Best DJ Services

jeneisen

Indy Bound
As many of you might know, I am getting married, and I need to find a DJ. I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction or warn me from using anyone. I need somone who is going to speak and keep the party moving. I want someone besides DJ Brown productions, and with a lot of wedding experience. Can anyone recommend anyone?

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by jeneisen
As many of you might know, I am getting married, and I need to find a DJ. I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the right direction or warn me from using anyone. I need somone who is going to speak and keep the party moving. I want someone besides DJ Brown productions, and with a lot of wedding experience. Can anyone recommend anyone?

I know I'm not supposed to use the board for my own personal gain, but I'm an agent and can help if you want to PM me...

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We hired the DJ from the Q on base. That was 7 years ago, so I no longer have any of the information, but if you work on the base, maybe you can stop in and inquire.

Good luck and congratulations :cheers:

blueeyes76

just out of curiousity, why don't you want to use dj brown productions?

kevin brown dj'ed at my brother's wedding reception and everybody loved him. if you specifically ask for him, he'll do it.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well I have gone to a couple of weddings that they did and they were supposed to end at a certain time then it went over and right in the middle the DJ packed up and left right then. They had booked another wedding. It was awful for the bride. I want someone who is devoting their time to me and only me. They tend to be all about the money. They have so many clients, I feel that one doesn't matter, but thats just my opinion.

blueeyes76

that's understandable.

i don't know about any of the other dj's that work for him, i do know that he doesn't do a lot himself anymore. i don't know of anybody else to recommend, good luck to you though:smile:

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I never said work for free. In fact in the instance that I spoke about the family offered to pay double and they wouldn't stay. I never said anything about free.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Forgive me for interrupting the tag team match...

I think the rational approach would be to try to find a DJ that doesn't have other responsibilities that day.
A pretty simple solution, huh?
:biggrin:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Why not just schedule and pay for a couple of extra hours right from the get-go? If you go long, no problem as it is already taken care of.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
DJ services is somewhat of a sidelight in my line of business. Any good DJ service should know that things sometimes run over and try to avoid scheduling things back to back where there could be a conflict.
We also have extensive questionnaires that include the question: "Do you anticipate this may run longer?"
Good DJ services also allow for extra time between gigs if they're going to schedule consecutive events. You not only have this issue to deal with, but the potential for breakdowns, equipment trouble, whatever.
A good DJ service also has the ability to provide a backup to deal with these kinds of situations. If he got held over and was offered double pay to stay, then he most surely could have stayed and called in a backup.
The concerns expressed by jeneisen are legitimate in regard to the company she referenced, and certainly not worthy of criticism.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Timeout!

Our DJ worked for free...actually food. :lol: He was a friend of my husband's and he did a pretty good job too. I only wish we could have met with him before the wedding, but that was my husband's job...and you know how that goes. :rolleyes:

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Originally posted by jetmonkey
Well excuse the hell out of me for taking issue with somebody for slandering a local businessman who was acting like a professional.

It wasn't slander, it was a legitimate concern. (BTW, slander is spoken, libel is written).
And if he had the experience, he'd have several ways to avoid finding himself in just such a position.
I'm in this business, indirectly, and I know how it works. I was just shedding some light on the situation.
It's all good, JET!
:biggrin:

bknarw

Attire Monitor
I'm sorry...

Well I know DJs who work down here and the demand is HUGE. You would be an IDIOT to schedule 'extra hours' after every event when you could be making money at the next one. Kevin Brown wishes there were more DJs down here to take the heat off of him. My best friend has been trying to retire from DJing for years but keeps getting sucked back in because the demand is so high. He knows the only way out is to sell his gear.

I just thought we were talking about professional companies.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
Yeah, go get a Davis DJ. You'll be real happy with that.

Relax a bit, okay buddy?
As I said, I work in entertainment, and a sidelight of my business is hiring DJ's.
I was just trying to shed some light on how people do it when they do it right.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
I believe if you have read any of my posts you would know it's not beneath me at all, but lobotomized? What is that a reference to? If you work 'in the entertainment industry' why aren't you more entertaining than that?

I just book 'em, I don't do 'em!

Now go back and get your marching orders from Beelzebub!
Love always,
BK

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Knock it off!

Here comes Mommy to break up the fight! :lmao:

Jen, it's not unusual for a DJ to have multiple bookings in a day. When you reserve them, you're expected to tell them how long you want them for - and stick to it. If your party runs over, that's not their fault.

I'll give my plug for DJ Brown - his crew is always excellent, really good at keeping the party rolling (so DO book extra time). Remember that your DJ isn't just a record-spinner - he's also the emcee. He'll introduce you, call for the special dances, co-ordinate the dollar dance, bouquet toss or any other fun things you do. DO NOT use a relative/neighbor/friend for this - get a professional. Also use a DJ that's been around for awhile - Kevin Brown has been doing this for at least 12 years.

bknarw

Attire Monitor
How could we forget, you keep REMINDING us!:lmao:

Did I mention that I work in entertainment???

And to those of you who are worried, fear not.
Jet and I are equally boneheaded, and this is but a mild argument for us.
Right, honey?