Depending on how big your lawn is pick up about 1 bag of nitrogen. Don't go crazy with the nitrogen or you'll be mowing the grass twice a week.

Like I said, I have mostly sandy soil in the backyard, and only in a few places does it actually have an established growth of grass (albeit crabgrass and clover).

How much will the nitrogen and fertilizer help if the soil is very sandy? Won't I need to pour a deep layer of topsoil?