Speeding Tickets...

teacherhm

I'm sure this is one of many past threads on speeding tickets, but I'm looking for some advice... any would be greatly appreciated!

About two weeks ago, I got a speeding ticket going southbound on Rt. 4 right before the Cove Pt. left turn at 8am on my way to work. I was going 70 (I know, my fault here, not making any excuses), but he reduced it to 64 in a 55. It's an $80 payable fine and a point on my license if I choose not to request a hearing. I've had the ticket and envelope in my car to mail it since then with every intention to request a hearing, plead guilty, and hope the judge waives it for me. :whistle: (I'm 23 and have a totally clean driving record.)

Today, driving down Adelina Rd. towards Sixes Rd., I was caught in a speed trap while going down hill, right when it shifts from a 50 MPH zone to a 30 MPH zone. :cds: I was going 52. In my defense, I had a 4 year old pitching a fit in the back seat and didn't realize I had just passed into the 30 zone. Nevertheless, I was unintentionally speeding. He ticketed me, reducing it to 39 in a 30. Another payable $80 fine and a point on my license if I don't request a hearing to plead guilty.

Now... what to do? Should I pay the first ticket and take the point and request a hearing for the second ticket? Pay both and accept both points? Request a hearing for both? I'm leaning towards either requesting a hearing for both or paying the first one and requesting a hearing for the second one... With my luck, I'd request for both, and it'll be the same judge... :coffee:

Advice/thoughts please? Thanks in advance!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
think you have to go to court to ask for CS......

but you had a better chance with only having one ticket.... when they see you have two in that short of time... dont think they may help.

sorry.

I know even if you get CS .. you are placed on a PBJ..... (parole before judgement) .. and if I understood it right... in those two years you have to keep your record clean and if you get another ticket .. you get the points from the first and even the ones from the new ticket.

:huggy:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
think you have to go to court to ask for CS......

but you had a better chance with only having one ticket.... when they see you have two in that short of time... dont think they may help.

sorry.

I know even if you get CS .. you are placed on a PBJ..... (parole before judgement) .. and if I understood it right... in those two years you have to keep your record clean and if you get another ticket .. you get the points from the first and even the ones from the new ticket.

:huggy:

probation before judgement..lol..parole is totally diff :killingme

Friend of mine got about 4 speeding tickets in a years time, she did CS for all of them :shrug: its worth a try, its not like they can make it worse.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
:yeahthat: Check and see if they offer community service to waive the points and the fine.

Many courthouses do.

:whistle:

thats if you have one ticket... :banghead:..
and they dont have to give you CS.

and if I remember... st. marys you check into BEFORE the court date.
.... and I thought I went to court for CS in calvert.... but I cant remember.. was long ago.

when they look things up... and see there are two tickets almost back to back.. not good

I would request a Court date.. and be up front on the first one... and tell them you did get another ticket.. and maybe it would work out...

:shrug:... maybe the officer wont even show for them

teacherhm

Probably should've mentioned this is all for Calvert County (in case that wasn't figured out by my mentioning of the roads I was on!) :)

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
probation before judgement..lol..parole is totally diff :killingme

Friend of mine got about 4 speeding tickets in a years time, she did CS for all of them :shrug: its worth a try, its not like they can make it worse.

:banghead:... thats it..... :whistle: god... what was i thinking of

see ...its been a while :angel:

:love: thanks

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Probably should've mentioned this is all for Calvert County (in case that wasn't figured out by my mentioning of the roads I was on!) :)

:huggy:.... we got it..

and Prince Fredrick helps also!!! :killingme

good luck.. and watch out!! :buddies:

SA475

"Mark It Zero"
Sorry to hear about your misfortune... I would hope for different judges if you challenged both. Same judge seeing two tickets will likely see a trend in your driving habits and make you pay the fine (plus, possibly court costs) - so it could possibly cost you more.

i'd just pay the fine myself.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I believe the words are, "you're screwed".
First ticket probably could have gotten reduced or expunged with community service / charitable donation... second ticket... screwed.

Oh, and I though 9 miles and under you only got fined so, 64 in a 55 would just be the fine not points ????

Blink in Maryland and you can find yourself in a different speed zone and not know it for miles. The way the roads are marked works in favor of the motor vehicle revenue collectors.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Sorry to hear about your misfortune... I would hope for different judges if you challenged both. Same judge seeing two tickets will likely see a trend in your driving habits and make you pay the fine (plus, possibly court costs) - so it could possibly cost you more.

i'd just pay the fine myself.

Rarely does a judge throw out a traffic ticket. In St. Mary's you need to go see the St. Attorneys Office before the hearing and speak with them.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
If you don't pay attention to your speed, try using your cruise control and allow the car to do it for you

BernieP

Resident PIA
If you don't pay attention to your speed, try using your cruise control and allow the car to do it for you

ya know, for the most part this is what I try to do. But then you get into traffic where people can't seem to drive a constant speed, instead they are all over the place.

But I doubt that would have helped when the speed limit dropped.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
ya know, for the most part this is what I try to do. But then you get into traffic where people can't seem to drive a constant speed, instead they are all over the place.

But I doubt that would have helped when the speed limit dropped.

True on the speed change but it might have saved her from the first one.

pumpkin0824

I would go to court. I got two tickets within a few days of one another and went to court for both of them and received just community service for them. About two years later I received another ticket and just paid the fine and took the point which was stupid. I ended up having to show up to court for a related fine (didnt have my license on me) and when I got there and was waiting they called me up and told me I could do community service or pay the fines. I told them I already paid the fine and they told me i could go. If it were going to be that easy I would of taken the community service because now my insurance is kicking me in the butt.

I'm sure this is one of many past threads on speeding tickets, but I'm looking for some advice... any would be greatly appreciated!

About two weeks ago, I got a speeding ticket going southbound on Rt. 4 right before the Cove Pt. left turn at 8am on my way to work. I was going 70 (I know, my fault here, not making any excuses), but he reduced it to 64 in a 55. It's an $80 payable fine and a point on my license if I choose not to request a hearing. I've had the ticket and envelope in my car to mail it since then with every intention to request a hearing, plead guilty, and hope the judge waives it for me. :whistle: (I'm 23 and have a totally clean driving record.)

Today, driving down Adelina Rd. towards Sixes Rd., I was caught in a speed trap while going down hill, right when it shifts from a 50 MPH zone to a 30 MPH zone. :cds: I was going 52. In my defense, I had a 4 year old pitching a fit in the back seat and didn't realize I had just passed into the 30 zone. Nevertheless, I was unintentionally speeding. He ticketed me, reducing it to 39 in a 30. Another payable $80 fine and a point on my license if I don't request a hearing to plead guilty.

Now... what to do? Should I pay the first ticket and take the point and request a hearing for the second ticket? Pay both and accept both points? Request a hearing for both? I'm leaning towards either requesting a hearing for both or paying the first one and requesting a hearing for the second one... With my luck, I'd request for both, and it'll be the same judge... :coffee:

teacherhm

"Funny" thing is, I'm a huge cruise control addict as it is! I have no excuse for my first ticket. I was rushing to work, running late, and knew I was going between 65-70. No excuses there. Cruise control would've helped if traffic had been more consistent, etc. Since that ticket, I've been using it no matter what on 2-4 just so that I don't have to worry about getting another... figures I get one on a back road when I actually thought I was already going the speed limit! :ohwell:

Pumpkin0824- Thank you so much for your story/advice!

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
"Funny" thing is, I'm a huge cruise control addict as it is! I have no excuse for my first ticket. I was rushing to work, running late, and knew I was going between 65-70. No excuses there. Cruise control would've helped if traffic had been more consistent, etc. Since that ticket, I've been using it no matter what on 2-4 just so that I don't have to worry about getting another... figures I get one on a back road when I actually thought I was already going the speed limit! :ohwell:

Pumpkin0824- Thank you so much for your story/advice!
ALWAYS go to court!!! If the cop doesn't show, you go home free. I got out of 4 tickets in 2010.

Judge will usually offer community service. You have nothing to lose but points & fines.

Here's some advice: SLOW DOWN!!!