HOA's

nutz

For those of you that choose (chose) this route, what do you think the added benefits are?

PJumper

For those of you that choose (chose) this route, what do you think the added benefits are?

A lot of new developments nowadays have HOA in trying to proptect the value of the houses in the development. If you bought a $300,000+ home I'm pretty sure you don't want somebody having an automobile repair shop next to you, or your eccentric neighbor painting the exterior of their house purple or pink. As long as the HOA enforce its policies fairly across the board, then it's fine with me. It's when they do it selectively that gets me all fired up.

DEEKAYPEE8569

A lot of new developments nowadays have HOA in trying to proptect the value of the houses in the development. If you bought a $300,000+ home I'm pretty sure you don't want somebody having an automobile repair shop next to you, or your eccentric neighbor painting the exterior of their house purple or pink. As long as the HOA enforce its policies fairly across the board, then it's fine with me. It's when they do it selectively that gets me all fired up.

.....or ANY color with a satin finish. I've seen one of those.....BLINDING it was.....

awpitt

Main Streeter

It depends on the particular HOA. There are good ones that are well run and there are bad ones that are poorly run. I used to live in a community that had an HOA. For $45 per month, we had trash pick up, common areas were maintained, snow removal for the non-county roads in the community, a clubhouse, and swimming pool in the summer.

Any exterior alterations had to be approved by the HOA. For most projects, that wasn't really a problem. During the time I lived there, I added a fence and a deck.

The thing about HOAs is that they are sort of their own town that is governed by a board of directors. They have annual elections so if you live in an HOA and want to be involved, you can run for a position on the board. An HOA, as with any organization, is as good or bad as the members make it.

luvmygdaughters

IMHO, they are ususally run by people who have too much time on their hands. I had one that would measure your grass, seriously, he would take a yard stick and hold it on your front or back lawn. Also, wouldnt permit any flags to be flown, not even the decorative ones. I had a neighbor that was retired from the Navy. He had a Navy flag his kids had gotten him. The HOA made him take it down. That was the last straw for me, I moved out.
This was some years ago on the Eastern Shore.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
It depends on the particular HOA. There are good ones that are well run and there are bad ones that are poorly run. I used to live in a community that had an HOA. For $45 per month, we had trash pick up, common areas were maintained, snow removal for the non-county roads in the community, a clubhouse, and swimming pool in the summer.

Any exterior alterations had to be approved by the HOA. For most projects, that wasn't really a problem. During the time I lived there, I added a fence and a deck.

The thing about HOAs is that they are sort of their own town that is governed by a board of directors. They have annual elections so if you live in an HOA and want to be involved, you can run for a position on the board. An HOA, as with any organization, is as good or bad as the members make it.

i pay close to that... and get CHIT .... luck if we get snow removal..

but the mexicans are always cutting the common areas!

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House

They are a complete waste of money. 90% of the fee that is paid to our HOA goes to legal and administrative fees. The rest goes to cutting a tiny bit of grass.

thatginger

Just as an interesting point to note, I got two days to closing in a condo in Woodlake in Wildewood, when I was told that the condo association didn't meet the new ('10) federal guidelines for Fannie May and Freddie Mac, which includes all federal loans. So, no condo for me or anyone else not doing a private loan or who can't afford 50% down. I'm unsure of the HOA laws regarding using federal funded mortgages, but I can't imagine that they are too far off...this will prevent you from buying or selling a home to a large majority of buyers. It never occured to me that the way a COA or HOA handles their finances could directly affect someone trying to sell a home to an approved buyer.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Let's be totally honest, the HOA is how the developer passes along the common grounds, the amenities in a neighborhood to the residents - along with the cost of maintaining them. At one time the sidewalks, roads etc would have been maintained by the local government. Now a lot of that is done by the HOA. Along with playgrounds, swiming pools, recreation areas etc.

They say the rules are there to protect your investment. But the fact is, they are enforced by people, people who are volunteers. People who are neighors and friends - and sometimes not so friendly neighors.

You hope that those running the HOA work for the common good and not in the interest of a minority.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And I wouldn't live in a neighborhood *with* an HOA. I'd rather have bathtub Jesus next door than some no-life casserole queen dictating what I can and cannot do with my property.

fredsaid2

Let's be totally honest, the HOA is how the developer passes along the common grounds, the amenities in a neighborhood to the residents - along with the cost of maintaining them. At one time the sidewalks, roads etc would have been maintained by the local government. Now a lot of that is done by the HOA. Along with playgrounds, swiming pools, recreation areas etc.

They say the rules are there to protect your investment. But the fact is, they are enforced by people, people who are volunteers. People who are neighors and friends - and sometimes not so friendly neighors.

You hope that those running the HOA work for the common good and not in the interest of a minority.

:yeahthat: Their biggest expenses are generally trash pick-up and ground maintenance of common areas, along with long-term expenses for road maintenance/repair. They are not all bad. One way to ensure they work well is to volunteer.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I will never live in a hood with an HOA again. They have very little power to get things done. If anything gets done, it's only because there are some people who will fix their homes to comply with the rules. Most won't.

We have neighbors with cars in their back yards and broken down cars in their driveway and nothing gets done about it. I'm actually looking for a way to get the HOA eliminated. Pinefield did it, so can we...

B

BET

I will never live in a hood with an HOA again. They have very little power to get things done. If anything gets done, it's only because there are some people who will fix their homes to comply with the rules. Most won't.

We have neighbors with cars in their back yards and broken down cars in their driveway and nothing gets done about it. I'm actually looking for a way to get the HOA eliminated. Pinefield did it, so can we...

:yay: When you do, please post how you accomplished this the info may be useful for our neighborhood.

Just as an interesting point to note, I got two days to closing in a condo in Woodlake in Wildewood, when I was told that the condo association didn't meet the new ('10) federal guidelines for Fannie May and Freddie Mac, which includes all federal loans. So, no condo for me or anyone else not doing a private loan or who can't afford 50% down. I'm unsure of the HOA laws regarding using federal funded mortgages, but I can't imagine that they are too far off...this will prevent you from buying or selling a home to a large majority of buyers. It never occured to me that the way a COA or HOA handles their finances could directly affect someone trying to sell a home to an approved buyer.

What are you referring to regarding the condo association not meeting the new 10' federal guidelines? Fannie and Freddie DO NOT encompass ALL fed loans. Where did you come up with the 50% down number? If a COA or HOA has a record of mishandling their funds, and a mortgage company knows that, then yes, a mortgage company may be reluctant to provide financing.

If you really want this condo, I would strongly recommend you hire an attorney who specializes in real estate. Good luck to you; hope it works out.

nutz

I, on the other hand, wouldn't live in a neighborhood without a HOA. I don't want broken down cars, pink houses or bathtub Jesus' in my neighbors front yard. Speaking of which, wonder how Clem is doing. In his honor, :popcorn:

Across the board I would prefer more localized government. My HOA knows our neighborhood better than the Town of La Plata does, the Town of La Plata knows La Plata better than Charles County does, Charles County knows Charles County better than the State of Maryland does, the State of Maryland knows Maryland better than the Feds do. Keep it local, keep it in your best interest; not the interest of all.

St. Charles neighborhoods and even Quailwood are such fine examples of how this works out . Maybe Columbia would be a better option for you?

nutz

Let's be totally honest, the HOA is how the developer passes along the common grounds, the amenities in a neighborhood to the residents - along with the cost of maintaining them.
They say the rules are there to protect your investment.

:buddies: Just another way to get more of your dollars in their pockets. They have to put a certain percentage of the development into "green space", the marketing people then say "look what we are doing for you" and people respond, "Ooh, aah isn't that wonderful that they are thinking of me ". Swimming pools, play grounds, clubhouses, et al are the result of market research on how to sell more housing.......on smaller and smaller parcels of land.

Last edited: